Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections: Constituencies and Candidates

Options
  • 09-04-2014 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭

In the upcoming Local Elections, what are the Constituencies? Does anyone have a map? And who are the Candidates running in each?

So far only one has called to my door.

(Also, what date in May is the election)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

please, anyone! new here and needing to have some idea...somehow just not voting for healyrae does not seem a goodbasis for voting choice,,, or maybe it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

I'll be putting any Healey-Rae's last in order of preference

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Vote Healy-Rae No. 1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Graces7 wrote: »
    please, anyone! new here and needing to have some idea...somehow just not voting for healyrae does not seem a goodbasis for voting choice,,, or maybe it is

Not voting for the Healy Rae's is your best option.

With these gombeens its no wonder there's Kerryman jokes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

A vote for Dolly is a vote for nepotism ;)

• Advertisement

Not voting for the Healy Rae's is your best option.

With these gombeens its no wonder there's Kerryman jokes!
    e

lol
    man i was chatting with in dunne;s told me there are only two things you need to know about in kerry, the healy raes and the jarveys.

occurred to me late last night that they get electedbecause theyare unsound - careful wording here!- as everyone who is also unsound knows they will get .....backhanders.

but i would like to make a more intelligent choice than that

at present leaning towards fine gael. was trading at a street market this week; arm in plaster so getting tarps in place in asudden gusty shower wasnot easy... no one lifted a finger to help except the driver of a fine gael campaign van parked opposite...

e

lol
    man i was chatting with in dunne;s told me there are only two things you need to know about in kerry, the healy raes and the jarveys.

occurred to me late last night that they get electedbecause theyare unsound - careful wording here!- as everyone who is also unsound knows they will get .....backhanders.

but i would like to make a more intelligent choice than that

at present leaning towards fine gael. was trading at a street market this week; arm in plaster so getting tarps in place in asudden gusty shower wasnot easy... no one lifted a finger to help except the driver of a fine gael campaign van parked opposite...

What a mess of a post. Do you have a link to show a story about these backhanders or any proof at all?? Yes, people get looked after but bribery is a fairly serious allegation. You said you are new to Kerry and have no idea who to vote for! I would base your judgement on whoever does what you ask of them not someone's surname.

If it wasn't for Jackie Healy Rae, my mother would have been left homeless with 3 young children when I was 7 years old. He got us a house in a nice place, checked up on us regularly to make sure everything was fine, always got problems sorted whenever the pipes froze with bad weather or anything like that and got a different bigger house across the street when my sister came along. Almost 20 years later my parents still live in the same house! So there will always be a Healy Rae vote from our family!

Posts like the above are crazy, basing your opinion on what some fella in Dunnes says or what you see on telly. They get elected because they do a dam good job and they stay loyal to their people, more than can be said for a lot of politicians!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

dobman88 wrote: »
    What a mess of a post. Do you have a link to show a story about these backhanders or any proof at all?? Yes, people get looked after but bribery is a fairly serious allegation. You said you are new to Kerry and have no idea who to vote for! I would base your judgement on whoever does what you ask of them not someone's surname.

If it wasn't for Jackie Healy Rae, my mother would have been left homeless with 3 young children when I was 7 years old. He got us a house in a nice place, checked up on us regularly to make sure everything was fine, always got problems sorted whenever the pipes froze with bad weather or anything like that and got a different bigger house across the street when my sister came along. Almost 20 years later my parents still live in the same house! So there will always be a Healy Rae vote from our family!

Posts like the above are crazy, basing your opinion on what some fella in Dunnes says or what you see on telly. They get elected because they do a dam good job and they stay loyal to their people, more than can be said for a lot of politicians!

And who paid for them houses that Jackie Healy rae gave ye?

It certainly wasn't out of Healy Rae's pockets.

And I suppose its a coincidence that Healy Rae's plant hire get 100s of thousands worth of contracts every year from the council!

I never said it was out of the Healy Raes pockets. The houses they got us were council houses that my parents paid for and now almost own. And I have no idea about the contracts the plant hire get but that is a case of you scratch my back I'll scratch yours, happens in all walks of life not just politics!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

dmeehan wrote: »
    I'll be putting any Healey-Rae's last in order of preference

Annie Healey-Rae is running? Ah jesus.

• Advertisement

I never said it was out of the Healy Raes pockets. The houses they got us were council houses that my parents paid for and now almost own. And I have no idea about the contracts the plant hire get but that is a case of you scratch my back I'll scratch yours, happens in all walks of life not just politics!

last sentence says it all
    good poli ticians help those who can do nothing for them in return

and before you rant at my post again, am typing one fingered with broken wrist. doing my best:(

and i know far more than i have said ; been here long enough for that

:(

Posts like the above are crazy, basing your opinion on what some fella in Dunnes says or what you see on telly. They get elected because thd job and they stay loyal to their people, more than can be said for a lot of politicians!

dont you be calling my left hnded post on broken keyboard names:(not the way to win votes for your mates

hve no tv but some interesting items on youtube and there is no way i would vote for folk who advocate drink driving. at their pubs of course, or drive while writing notes or wearing ear muffs.

one of them did some good; fine. ok! i hear you.

A vote for Dolly is a vote for nepotism ;)

dolly:confused:

ok; seriously, who else is standing please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

dolly:confused:

Dolly the sheep....a clone....I'll say no more ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

BPKS wrote: »
    Annie Healey-Rae is running? Ah jesus.

Does she wear a cap as well :P

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

I'll vote Healy-Rae is they promise to name a roundabout after me :D

we were talking about this last night, that twice you were bumped to the top of the housing list before others. was he father christmas to everyone?

i assess on wider issues. not on one family. i would not expect or accept favours if the price was my vote

Dolly the sheep....a clone....I'll say no more ;)

:p

thought dolly died...

If it wasn't for Jackie Healy Rae, my mother would have been left homeless with 3 young children

That's the problem with Irish politics. NATIONAL politicians shouldn't be dealing with LOCAL issues like this.

• Advertisement

Anyway, this thread has gone way off topic, back to the original questions:

In the upcoming Local Elections, what are the Constituencies? Does anyone have a map? And who are the Candidates running in each?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Election is Friday 23rd May, apparently my oh family votes for some Grady fella (I'm from the west) he did a great job for them years back. Politics always involves backhanders, there is no point pretending it doesn't; no matter how great your Cllr may be.

Would this map be of any help to ye... http://elections.kerrycoco.ie/areas.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

dmeehan wrote: »
    Anyway, this thread has gone way off topic, back to the original questions:

http://www.thejournal.ie/council-elections-boundaries-2014-931336-May2013/

Click on the map to get a much bigger version. Kerry is divided into 4 areas - the interesting one will be South and West Kerry which is huge - and has 9 seats. It's the size of a small county and takes in most of the current Kerry South Dáil constituency.

I haven't seen a list of all of the candidates yet but most of the parties have chosen their runners - not without an amount of fuss for some of them.

The poll takes place on Friday May 23rd - same day as the European Parliament election.

we were talking about this last night, that twice you were bumped to the top of the housing list before others. was he father christmas to everyone?

i assess on wider issues. not on one family. i would not expect or accept favours if the price was my vote

So you would have rathered a young family be homeless?? No wonder the country is the way it is with thoughtless idiots like you around!

And the "price" of a house wasn't a vote, but they have our loyalty for helping us when we needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

From this week's Killarney Advertiser. I took them in order their ads appeared.

I put party allegiance and then the area they mentioned as running it.

Michael Gleeson - SKIA []
    Niall Kelleher - FF [Killarney/Castleisland]
    John Joe Culloty - FF [Killarney/Castleisland]
    John Buckley - SF [Killarney Electoral Area]
    Sean Counihan - Labour - [Killarney Municipal District]
    John Sheahan - FG - ["for Killarney and East Kerry"]
    Anne McEllistrim - FF [Killarney Electoral Area]
    Brendan Cronin - Independent - []
    Tom Doherty - Independent -[]
    Lynda Horgan - Independent working for Tom Fleming - []
    Donal Grady - Independent []
    Danny Healy-Rae - doesn't mention independence or part - mentions Kerry County Council
    John O'Shea - FF - [Killarney]

The John Sheahan ad mentions vote John Sheahen number 1 and continue your preference to my party colleagues Bobby O'Connell and Cathal Walsh, so I presume they are running in something but it's not clear if it's in Killarney.

All clear as mud at the moment.

I know Niall Kelleher fairly well and he is one of the most hard working people I have met. If he doesn't win a seat in this election then it's only a matter of time. At only 28 years old, he will have a long career ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

PLL wrote: »

Would this map be of any help to ye... http://elections.kerrycoco.ie/areas.htm

This is a map of the electoral areas at the last election (2009). Since then there has been a review. Town Councils are to be abolished and County Councils will have slightly more members, to be elected from bigger electoral areas. In Kerry's case the main change is that the Dingle and Killorglin areas are combined. Tralee, Killarney and Listowel keep their own areas.

So you would have rathered a young family be homeless?? No wonder the country is the way it is with thoughtless idiots like you around!

And the "price" of a house wasn't a vote, but they have our loyalty for helping us when we needed it.

personal abuse does not impress; post reported

i was advised recently to ask hr for help re something. i refused to do so as it meant queue jumping. period.

thank you for helping me see that it is policies that need changing not queue jumping that sidesteps policies.

many young families on housing lists and it is that that local politicians need to change

offline now until after easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 saxophoneguy

Apologies I was meant to post in a Meath Forum not a Kerry Forum

• Advertisement

But why should I vote for mainstream parties
    I dont know, but its not clear why you post about a South Meath election in a Kerry forum. :D

Advertisement