Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reseeding

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

We did a small bit of reseeding last week, no rolling...

Feck all rain since as well.. Could do with a drop now..

We shall see how things go... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

whelan2 wrote: »
    My dad would have a heart attack. He rolled years ago after sowing and said never again

What harm would / did it do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Compaction in heavy ground ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

dharn wrote: »
    Compaction in heavy ground ?

Must be extremely heavy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Robson99 wrote: »
    Must be extremely heavy

Not too bad this year but 2012 was brutal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

whelan2 wrote: »
    Not too bad this year but 2012 was brutal

I have land that description fits :( ...... We did two cuts in the one day in 2012 ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

I'd say it's more to do with the ground being a tad damp at the time of setting on heavy ground, rolling would then reduce the ability of the soil take in rainfall effectively, I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Anyone see the article in ifj last week about timacs stimgrass and phisolith?
    Thinking of tryinh the stimgrass on my reseed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Anyone see the article in ifj last week about timacs stimgrass and phisolith?
    Thinking of tryinh the stimgrass on my reseed

Sounds interesting alright and worth a try

Your thinking is using at time of slaying post emergence, isn't that the idea?

• Advertisement

just do it wrote: »
    Your thinking is using at time of slaying post emergence, isn't that the idea?

Ye supposed to stop grass getting checked and help roots get stronger.
    I dont think the trail was as good as it could have been. If the field had been split in 3 equal parts it would giveva better show of tye products instead of headlands vs middle of field. The middle of field will aoways grow more thwn headlands

Ye supposed to stop grass getting checked and help roots get stronger.
    I dont think the trail was as good as it could have been. If the field had been split in 3 equal parts it would giveva better show of tye products instead of headlands vs middle of field. The middle of field will always grow more than headlands

I was wondering about that all right. You've always have to be wary when the test and subsequent results are all dictated by the company. Anyway why don't you use it on half your field and report back;):D

I was wondering about that all right. You've always have to be wary when the test and subsequent results are all dictated by the company. Anyway why don't you use it on half your field and report back;):D

Ive used timac products before and have always got what they said I would. 14e a l and comes in 10l drum.
    Worth a try

Ive used timac products before and have always got what they said I would. 14e a l and comes in 10l drum.
    Worth a try
    When I read about it I also thought it would an ideal product to use with MCPA

When I read about it I also thought it would an ideal product to use with MCPA

If you've no clover ;)

Walked reseed this morning. Not looking brilliant. Headlands are up really well and 4 leaves on most. Middle of field very patchy. Have something nipping top of new seedlings? Over run with fat hen. Few docks and chickweed but fat hen really taking over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Walked reseed this morning. Not looking brilliant. Headlands are up really well and 4 leaves on most. Middle of field very patchy. Have something nipping top of new seedlings? Over run with fat hen. Few docks and chickweed but fat hen really taking over

Grazed mine this week with a cover of 700 on it,was struggling due to lack of rain but really thickened up in last 2 weeks. After rain.flying now after cows skint it.will graze again in 10 days and that's it till February .

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Grazed mine this week with a cover of 700 on it,was struggling due to lack of rain but really thickened up in last 2 weeks. After rain.flying now after cows skint it.will graze again in 10 days and that's it till February .

How long us yours sowed? Mines down 4 wks maybe im making a problem out of nothing father thinks so any way. Has improved with rain alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Probably rabbits doing the nipping, they go mad for reseeds here...

• Advertisement

When did you put it in Mahoney?

Zr105 wrote: »
    Probably rabbits doing the nipping, they go mad for reseeds here...

Very few rabbits here. Rarely see one. See a few pigeons in it though

When did you put it in Mahoney?

August bank holiday weekend.has got bag and a half of pasture sward followed by a bag of can before deadline shut and was sprayed with mcpa.very clean sward now.

August bank holiday weekend.has got bag and a half of pasture sward followed by a bag of can before deadline shut and was sprayed with mcpa.very clean sward now.

Straight MCPA? What dilution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭degetme

Would you find mcpa severe on grass seedings? Uses pastor here. Find it a good job long term. However mcpa would be a great cost saving

Put in a few acres start Sept. Same as GreenGrass - feel that it's not doing super. The rain the past while has helped it a lot, before that it wasn't doing much.

Headland looks better, but I think there was more seed put out in it maybe...

• Advertisement

degetme wrote: »
    Would you find mcpa severe on grass seedings? Uses pastor here. Find it a good job long term. However mcpa would be a great cost saving

4.5 Ltrs per he in 300 ltrs water.great kill on weeds and didn't check grass at all.no clover in mix though.thinking of broadcasting clover next summer.clover safe sprays too expensive and not as good.doing it this way allows a great chance to kill weeds early

Put in a few acres start Sept. Same as GreenGrass - feel that it's not doing super. The rain the past while has helped it a lot, before that it wasn't doing much.

Always feel it's better to go with new reseedes from mid July to mid August in autumn to give a good chance to spray and graze before winter and allow it to thicken.itll come alright though don't worry.any chance it could be frit fly nibbling at leaves gg

4.5 Ltrs per he in 300 ltrs water.great kill on weeds and didn't check grass at all.no clover in mix though.thinking of broadcasting clover next summer.clover safe sprays too expensive and not as good.doing it this way allows a great chance to kill weeds early

Dont sow clover here either in the last few years. Any clover safe sprays arent worth a fck imv

Always feel it's better to go with new reseedes from mid July to mid August in autumn to give a good chance to spray and graze before winter and allow it to thicken.itll come alright though don't worry.any chance it could be frit fly nibbling at leaves gg
    Font frit eat leaves and the root? It would love some N but we know the story there

Put in seed before in sept, and was very pleased with results. It turned out very clean, even tho it didn't get a post emergence spray. Reseeded in spring time, and this got a spray - but didn't come as clean.
    Now - the main reason could be clover friendly sprays. But I like to include clover in the reseed.

Ah, I'll leave it come away and graze it in November sometime.

• Advertisement

Very few rabbits here. Rarely see one. See a few pigeons in it though

Ah rite, was very few here in one spot but they seem to have increased an awful lot the last 2 year...
    degetme wrote: »

Pastor does a great job alright, but a word of warning it's no longer approved for use on new lays, can only be used on older pasture now.....

How long us yours sowed? Mines down 4 wks maybe im making a problem out of nothing father thinks so any way. Has improved with rain alright

Same here greengrass, in a month, great in lower part of field almost nothing in spots hard to understand why some seeds can grow 4 inches and som only emerging now, minimum till

You're braver than me. Farmer Pudsey uses it on reseeds as well
    6FkBCc.png

Ah rite, was very few here in one spot but they seem to have increased an awful lot the last 2 year...

Pastor does a great job alright, but a word of warning it's no longer approved for use on new lays, can only be used on older pasture now.....

Yep i know that. Dont tell department man that tho
    ;-)

Agree. Reseeded in sept last year and didn't get it grazed. In hindsight I should have topped it as cover was too heavy for grazing in spring.

Do you know why?

Font frit eat leaves and the root? It would love some N but we know the story there

Your message box is full gg - won't take a new pm ;)

Do you know why?

Not sure to be honest. PCS numbers for chemicals are renewed each year and under this years renewal they(pastor and dockstar) werent approved for new lays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

what method of reseeding did you use?

Lambofdave wrote: »
    what method of reseeding did you use?

It was reclaimed ground, so it was cleared with a digger, then left for a few weeks, sprayed, power harrowed and grass put it with a one pass.

It was very soft, could have done with a roll, but it's too high a field, so you would have done more harm than good trying to roll it.

• Advertisement

Can you spot the difference?

This is last year's September reseed. One side was disc and power harrowed and the other only got the chain harrow. I'm standing on the dividing line

4YSksi.jpg

Can you spot the difference?

This is last year's September reseed. One side was disc and power harrowed and the other only got the chain harrow. I'm standing on the dividing line

4YSksi.jpg

Was that patchy like mine is now?

Was that patchy like mine is now?

No. The tilled section was slower to grow if I remember rightly - but grew evenly. The main difference GG is my soil never really gets into moisture deficit even in a dry summer like this. I bet a fortnight after this rain will make a huge difference (please tell me you're getting rain at the moment!!!)

No. The tilled section was slower to grow if I remember rightly - but grew evenly. The main difference GG is my soil never really gets into moisture deficit even in a dry summer like this. I bet a fortnight after this rain will make a huge difference (please tell me you're getting rain at the moment!!!)

Ye I am good bit there tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

reseeded around 10th Aug ,no clover ,will sow in spring,slow coming so put watery slurry on it when light rain came ,finished grazing last monday,put more watery slurry on and its growing fine again , plenty rain now,must pick more small stones off though and roll again, wonder is rolling best left till spring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

drought screwed up some reseeds this year across all methods of reseeding

Hard to believe it happened 2 years in a row, whats the chances of 3 in a row ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

JDI I'm guessing left hand side got discs?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    JDI I'm guessing left hand side got discs?

You win the prize :). Absolutely no difference when you walk it. No evidence of dividing line either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

You win the prize :). Absolutely no difference when you walk it. No evidence of dividing line either.

What did ya use on it for fertiliser during the year JDI?
    Any slurry?Did ya cut silage of it this year.

Advertisement