Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reseeding

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Yep,got 3 bags 10 10 20 at sowing and bag and a half of pasture sward this am.spray in 10 days or so and hopefully grazing by late September.

Mines in since tuesday. Might be up next sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Mines in since tuesday. Might be up next sunday?

You could see first shoots of mine up after a week,in current weather I'd say you should def see something within a week

You could see first shoots of mine up after a week,in current weather I'd say you should def see something within a week

Good soil temp at the min and good heavy dew at night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Good soil temp at the min and good heavy dew at night

Perfect conditions.

Benefit for you guys with dry land is you'll get 1-2 grazings in before winter. Parts of my sept reseed last year didn't get grazed for 6-7 months. There is a definite difference in quality in those parts.

just do it wrote: »
    Perfect conditions.

Benefit for you guys with dry land is you'll get 1-2 grazings in before winter. Parts of my sept reseed last year didn't get grazed for 6-7 months. There is a definite difference in quality in those parts.

Hope to get at least one grazing off mine with the calves

Hope to get at least one grazing off mine with the calves
    Another advantage as a milker you've over me. Stop, I don't want to hear anymore ;)

just do it wrote: »
    Another advantage as a milker you've over me. Stop, I don't want to hear anymore ;)

Aswell as the milk :D ill stop now

Aswell as the milk :D ill stop now

Ahh yes, but milk is only useful to wash the steak down :D

t3bjp2.jpgReseed we did last yr. Best cover its had all yr

• Advertisement

Reseed sowed last Tuesday is up. Any where it got good soil to seed contact is well up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Just destoned 10acres of a reseed afew mins ago. All of it was ploughed, and only 1/2 a loader bucket of stones in total! Result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Timmaay wrote: »
    Just destoned 10acres of a reseed afew mins ago. All of it was ploughed, and only 1/2 a loader bucket of stones in total! Result!

Did 7 acres here one time Had a stone rake and dumpers drawing stone out of it.😟

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Wish I had the same luck! Cleared 5 acres earlier in the Summer and still picking stones out of it. So far have taken about 8 trailer loads out. Only get to go at it on weekends. Will get it finished this Saturday and will get seed out after that. I know it's late but hopefully the weather holds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

ploughed and deep dug about 10 acres,had about 80 loads,+ so count you blessings lads not your stones:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

How sustainable are the yields in the years following a reseed. I know the first year are two are great. But after that what is the decline like in yield?

• Advertisement

restive wrote: »
    How sustainable are the yields in the years following a reseed. I know the first year are two are great. But after that what is the decline like in yield?

I find its year 2 or 3 before a reseed really kicks into gear.as for decline it's up to how u manage it.avoid excessive poaching and if p k and lime levels are kept right u could get 10 or 12 years out of it,especially with all newer varietys over last few years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

I find its year 2 or 3 before a reseed really kicks into gear.as for decline it's up to how u manage it.avoid excessive poaching and if p k and lime levels are kept right u could get 10 or 12 years out of it,especially with all newer varietys over last few years

Which variety's do you prefer?

restive wrote: »
    Which variety's do you prefer?

Diploids a lot more than tetraploids ,gives a much denser ,thicker sward.when getting a mix I'd go for at least 85% diploid.mix I've used for last few years is tyrella,abbergain and Aston energy.savage stuff to grow.

5LfU54.jpgSowed 10 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

5LfU54.jpgSowed 10 days

what was it sown with?

• Advertisement

Lambofdave wrote: »
    what was it sown with?

Disced ×4 sowed seed with spinner. Rolled and put out fert and lime

gras seed up and almost fit to graze lightly , got a line of docks spot sprayed them with knapsack sprayer last week using gallup, anyways docks are turning yella , how long do i need to wait to graze or should i wait till they wither much further, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

in need of moisture id say

in need of moisture id say

Ye it would bounce now if it got some rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Would you not roll after you spread the fert and lime? Not implying that you've done anything wrong but I've always done it that way.

Would you not roll after you spread the fert and lime? Not implying that you've done anything wrong but I've always done it that way.

I was going to but didn't toss up much soil so said id leave be.
    Had to roll it after seed or I wouldn't be able to follow my fert tracks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Can anyone recommend a good post emergence spray?

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good post emergence spray?

No clover m50(mcp a) and if clover In Sward Db plus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

No clover m50(mcp a) and if clover In Sward Db plus

DB plus it is so.
    Goodman.

how long after spraying docks in paddock can grass be grazed, spot sprayed last week and dock leves just going yellow now

• Advertisement

sandydan wrote: »
    how long after spraying docks in paddock can grass be grazed, spot sprayed last week and dock leves just going yellow now

If no noxious weeds like ragwort 7-10 days.

thanks for that , ive got no ragworth just a nice straight line of docks and a few stragglers here and there and they are just turning yellow now,sprayed with gallup using knapsack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Would you still need to harrow after sowing with these tines?

15 acres of this going in now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

whelan2 wrote: »

Hmmm... they look a small bit shook Whelan. ;)

I'm guessing that's the seed barrow, thats loanded out form the co-op? That everyone minds as if it was their own... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Ipresume that you aready have a seedbed of some sort. If so all you need to do is roll.

Ipresume that you aready have a seedbed of some sort. If so all you need to do is roll.
    never roll after sowing here, doesnt suit the land, field is being powerharrowed now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

never roll after sowing here, doesnt suit the land, field is being powerharrowed now

If there is lots of dust ROLL!
    I don't care what sort of land it is.
    If "capping" is the problem use a Cambridge rolls.

Dawggone wrote: »
    If there is lots of dust ROLL!
    I don't care what sort of land it is.
    If "capping" is the problem use a Cambridge rolls.

My dad would have a heart attack. He rolled years ago after sowing and said never again

• Advertisement

My dad would have a heart attack. He rolled years ago after sowing and said never again

Times change. :)
    Was a tillage contractor in a former life and I've planted seeds on all sorts of ground.
    Good level, fine and firm seedbed. No need for covering harrow. Just ROLL!

Reseeded on untilled ground here earlier in the year when it was dry. Got 3 runs with the chain harrow which hardly scratched it, broadcast seed with wagtail and put slurry on top. Came the finest.

we are going to roll it later, sowing away now

The three R's of reseeding roll, roll and roll again. The only proviso is if it rains brfore rolling and you cannot get at it for 48 hours after sowing do not do as seed may have chitted. In this type of weather where you have a wind it is critical that you roll to seal any moisture into ground and so that seed will make good contact with seed bed as whent it sprouts roots have a grip on soil

The three R's of reseeding roll, roll and roll again. The only proviso is if it rains brfore rolling and you cannot get at it for 48 hours after sowing do not do as seed may have chitted. In this type of weather where you have a wind it is critical that you roll to seal any moisture into ground and so that seed will make good contact with seed bed as whent it sprouts roots have a grip on soil
    the tines on the barrow are a pain in the butt, tied them up:rolleyes: lad coming to roll it at 6. This is a field there was triticale in , sprayed it 10 days ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

the tines on the barrow are a pain in the butt, tied them up:rolleyes: lad coming to roll it at 6. This is a field there was triticale in , sprayed it 10 days ago

Have a friend that seeded a heavy field a month ago and he rolled it with the roller almost empty and he seems to have got a great take. Might be an idea if you don't want to compact the ground!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

I'd always run the chain harrow upside down to cover the seed and then roll. In the auld days the father used drag a bush over it. Is this a waste of time and I should just roll after spreading seed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

I think the worst thing you can do is bury the seed too deep, I did 2 bits this year tilled to approx 3 inches deep with rotovator, it was grand and fluffy, spread seed on it and rolled it, it was brilliant, up in a week grazed at 6 weeks, did another bit, could not till it as deep as rotavator broke after first shallow run, so chainharrowed it, sowed seed, used chainharrow upside down after seeding and rolled it, but it is in 2 weeks and only coming up now, in too deep...

sown and rolled;) now to tell my da we rolled it when he gets back from holidays:eek:

sown and rolled;) now to tell my da we rolled it when he gets back from holidays:eek:

First thing I learned about reseeding from my Dad many moons ago were the 3 F's ---> 1. Fine
    2. Firm.
    3. Fertile.
    Simples.
    Once you have dust, always roll, and the more dust the heavier the roller. QED.

I'd always run the chain harrow upside down to cover the seed and then roll. In the auld days the father used drag a bush over it. Is this a waste of time and I should just roll after spreading seed?

Only roll after seed. With a seed drill it only barely puts seed below ground. Rolling is the trick. Even heard to roll before putting out seed and rolling again after.

• Advertisement
Advertisement