Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atletico Madrid vs. Barcelona QF 2nd Leg 19:45 KO

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Corholio wrote: »
    Since when have Atletico the small, plucky, giant killing team? They've always been a big team but have been horribly mismanaged the last decade or so. This is the first time in years they've played together as a team despite having quality players littered throughout their squads over the years.

I agree with you. Definitely a sleeping giant. It's just good to see them have a few years of success and freshen up a very stale Spanish league.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Corholio wrote: »
    Since when have Atletico the small, plucky, giant killing team? They've always been a big team but have been horribly mismanaged the last decade or so. This is the first time in years they've played together as a team despite having quality players littered throughout their squads over the years.

I get why they are the neutrals team, and to be honest if Real didn't win it I wouldn't mind seeing them win it, but the amount of violin music paragraphs about them is a bit over the top.

They most certainly are minnows in comparison to the company they keep in CL qf/sf. Of the teams in the QF:

4 massive clubs with global fan base and huge revenue and expenditure.

2 clubs with owners with limitless funds, massive expenditure.

Dortmund the only comparable team to Atleti.

Make no mistake, with regards to resources Atleti are punching well above their weight. They are not a small club, but amongst this elite/billionaire owners they are most certainly a David amongst Goliath.

And that's why it's fantastic to see them doing so well like it was with Dortmund last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Very impressive by Atletico Madrid and I would love to see them win the CL now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    According to the Atletico chairman Atletico will not be able to pay the fee needed to allow Courtois to play if they draw Chelsea (€9m I believe it is). Hope Chelsea get Real or Bayern then.

I remeber sahin played v madrid last year and again this year iirc while he was a loanee, looks like its up to the two clubs to decide what happens by the looks of things. Last game aranzubia played he got sent off and atleti lost 2-0 to almeria.
    elefant wrote: »
    Yet they eliminated the side on course to win the Premier League. And now are also looking good to win La Liga too.

A defeat over 2 legs to a really well organised team while missing their starting goalkeeper, two best centre-halves and with their star player playing at half-tilt doesn't mean Barca's philosophy has suddenly become defunct.

In fairness atleti had costa and turan missing. Two essential first team players. Is puyol really barcas 2nd best cb? I cant say i can feel sorry for barcas defence situation, like an earlier poster said they've had years to address but dicked around instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

klose wrote: »
    I remeber sahin played v madrid last year and again this year iirc while he was a loanee, looks like its up to the two clubs to decide what happens by the looks of things. Last game aranzubia played he got sent off and atleti lost 2-0 to almeria.

In fairness atleti had costa and turan missing. Two essential first team players. Is puyol really barcas 2nd best cb? I cant say i can feel sorry for barcas defence situation, like an earlier poster said they've had years to address but dicked around instead.

It would be a massive loss for Atleti if they get drawn against Chelsea and Courtois can't play (which I'm sure would be the case - can't see them forking out the money).

For me if they had Courtois they would be slight favorites. Without,
    slight underdogs. He would surely be worth at least a goal over the two legs

• Advertisement
Advertisement