Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanium - why?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Interestingly I too have recently got a ti bike. I have built up a S&S machine coupled Enigma basically with SRAM red. Back from two weeks pottering about France and the bike was unquestionably comfortable. Like ROK ON, mine is a bit shorter and comfort oriented than my carbon race bike, but it is very similar to my steel frame soma and weighs in between the two (7kg - 8kg - 9.5kg). It feels the kgs lighter than the steel and is much more responsive climbing and accelerating, but it doesn't feel the kgs heavier than the carbon but doesn't have the race bike agility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I plan on getting a Van Nicholas Yukon after xmas. Nothing can dissuade me from its awesomeness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Idleater wrote: »
    Interestingly I too have recently got a ti bike. I have built up a S&S machine coupled Enigma basically with SRAM red. Back from two weeks pottering about France and the bike was unquestionably comfortable. Like ROK ON, mine is a bit shorter and comfort oriented than my carbon race bike, but it is very similar to my steel frame soma and weighs in between the two (7kg - 8kg - 9.5kg). It feels the kgs lighter than the steel and is much more responsive climbing and accelerating, but it doesn't feel the kgs heavier than the carbon but doesn't have the race bike agility.
    Yep would have said similar- bike was heavier to lift than my Kuota and VanNic. Mistral - but it certainly didn't feel heavy going up some drags today. I might try Sally Gap tmrw and see how it feels.
    In terms of stiffness, I would have to admit that I certainly do not have a decent power output, but I am a heavy bugger. On the last Van Nic and on my Dolan I get a lot to rear triangle flex when climbing out of the saddle -'softies it's so noticeable you get wheel rub. I did not get that today - but again only one datapoint.

Ror - I thought long and hard about the Yukon given the superior tyre clearance. In the end I tossed a coin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

ror_74 wrote: »
    I plan on getting a Van Nicholas Yukon after xmas. Nothing can dissuade me from its awesomeness.

Have been looking there also myself. Be sure to post up if you purchase; seems like an ideal 40th present come May!

ROK ON wrote: »

Ror - I thought long and hard about the Yukon given the superior tyre clearance. In the end I tossed a coin.

Yeah, not an easy decision. The Ventus does look lovely.

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    Have been looking there also myself. Be sure to post up if you purchase; seems like an ideal 40th present come May!

I will indeed. Funnily enough, was supposed to get a light tourer for my 40th as well, last June, and was gonna pull the trigger on a Spa Cycles Audax, but I thought I may as well hold out a bit longer for the Yukon - been oogling it for years. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

What about magnesium framed bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Chiparus wrote: »

Kirk revolution. Class looking bike in its day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Idleater wrote: »
    Kirk revolution. Class looking bike in its day.

They actually built bikes out of magnesium? I just googled and it seems they did.

I presume it is a magnesium alloy of some kind, since magnesium burns intensely and is soft enough to bend with your fingers.

But mostly because it burns intensely enough to damage eyesight if you look at it directly. IIRC it willven burn underwater - once lit. Would add a whole new level of excitement to long descents with overheating rims.

BurningMg05.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

tunney wrote: »
    Damn it what was the name of that mountain bike? would have been 1994.

Would it be the ibis Bow Ti ? I've ridden one (once) and it was very nice - entire top tube and rear triangle are the rear suspension.

My daily commuter is a 20 year old touring bike, so my next road bike will be titanium as I don't trust CF frames to last that long (and I'm not in competition).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Hi Ho

c50 wrote: »
    People buy titanium bikes to show they have money...
    I'm not one of those 'people'.

Also for anyone thats racing its pointless. one bad crash and right there youve quite literally shattered a frame into numerous bits- like glass

Titanium??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Do any Ti bikes have Ti forks? I did some research on them a while back and they all seemed to have carbon forks.
    The lightest Bromptons do. The fork, rear triangle and sometimes the seat post are titanium. The main bit is steel.

Perhaps not what you had in mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

People buy titanium bikes to show they have money... any rejections?
    My frame cost £650 seven years ago. It still looks new.
    If there is a difference between the feel on the road of carbon, aluminium, steel, titanium it isn't major. I have (or had) all frames.
    My steel frame is the roughest to ride, but I think that is because of the steel forks and heavy hub gears. Carbon frames probably feel better because the bike is lighter.

If you have a pension and a titanium frame you are sorted for life.
    Fwiw the bike that gets all the upgrades is the titanium bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

diomed wrote: »
    If you have a pension and a titanium frame you are sorted for life.
    The government will shortly be announcing a scheme whereby it will shave 0.15% off your titanium frame every year until you die.

Weight weenies rejoice!

You really can't compare any materials on a stand-alone basic. It depends on what kind of titanium, steel, carbon, etc, how they are built, and what they are for. I have steel, aluminium, carbon and titanium bikes. All for different uses. Among other things, titanium doesn't rust and doesn't need paint. I f u get the right titanium., geometry and size right for whatever type of cycling you intend to do, then you should have a frame for life unless you are unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 c_brennan

Hey Brownian, I was researching the VN Yukon and saw you have one and mentioned you don't ride it much anymore, any interest in selling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Nano-porous low-density metal foams seem to be the next big thing, may even be suitable for hydrogen release if power assisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

c_brennan wrote: »
    Hey Brownian, I was researching the VN Yukon and saw you have one and mentioned you don't ride it much anymore, any interest in selling?

Sorry - that'd be a no. I have it set up for touring - carriers F&R, big hefty 36-spoke wheels. So it only gets ridden on bike tours (one a year, most years), but it's staying home.

Thanks all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Nano-porous low-density metal foams seem to be the next big thing
    Yes, the damping properties of steel tube/alu foam combinations are particularly interesting (PDF, PDF), although corrosion may be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

brownian wrote: »
    Sorry - that'd be a no...... ......Thanks all the same!

Big q for a 1st Boards post!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Chiparus wrote: »

There have been, pretty hefty iirc. There was also a bit of noise about 'Aer Met' 25 years ago, supposed to be the future then. Bombed, appropriately enough.

On Ti, who could resist the silky fish scales of a Moots, lbis or Litespeed? For me Ti is king. Though I do love high end steel. So I'm fairly Luddite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Tell you what, the Jaeger bike that Allegaert rides is about the sexiest looking steel frame I've seen.

Advertisement