Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving rented house 5 months early

Options
  • 09-04-2014 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭

I'm renting a home at present but a house has come up for sale that I am due to purchase.

I'm currently 6 months into my lease, could be 8 months by the time I'm given keys to the house I am buying.

I'm on fairly good terms with my landlord, never missed payment and the house is in better condition now than when I moved in as I agreed to fix up a few things with his permission.

Are there stipulations which let me move out and get my deposit back if I give sufficient notice etc? I read somewhere that I could give 40-50 days notice?

I'm sure he will be fine about it, but just on the off chance it turns sour I'd like to know what options I have.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

All you can do is ask, but he'd be entitled to keep the deposit anyway, and theoretically could pursue you for the rest of the years rent. In practice, that hardly ever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

You can assign the remainder of the lease to a new tenant. The landlord has the option to veto the new tenant but if they do, you can leave without penalty.

If you just leave without assigning the lease then the landlord can chase you for the rent for the remainder of the lease.

The prtb has good guidelines - http://www.prtb.ie/dispute-resolution/disputes/terminating-a-fixed-term-tenancy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Thanks folks. Given the positive interactions I've had in the few times we've spoke I'd be confident we can resolve it.

I imagine if I give him 3-40 days notice that should give him plenty time to show the place to new tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

A reasonable landlord will be reasonable. I would offer to cover the cost of re-advertising etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I'm renting a home at present but a house has come up for sale that I am due to purchase.

I'm currently 6 months into my lease, could be 8 months by the time I'm given keys to the house I am buying.

I'm on fairly good terms with my landlord, never missed payment and the house is in better condition now than when I moved in as I agreed to fix up a few things with his permission.

Are there stipulations which let me move out and get my deposit back if I give sufficient notice etc? I read somewhere that I could give 40-50 days notice?

I'm sure he will be fine about it, but just on the off chance it turns sour I'd like to know what options I have.

Have a look at your lease and see if there is a break clause. If not then you will be relying on the landlord being understanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'll build up a list of compliments and sugar coated gestures in the meantime before I pluck up the courage to ring him about it :P

Advertisement