Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids Climbing Harness?

Options
  • 09-04-2014 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

My three kids have taken up climbing. I'm buying two adult harnesses for me & my eldest from Jackson Sports this week, but I'm struggling to source two kids harnesses that my daughters will like.

They really don't like the 2014 colours of the Camp Jasper Jnrs in GO, and the only kids harness Jackson do is more expensive than I want to pay.

I found a site doing Black Diamond Wiz Kids harnesses in a purple colour the girls like (www.trekkinn.com), but they seem to be out of stock for a while.

Anyone know of anywhere in Ireland or online where I can get either the Camp Jasper Junior (in the pre-2014 grey/blue colour), or the Black Diamond Wiz Kid in purple "raspberry"?

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Sorted. Urbanrock in UK. That'll teach me not to ignore page 2 of a google search return...

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Posting this in case it's of use to anyone else out there sometime.

The Wiz Kid harnesses arrived on Friday, and I got to try them on the girls on Saturday morning. Didn't fit either of them, so I've returned them.

Black Diamond state nowhere on their website what the waist size range is for this harness, but do say in the instructions PDF on their website:

"Black Diamond’s Kids’ Harnesses are designed to fit most children age 5 to 10 and who weigh from 16 - 50 kg (35 - 110 lbs)."

My girls are age 8 (30kg) and 10 (38kg), both slim/lean, and the Wiz Kid would barely even close on the older girl, let alone align properly with the belay loop centred on her belly. Likewise with the 8 year old - with the belay loop centred on her belly, the harness was sitting askew on her - the two elastic straps connecting waist to legs were both on one side of her butt.

IMO, the BD Wiz Kid is for kids under 8, and under 30kg, and I'd consider that the absolute top end of its fit range.

So that's a bit of a lesson learned - where a waist size range isn't available, it's probably best to try on climbing harnesses in the flesh, unless you're willing to foot the bill of return costs, maybe more than once, till you find the right size.

I bought online because I was after a particular make/model/colour. If local shops don't stock/can't get the make/model you're after, it's probably worth considering compromising on the aesthetics in order to get the correct fit.

I've ordered two Camp Flints from Jackson, but in this case, Camp's website does list the waist size range for this harness, and I also got confirmation from Jackson staff regarding sizing, so I was able to determine the correct size for mine & my son's harnesses. Hopefully Camp's listed sizing is true to real physical size.

Mark

Advertisement