Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reseeding

14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/publications/2015/

Lots of info in this.
    teagascs pasture profit indeX in it too

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Harrier1980

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/publications/2015/

Lots of info in this.
    teagascs pasture profit indeX in it too

How applicable is the PPI to farmers outside cork? The whole system is based on the needs of a 100 cow spring calving farm in Clonakilty.

How applicable is the PPI to farmers outside cork? The whole system is based on the needs of a 100 cow spring calving farm in Clonakilty.

It's based on best grass growing varieties in this country. Not just in Cork.
    I'll be using it any way.
    Great research to have

It's based on best grass growing varieties in this country. Not just in Cork.
    I'll be using it any way.
    Great research to have

You are right it is based on the results collected from the department trials.
    It then had financial weightings applied to these results in order of importance to a 100 cow spring calving farm in clonakilty.
    All I am saying is if these weightings are not in line with your farm needs its best to revert back to the reccomended list.

You are right it is based on the results collected from the department trials.
    It then had financial weightings applied to these results in order of importance to a 100 cow spring calving farm in clonakilty.
    All I am saying is if these weightings are not in line with your farm needs its best to revert back to the reccomended list.

I may be wrong but I think this research involved farmers througout the country be it dairy beef or sheep as long as they were measuring grass and implementing its results so should be very accurate

if the best variety on that list can go 16/18t.
    would you not want that grass? Increase the earning potential of your farm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭conor t

I may be wrong but I think this research involved farmers througout the country be it dairy beef or sheep as long as they were measuring grass and implementing its results so should be very accurate

No its only based on a 100 cow spring calving dairy herd, cant attach a link but search 'teagasc grasses of the future' and you should get the document with all assumptions in it

I think what you are referring to is pasture base. that is where farmers are inputting there own grass measurements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Possible if you've early ground. This year I was lucky to get reseeded ground grazed. Same ground is now saturated. Now I'm questioning the mix I went with as it's good for early grass. Most years that will mean a cover that is too heavy by the time I can graze it. Will look into it more in a few months when I'll be getting ready for more reseeding. No regrets about reseeding, just think I should be using later varieties or those with most growth during the summer.

Is it to early in the yr to say that reseed we did is ****e?
    There hasnt been an awful lot of growth yet I know but the centre of the field especially has alot of scutch grass back in it.
    I'll wait another few wks if I'm going to do anything.
    father's friend was down today and he said if it was him he'd be dropping a chain Harrow on it and putting more grass seeds on it

• Advertisement

In may case the field was full of weed grasses cows milked ****e off it.
    It must have had 50 units of P and 90 K between sowing and this spring already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

Is it to early in the yr to say that reseed we did is ****e?
    There hasnt been an awful lot of growth yet I know but the centre of the field especially has alot of scutch grass back in it.
    I'll wait another few wks if I'm going to do anything.
    father's friend was down today and he said if it was him he'd be dropping a chain Harrow on it and putting more grass seeds on it

if scutch is in an easily defined area id burn it off first , harrowing might spread it and it would choke new grass anyway i think

sandydan wrote: »
    if scutch is in an easily defined area id burn it off first , harrowing might spread it and it would choke new grass anyway i think

Ye can pick it out quite easily. But ye can pick out the perennial quite easy too.
    Got highest rate of round up that was allowed but still must have been seeds from scutch in ground

had same problem with docks last year ,one line 100 yards, sprayed with knapsack and seeded

Had lad who does our soil samples out yesterday has a ph probe you stick in ground just to give an idea or of where ph is.
    We have soil samples from last jan just wanted to know where ph is before we go reseeding.
    6.3-6.4 but it's only a guide.

Any way contractor booked for next Wednesday 8ac of Abergain and aberherald clover going to be stiched in. He has a 6m horsch drill will have sown while I'd be arsing around with a harrow.

First time stiching in grass so hoping for good results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

4 acres sprayed off last night. Hope this rain and cold thats forcast doesnt last too long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

Any way contractor booked for next Wednesday 8ac of Abergain and aberherald clover going to be stiched in. He has a 6m horsch drill will have sown while I'd be arsing around with a harrow.

You will get the right results if you get the right conditions after sowing.

Has the field been sprayed off?

Will you get him to x the field?

Lambofdave wrote: »
    You will get the right results if you get the right conditions after sowing.

Has the field been sprayed off?

Will you get him to x the field?

Sprayed off on Tuesday looking fairly yellow from what I can see from yard.
    he'll go both ways but it doesn't really matter because the grass will tiller out any way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

I'll have to give mine another go this year, complete failure last year so there isn't a lot left to work with in regards to taking any other option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I'll have to give mine another go this year, complete failure last year so there isn't a lot left to work with in regards to taking any other option.

Was just thinkin of your reseed today. Was there any that took?

• Advertisement

ganmo wrote: »
    Was just thinkin of your reseed today. Was there any that took?

The spear thistles and moss are doing quite well :pac:

Nah, it was a disaster. Will spread lime soon, then spray off the junk that's there and get back to it, lots of 10-10-20 this time.

The spear thistles and moss are doing quite well :pac:

Nah, it was a disaster. Will spread lime soon, then spray off the junk that's there and get back to it, lots of 10-10-20 this time.

If there's weeds in it there now con mix grazon 90 with roundup. Will kill everything

If there's weeds in it there now con mix grazon 90 with roundup. Will kill everything

Just moss and thistles that I see, the roundup should kill both of those I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Had lad who does our soil samples out yesterday has a ph probe you stick in ground just to give an idea or of where ph is.
    We have soil samples from last jan just wanted to know where ph is before we go reseeding.
    6.3-6.4 but it's only a guide.

If stiching in use slug pellets and granlime even if ph is right. Rotting scraw will drop ph on top 2-3 mm of ground and this will kill some seedlings

If stiching in use slug pellets and granlime even if ph is right. Rotting scraw will drop ph on top 2-3 mm of ground and this will kill some seedlings

Ye were using gran lime. 2 bags per acre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Ye were using gran lime. 2 bags per acre

If your ph is rightish a bag to the acre is more than adequate

If your ph is rightish a bag to the acre is more than adequate

Mad that mistake last autumn think it had an effect on how bad last reseed started off.
    had cone sort of right now.

4 acres sprayed off last night. Hope this rain and cold thats forcast doesnt last too long
    sprayed scutch last week and its now working but is wait another week before spraying with present weather conditions

Going to give direct drill a go. First time doing it here.
    any tips
    field ph is 6.3 but putting out 2 bags ogmf line per ac in morn regardless.
    14kg of abergain and 1kg of cheiftam clover going in per ac

Being sowed with a 6m horsch tillage drill

• Advertisement

how quick should grass seed germinate, scattered some seed (on a poached bit) a while ago and think I need to go again

seed arived yesterday
    1.00 KGS
    Drumbo

2.00 KGS
    Aberchoice

2.00 KGS
    Abergain

1.00 KGS
    Glenveagh
    3.00 KGS
    Dunluce(T)

1.00 KGS
    Solomon

0.50 KGS
    Avoca

0.50 KGS
    Barblanca

1.00 KGS
    Timothy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

how quick should grass seed germinate, scattered some seed (on a poached bit) a while ago and think I need to go again

How much moisture has it gotten since it was scattered and was it rolled after?

seed arived yesterday
    1.00 KGS
    Drumbo

2.00 KGS
    Aberchoice

2.00 KGS
    Abergain

1.00 KGS
    Glenveagh
    3.00 KGS
    Dunluce(T)

1.00 KGS
    Solomon

0.50 KGS
    Avoca

0.50 KGS
    Barblanca

1.00 KGS
    Timothy

Who's mix is that?
    Okay grasses but I'd prefer if it was made up just of top 3
    not a fan of 5/6 varieties in a mix 2/3 is enough

my own mix from seed direct. Wanted a mixture of performance and persistance

my own mix from seed direct. Wanted a mixture of performance and persistance

Ah right. I'm after putting in a monoculture of Abergain here hoping for lots of grass off it.
    have 12ac of Tyrella abergain and Aberchoice powerful stiff to grow grazing every 10-14 days.
    All reseeds will persist if not poached badly

• Advertisement

Anyone have a recommendation for wet land mix with some peat in the soil

Lambofdave wrote: »
    How much moisture has it gotten since it was scattered and was it rolled after?

plenty and no.
    was the end of a bag that was a year or 2 old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

just do it wrote: »
    Anyone have a recommendation for wet land mix with some peat in the soil

CASTLEHILL,
    http://grassseed.ie/brands/sinclair-mcgill-seedtech/sinclair-mcgill-seedtech-long-term/

Have used a good bit of this jdi on peat soil with good results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

I threw out some lawn seed(had a bit left over from the garden)on poached ground a few years ago(where a trough was).
    Cattle go mad for it and still growing away.

CASTLEHILL,
    http://grassseed.ie/brands/sinclair-mcgill-seedtech/sinclair-mcgill-seedtech-long-term/

Have used a good bit of this jdi on peat soil with good results.

I like the look of the mix but would like to see the varieties and the proportions...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

just do it wrote: »
    I like the look of the mix but would like to see the varieties and the proportions...

They will do a mix for you but allot of their mixes are like that, thought it was a bit funny to. I have sum of that here put in 15 years and going very strong still.

Advertisement