Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antemasque - Return of the Mars Volta

Options
  • 09-04-2014 7:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭

Sooooo it looks like At the Drive-In and Mars Volta's main members (Cedric Bixler Zavala and Omar Rodriguez Lopez) are best buds again. Rumors have been flying recently, and they seemed to have patched things up after the 'hiatus' was announced last year. Well, now it seems they have formed a new group with RHCP's Flea and former Volta drummer Dave Elitch called Antemasque.

I am very excited. Hopefully some of the other Volta fans on here will enjoy this news as much as myself.

and sure a bit of Volta for old times sake...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 djzap

yeah man this is very exciting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Liking the sound of this lots

first song is out now on iTunes, called 4AM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

i think its great! it's like atdi with less distortion hehe. though i do hope there is more complex / proggy stuff coming out too!

• Advertisement

Me too, though I'd love it if it was country and western if C&O were involved.

It's what I had expected Zavalaz to sound like. The sound engineer posts on the Mars Volta fan forum, said this is the tamest track they recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

As an aside, I heard yesterday that De-loused is being re-issued next month, limited to 3500 copies, on numbered gold vinyl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Not sure what to make of it yet. Sounds like a heavier version of The Coronas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

shutupandtakemymoney_zps3bbbd52e.jpeg

Omar Rodríguez-López releases some amount of music!

Bosnian Rainbows in the Button Factory a couple of years ago was amazing, roll on Antemasque at the Button Factory :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Love ATDI, love the first two Volta records....and I find these two tracks to be very underwhelming. It's missing the energy of ATDI and the complexities of Volta, it just sounds like an unfocused mess.

• Advertisement

symbolic wrote: »
    shutupandtakemymoney_zps3bbbd52e.jpeg

Omar Rodríguez-López releases some amount of music!

Bosnian Rainbows in the Button Factory a couple of years ago was amazing, roll on Antemasque at the Button Factory :)

Haha tell me about it! When the gold reissue of Deloused came out I had to mull over justifying getting one as I've already the silver version. Went for it in the end :D

I was at BR as well. It was amazing, not what I expected at all, and to be honest I'm not their biggest fan, but after seeing him plod through the Mars Volta gig in London the previous year, it was just great to see him giving it socks again.

I'd recommend any fanboys join the comatorium forum. The sound engineer for them posts there pretty frequently, someone who now seems to be Cedric posts sporadically and it's great for getting all manner of bootlegs from the good old days.

What's the best MV album? Deloused?

seachto7 wrote: »
    What's the best MV album? Deloused?

Frances or Amp for me. Amp was the first album of theirs I got into, so always held a special place, though Cygnus and Cassandra are absolutely amazing songs. Deloused is a belter, grabs you by the face from the word go.

Mixmaster Matt posted this about the next (3rd) song to be released by ANTEMASQUE:
    New song is not quite as straight ahead. 3 time signature changes and key changes. If this song is more ATDI, the next one is more TMV. Yet still rocks hard. I'm just here to remind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Frances or Amp for me. Amp was the first album of theirs I got into, so always held a special place, though Cygnus and Cassandra are absolutely amazing songs.

Yeah Cassandra is amazing. Gonna give it a spin now actually!

I really loved Bedlam in Goliath too. Thomas Pridgen just never lets up on that record. Relentless.

symbolic wrote: »
    Yeah Cassandra is amazing. Gonna give it a spin now actually!

I really loved Bedlam in Goliath too. Thomas Pridgen just never lets up on that record. Relentless.

Agreed! Conjugal Burns is probably my favourite Volta song. At the end where it gets all distorted, then you hear the riff slowly building back up before the whole song kicks in :drool:

whats your username on the coma? mine is djzap, like here. i was at the london gig in 2012, BR gig in the Button Factory later in 2012 and then the Indiependence gig last year!

djzap wrote: »
    whats your username on the coma? mine is djzap, like here. i was at the london gig in 2012, BR gig in the Button Factory later in 2012 and then the Indiependence gig last year!

I'm jimmyjoe over there. I don't post a whole lot, but that place is a mine of information.

Album out today: http://nadiesound.com/album/antemasque

Sounds amazing! It's like Volta mixed with At the Drive-In, and a sprinkling of radio friendliness. Definitely the most accessible thing they've ever done. Original 4 teaser tracks are re-mixed as well, they sound much better IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Listening to the stream now, only on the first track and it already sounds different but quite like it, will keep listening...

Some of the tracks are very meh (50000 volts). but overall not a bad. Not as good as Volta or ATDI.

3 listens already today, I guess that's the benefit of a sub 40 minute album!

Advertisement