Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections: Constituencies and Candidates

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

Brian McCarthy is running as well as independent in Killarney area.

Called to the door today and he is definitely worth a look.

Here is some info on him for anyone http://votebrianmccarthy.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

Very few candidates seem to have websites, most seem to rely on free social media, I personally prefer looking at a candidates website to make an informed decision. Same guys will waffle on about job creation, why not give a few quid back to the economy by getting a basic site done by young web developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Jimmyireland

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Jimmyireland

rash wrote: »
    Very few candidates seem to have websites, most seem to rely on free social media, I personally prefer looking at a candidates website to make an informed decision. Same guys will waffle on about job creation, why not give a few quid back to the economy by getting a basic site done by young web developers.

http://www.labour.ie/terryobrien/biography.html

http://www.labour.ie/terryobrien/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

kn wrote: »
    nice one @kn

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Man in a Sweater

I know there are 15 candidate for 9 seats in South and West Kerry.
    Here's my attempt from memory and a test of whose marketing is working on me.

1. Damien Quigg -Sinn Fein
    2. Donie O'Suillian - fine gaeler but going independant as didnt get the party backing
    3. Johnie Porridge - FG
    4. Flynn - FF (22 yrs old lad cant remember first name)
    5. Michael D O something he has a mostache and from milltown
    6. A healy rae, dont know frist name
    7. Garvey - republican SF not to be confusef with Sinn Fein.
    8. Michael Cahill
    9. can't think of the other 6..... dont think labour have anyone running.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

Pat hanafin labour decided not to contest election, presume as a paramedic he could not stand due to cut backs in the ambulance and health services by labour backed government, probably knew he would get a bashing on the door steps??? http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/labour-frontrunner-withdraws-from-selection-process-in-south-and-west-kerry/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Not the only candidate poster to be damaged during the campaign but the first using a firearm

Who-Shot-JHR.jpg

Found here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

kerry4sam wrote: »

Found here

Great shooting, keep at it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

The imperious Tom McEllistrim is contesting these local elections. Cant keep a good man down. Nearly took down the last goverment because he wouldn't get out of bed and vote on the most crucial piece of legislation ever passed in the Dáil, the bank gurantee. It got to the stage that Radio Kerry set up a "Tommy Watch" to track him down.
    He has this penchant for suddenly going missing from the media for any amount of unbelieveable reasons in this era of mass communications. I'll never forget the time that some major issue was dominating the airwaves in kerry and McEllistrim did his disapearing act. His sister, who is contesting the local elections in Killarney/Castleisland area, and has made way for her brother in Tralee, defended him by saying that he was on a train. Apparently Mac doesn't own a mobile phone.
    Then there was the time in the mid 00's when a massive protest by the GP's was taking place outside the general in Tralee, due to the downgrading of services at the hospital. Cllr. Anne McEllstrim, came on Radio Kerry that morning trying to defend her brother's record claiming "He's out of the country." Mac ofcourse was not out of the country, but at the time was clandestinely pursuing a policy of avoiding going on the radio like the plague. The amount of times the phrase " Efforts to contact Mr McEllistrim have proved unsuccesful" have been uttered on Kerry airwaves is uncountable at this stage.
    If you meet him on your doorstep ask him about his thesis that he did on politics while in Maynooth for a good chucle!

His record in the Oireachtas for 2010 was as follows:
    Number of written questions submitted on behalf of constituents; 0
    Number of oral questions in the chamber; 0

To put that in perspective, Jimmy Denihan submitted 400 questions in that same period.
    People complain about the Healy Rae's and I'm no supporter of theirs, but at the very least they are workers. They do put in the hours. Do you know what the worst of all this is, woefully inept as Mac is, he is virtually guranteed his seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

buyer95 wrote: »
    The imperious Tom McEllistrim is contesting these local elections. Cant keep a good man down. Nearly took down the last goverment because he wouldn't get out of bed and vote on the most crucial piece of legislation ever passed in the Dáil, the bank gurantee. It got to the stage that Radio Kerry set up a "Tommy Watch" to track him down.
    He has this penchant for suddenly going missing from the media for any amount of unbelieveable reasons in this era of mass communications. I'll never forget the time that some major issue was dominating the airwaves in kerry and McEllistrim did his disapearing act. His sister, who is contesting the local elections in Killarney/Castleisland area, and has made way for her brother in Tralee, defended him by saying that he was on a train. Apparently Mac doesn't own a mobile phone.
    Then there was the time in the mid 00's when a massive protest by the GP's was taking place outside the general in Tralee, due to the downgrading of services at the hospital. Cllr. Anne McEllstrim, came on Radio Kerry that morning trying to defend her brother's record claiming "He's out of the country." Mac ofcourse was not out of the country, but at the time was clandestinely pursuing a policy of avoiding going on the radio like the plague. The amount of times the phrase " Efforts to contact Mr McEllistrim have proved unsuccesful" have been uttered on Kerry airwaves is uncountable at this stage.

His record in the Oireachtas for 2010 was as follows:
    Number of written questions submitted on behalf of constituents; 0
    Number of oral questions in the chamber; 0

People complain about the Healy Rae's and I'm no supporter of theirs, but at the very least they are workers. They do put in the hours. Do you know what the worst of all this is, woefully inept as Mac is, he is virtually guranteed his seat.

I wonder how many days he actually spent in the chamber ?
    Perhaps this explains why politics in this country is in the state it is :mad:
    People have a chance to have their say but they must get off their behinds & go out and vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

amdaley28 wrote: »
    I wonder how many days he actually spent in the chamber ?
    Perhaps this explains why politics in this country is in the state it is :mad:
    People have a chance to have their say but they must get off their behinds & go out and vote.

"Young" Tommy Mac as he is promoting himself as, is unfortunately an absolute sure thing tomorrow. It is a depressing thought really.

Something I would say is that if some candidates expect to get elected they need to get out there & meet people.
    Only two of the local candidates came around our way & we're not off the beaten track by any means, 10 minutes walk from the center of town.The only locals I met were Fianna Fail as in failure & Fine Gael.
    I had to ask the Fine Gael candidate to take his hand out of my pocket before he left as his mates had already cleaned that out.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

We also live in a pretty remote area - off a road, up a lane, up another lane etc but we had several canvassers - FF, FG, SF and the Healy Raes. All called during daytime though so if anyone was out working they would have missed them. Maybe they are just courting the farming and pensioner vote!

On a side issue when we went to vote this morning things were busy and instead of the usual 2 booths there was just one with space for 4 voters only (cut backs I suppose). It'll be crazy later. The box was also filling nicely. It'll be pretty stuffed by 10pm tonight.

lottpaul wrote: »
    We also live in a pretty remote area - off a road, up a lane, up another lane etc but we had several canvassers - FF, FG, SF and the Healy Raes. All called during daytime though so if anyone was out working they would have missed them. Maybe they are just courting the farming and pensioner vote!

On a side issue when we went to vote this morning things were busy and instead of the usual 2 booths there was just one with space for 4 voters only (cut backs I suppose). It'll be crazy later. The box was also filling nicely. It'll be pretty stuffed by 10pm tonight.

Lets hope some of the politicians get stuffed as well :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Who-Shot-JHR.jpg

Found here

i think he did very well in the polls, people get what they deserve, so this guy does work hard, i have heard people say, i guess he did stop and listen to the electorate,
    i have had not a candidate to my door, yet there were lots running, this really made it hard for me to decide,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Fairly solid victory for Danny Healy Rae.

Delighted for Niall Kelleher also, I didn't vote for him but I went to school with him and he was always a hard worker. Only 28 years old so he will be around for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Mod,

Are you not being rather inconsistent by closing down the Reboot Ireland/ Kerry thread. To say it should be in the politics forum may indeed be correct, however politics has been discussed before in the Kerry Forum.

Yes I objected recently to political issues being discussed in the Tralee thread recently, but not the Kerry forum.

Please explain your logic behind your actions, which seem very inconsistent with your own recent actions in the Tralee thread.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Mod,

Are you not being rather inconsistent by closing down the Reboot Ireland/ Kerry thread. To say it should be in the politics forum may indeed be correct, however politics has been discussed before in the Kerry Forum.

Yes I objected recently to political issues being discussed in the Tralee thread recently, but not the Kerry forum.

Please explain your logic behind your actions, which seem very inconsistent with your own recent actions in the Tralee thread.

I was requested to close it by other MODs. Please don't question MOD's decisions.

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I was requested to close it by other MODs. Please don't question MOD's decisions.

Yes Master.
    And here was I hoping for political reform :rolleyes:
    God help us all :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

delthedriver, don't post in this thread again. Not unless you want a forum ban. You've been warned enough on questioning and undermining mod decisions on thread. There will be no more warnings. Same goes for everyone else smart remarks.

Mod

Someone told you to stick your finger in the fire........ I guess you were simply following the firing orders of your fascist SF officer !!!

Whats this about a new political party starting anyway ;)
    Will they be real politicians or just more yes men/women ?

Advertisement