Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2014 thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I don't think we've ever went out of the cup in the first round :D

what about that time Clay took a penalty and kicked the ball over the net and all the way to tallaght :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I think that might have been a second round after a 1st round walkover.

I don't think we've ever actually played a first round cup match!

This is our (incomplete) Cup record

1st round - Stab City Strikers 1-1 (3-1 pens)
    2nd - GeoDocs (1-1) (1-3 pens)

1st round - walkover
    2nd Round

1st Round - Norfolk-Inchance ( 12 ) (Cup)
    (1-1, Ciaran, Lost 4-3 on Penalties)

1st Round - Logica ( Div 6 )
    (2-1, Jules, Cillian)

2nd Round - Hunts up front ( 1 )
    (2-5, Ed, Gary)

1st round - Athletico Itfitsupmegowl FC
    5-2

2nd Round - Templeroan
    0-0, 4-2 pens

3rd Round - If There's Grass
    0-2

1st Round - The Royal Samplers
    (4-3,David Kelly (4))

2nd Round - SAP
    (4-4, 5-6 pens)

1st - walkover

2nd Round - Havent A Kalou ( 8 )
    3-3 (Derek McL(2), Steve); 10-9 on Penalties

3rd Round - Crewe Motley (2)
    2-5

1st Round - KUFC Allstars
    Walkover

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

we lost 8-0 in 2008 :eek:

we lost 8-0 in 2008 :eek:

yeah, think it was Microsoft, they mauled us that night

• Advertisement

yeah, think it was Microsoft, they mauled us that night

we only had about 5 or 6 players that night IIRC, the rest were ringers who had never played for us before that and indeed, never again played.

it was pretty a bunch of lads playing to make up 11, against the top team in division 1 at the time.

Yep, that's right.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Ballalley get a 1-0 win, the league with 6 games left is in our own hands.

Simply speaking 5 wins gets us the league. I think it'll be hard for any team to make up 16 goals especially given we play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Ballalley get a 1-0 win, the league with 6 games left is in our own hands.

Simply speaking 5 wins gets us the league. I think it'll be hard for any team to make up 16 goals especially given we play them.

5 really tough games but yeah, we can do it. We're good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Hey lads, my work team has a cup game tonight and we're stuck for numbers. Anyone fancy a game in Benildus at 8?

• Advertisement

you want me to text the group?

Frisbee wrote: »
    Hey lads, my work team has a cup game tonight and we're stuck for numbers. Anyone fancy a game in Benildus at 8?

Aye

you want me to text the group?

That'd be ideal, with Damo in we need one more person for eleven.

Mousewar wrote: »
    Aye

Legend, see you up in Benildus about 7.45 or so.

I'd say either Derek or Darren will be interested

I'd say either Derek or Darren will be interested

Yeah I figured Darren "I hang around at pitches hoping someone would ask me to play" might be my best chance :pac:

I texted Darren and Derek, I reckon Derek will ask the rest of his crew.

I asked them to post here rather than text me back, if there's nothing by 12 I'll text a few more lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

legs are sore from last nights match and iv no way of gettin to benildus but if ya still have 10 late and someones coming by me id take a few painkillers and give it a shot

Feck risking that, we need you for the rest of our season!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I texted Darren and Derek, I reckon Derek will ask the rest of his crew.

I asked them to post here rather than text me back, if there's nothing by 12 I'll text a few more lads.

I only seen this now, I was in Cork all day with work and only back now, left phone at home.

Would have played if I was about, hope you went through

• Advertisement

We did not. To say we were hammered would be an understatement. Best for your own mental state you weren't there! :pac:

just a comparison to last season, after 14 games last year, we had

32 goals scored
    13 goals conceded
    37 points

this season its

53 goals scored
    22 goals conceded
    30 points

our goals scored is crazy, shows we have gone all out and went for most games, however its left us open at the back and we are conceding alot more goals than we did last season.

i think the league is stronger, Ballalley and BNY are better than the two rivals from last year and Cork are much stronger also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

just a comparison to last season, after 14 games last year, we had

32 goals scored
    13 goals conceded
    40 points

this season its

53 goals scored
    22 goals conceded
    30 points

our goals scored is crazy, shows we have gone all out and went for most games, however its left us open at the back and we are conceding alot more goals than we did last season.

i think the league is stronger, Ballalley and BNY are better than the two rivals from last year and Cork are much stronger also.

I think we are missing paddys pace a bit at the back coupled with not having ed consistently is doing us damage.

mrDerek wrote: »
    I think we are missing paddys pace a bit at the back coupled with not having ed consistently is doing us damage.

weve conceded 4 late goals in 4 of the 5 games we have dropped points in and i think in all of them we had just the bare 11 players, i think that more than anybody missing has cost us.

Late defeat to Ballally when we pretty much had to play the entire 2nd half with 9 men. (3-2)
    Late equaliser to Ewetuppers when we should have won the game by 5 or 6 but tired in the last 10 minutes (think we started with 10 for the first 15 mins also) (2-2)
    Late goal against Full irish (1-1)
    Last night (1-1)

or put it another way, weve scored 46 goals in the 9 games we have won which is astounding, conceding only 11.

yeah but basically speaking for each additional goal we've conceded, we've scored 2, I dont think thats a particularly bad place to be in, however i think given the increase

We have scored 20% of all goals in a 10 team league.
    We've conceeded the same amount of goals as the team on top and the team in 3rd despite us playing a game more.

mrDerek wrote: »

I think theres a few things.

We've missed Ed 100%

But at centre half we've had

Murtagh/Conor for the first 3 games and conceeded two goals while scoring 15

Then we chopped and changed a bit and i think that hasnt helped, we know from experience a settled back 5 is immensely important in a good title run.

weve conceded 4 late goals in 4 of the 5 games we have dropped points in and i think in all of them we had just the bare 11 players, i think that more than anybody missing has cost us.

Late defeat to Ballally when we pretty much had to play the entire 2nd half with 9 men. (3-2)
    Late equaliser to Ewetuppers when we should have won the game by 5 or 6 but tired in the last 10 minutes (think we started with 10 for the first 15 mins also) (2-2)
    Late goal against Full irish (1-1)
    Last night (1-1)

or put it another way, weve scored 46 goals in the 9 games we have won which is astounding, conceding only 11.

Those things happen because of tireness Ed, people not missing ultimately = fresher legs and a reduction in mistakes.

Not to dismiss your conclusions but I'd have thought the biggest factor in the increase in goals scored and conceded is the pitch. We've played most of our games in Colmcilles. It's a super narrow pitch and leads to a lot more goals than Benildus or Wesley.

Mousewar wrote: »
    Not to dismiss your conclusions but I'd have thought the biggest factor in the increase in goals scored and conceded is the pitch. We've played most of our games in Colmcilles. It's a super narrow pitch and leads to a lot more goals than Benildus or Wesley.

ah ya, its a crazy pitch for goals.

• Advertisement

one fact still remains, and it's concerning, unless we score 3 goals we don't win.

Advertisement