Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2014 thread

• 09-04-2014 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

So, it looks to be kicking off next week, but no fixtures yet.

I've asked 17 people to join up for the summer season - 15 from last season's squad and 2 new faces.

Already one person from last season won't be rejoining on a full squad member basis from the start, so if everyone else is in, we will be 16 hopefully.

With summer holidays, the usual injuries, work commitments etc I think 16 is a reasonable number.

I'll post the full squad once all is confirmed.

As usual - €120 per player for the season, this should bring in €1920, of which

€250 - refs
    €1550 - Pitch
    the rest of the money is used to purchase footballs, deep heat etc.

I will require payment to be completed before the end of May, otherwise I will need to be ruthless and remove players from the squad.

I cannot continue to be out of pocket because of this team, so if you cannot pay, then please don't join up and take advantage of other people

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭DeviantD

Hi,
    Have you got room for a fat defender for the summer?

Derek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

DeviantD wrote: »
    Hi,
    Have you got room for a fat defender for the summer?

Derek

How's the back mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭DeviantD

The Doc said i can go back playing so i will give it a go, it will take a while to get back up to speed, i am starting pilates next week to help strenghten it.

DeviantD wrote: »
    The Doc said i can go back playing so i will give it a go, it will take a while to get back up to speed, i am starting pilates next week to help strenghten it.

ah good news so welcome back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

So, this is the Summer Squad

Cathal
    Ciaran
    Cillian
    Conor
    Damo
    Darren
    Derek
    Derek McL
    Ed
    Jules
    Keith
    Kings
    Marcin
    Paddy
    SteC
    SteK
    SteMcd

You will notice a few omissions from last season, I'm sure - however I'm confident that the new faces will prove to be more than adequate cover.

Dave is unable to fully commit, due to work, but will be available when he's available and will stay involved.

Craig is recovering from an operation, and hopes to join up with the squad if and when he feels he can.

Derek is back into the squad after an injury absence.

New faces are Conor and Cillian, both of whom have played with us for extended periods in the past, so welcome back lads.

SteC is the newest recruit, he comes to the squad from being friends with DerekMcL & Co, so welcome aboard Stephen, good to have you.

Lads, this is a squad of 16, which means that each week there will be up to 5 lads who do not "start" games. I'd appreciate if people didn't get annoyed or upset if they find themselves "on the bench" in early games - or even later in the season if you've started three or four games in succession then don't start a couple. It's a squad game, we will use the squad intelligently and use the players we have to gain the best advantage in games.

Do we have 5 or 6 lads who can play across the line of 3? Yes we do. We will use that to our advantage to keep things fresh and give people a rest and punish teams who are tiring in the last 10 minutes.

Do we have three or four centre halves? Yep, again, excellent cover, and also lads who can fill in in other positions quite comfortably.

Remember, this squad won the league last year by being relentless in getting results, that is down to a strong squad who are all pulling in the same direction. I will not tolerate anyone pulling in the opposite direction. If you do feel like throwing a strop, or disappearing for a week or two then you will stop receiving the weekly texts, and won't be welcome. I don't want to get all negative, but I will remove anyone threatening the ethos of this team. I don't mind lads getting frustrated on match night, and having a go - but a quick apology once things have calmed down will be accepted. DO NOT get involved with anything over text message, I simply won't respond, and I will freeze you out.

On to payments. The cost for the season is €120. I expect at least €40 of that to be paid within the first 2 weeks of the season. If this is a problem for you, let me know - but do not NOT pay me. Do not not say anything to me. Anyone who does not have a good reason to not make payments will find themselves not playing games. It's that simple. You know now, you are not children, so don't get all stroppy if you haven't paid and find yourself not playing. The league expects payment in three installments, one early in the season, one in May and one in June - I need 75% of the payments by then, if you start falling behind and saying nothing to me, you will be removed from the squad.

Now, onwards to the new season. I don't remember a team who ever won this division twice in a row since we've been in it. We are well capable of doing this, no matter who the opposition is, we CAN beat anyone once we are all doing the right thing. Enjoy your football, do what I ask and we will get the rewards in 18 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Onwards to Victory!

We won the league last year because we had a squad, in the last 10/15 mins when others tired, we had fresh legs available to come in and keep the pace and tempo up in games and it showed, the same will be done this year and as Des said that will see us in 18 weeks time being in the mix again for the league

Onwards to Victory!

We won the league last year because we had a squad, in the last 10/15 mins when others tired, we had fresh legs available to come in and keep the pace and tempo up in games and it showed, the same will be done this year and as Des said that will see us in 18 weeks time being in the mix again for the league

Lol what nearly all our games we had the bare minimum 11 :O

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

mrDerek wrote: »
    Lol what nearly all our games we had the bare minimum 11 :O

only later in the season but we always had 1 sub at least

now that peace and love has returned lets take a look at the league.

We are 2 points behind ballalley and they have a game in hand.
    They play Brownbag next week which should be a tough game
    We play the full irish who only have 4 points from 3 games, but they have been around the block and we have played them a lot so they wont be a pushover.

After that ballalley play Ewetuppers who are currently a point behind us, we play BNYmellon who are mid table with 7 points.

We have to target 6 points from these games because Derek is right in saying the molehill could easily become a mountain if we let yesterdays defeat get on top of us. I think ballalley will drop points in one of these games and we need to make sure we do our bit and get maximum points on the board

From the league
    Hi Lads,

Please respond only if you are OPPOSED to allowing moulded studs and blades for league games.

A lot of teams are commenting that astro runners are not sufficient for the 3G pitches we are using for the summer 11 a side leagues and wish to have studs allowed.

We are suggesting that mouldies and blades now be permitted for all teams with the caveat that teams have to take the responsibility of wearing shin guards far more seriously than some have been.

Plastic or metal studs will not be allowed.

Please respond if you are OPPOSED to allowing moulded studs and blades

Thanks,
    Astro.ie

• Advertisement

Not an issue for me anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Much prefer wearing them on the Benildus pitch.

Ballalley won 1-0

Ballalley win 4-0..

The 11 a side cup competition kicks off on Friday, June 13th and will run over June/July and into August.
    Games will be played on Friday nights between 7pm and 10pm at St. Benildus College and St. Colmcilles College.

First round winners proceed in the Cup and first round losers will go into a Plate competition so everyone that plays is guaranteed two games.

In previous years there have been a number of walkovers in the first round so this year we are asking teams to OPT IN, for the cup competition.
    So if you know you will not be able to get a team out on Friday nights, it's best that we don't include you in the draw.

Also, with the reduction in fees this summer there isn't a budget to cover referee fees so each team will have to pay 12.00 euro per game for the ref, this will be payable to the ref on the night.
    The league will provide the pitches free of charge.

I'm going to say "In"

We've had a lot of submissions back with regard to footwear so we have decided to give a ruling that everyone can work with.

The rule regarding footwear does not change, studded boots (including moulds) and blades are not allowed.

However, if two teams agree that they are happy for themselves and their opposition to wear moulds, (studded boots and blades will not be allowed under any circumstances), and they have agreed on this prior to kick off then once the referee is informed he will allow them.

Teams availing of this do so at their own risk.

So if you want your players to wear moulds you need to contact your opposition before the game and agree with them that both teams can do so.
    OTHERWISE YOUR PLAYERS CANNOT WEAR MOULDS/STUDS or BLADES

You will find contact details for your opposition after you login under Division Contacts in the red tiles on the left hand side.

The referees have been informed of this and will not allow any player to wear unsuitable footwear unless BOTH teams agree.

I'm going to say "In"

Yep absolutely,aslong as we have a bit of notice we can get numbers

im more confused now than i was before

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

im more confused now than i was before

I'm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Ballalley win 4-0..

they are having the sort of season we had last year, beating all before them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 paradigm

Can we try and get match threads up a bit quicker so we can organise bodies sooner if we are short.

Exiles should give ballalley a good game this evening and hoepfully they can get a result

Ballalley drew... we could have made some ground up on then, unfortunate :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 19 paradigm

Is there a game tonight

paradigm wrote: »
    Is there a game tonight

no, no cup fixture was sent to me

Ballalley and Exter play out a 3-3 draw .

We are 3 points behind, ballalley have a game in hand but we still play them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Ballalley and Exter play out a 3-3 draw .

We are 3 points behind, ballalley have a game in hand but we still play them...
    It's f*cking on.

Yep, last weeks draw was a shame but we are right back in it

Ball alley lost 4-0, we are on top by GD, ballalley have a game in hand but at this point things are in our own hands

We have some tough games coming up though

• Advertisement

I don't think we've ever went out of the cup in the first round :D

Advertisement