Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reseeding

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Just wondering today seeing as there was no rain since I sowed the grass would any of the 30 units I put oug still be there?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

just do it wrote: »
    You win the prize :). Absolutely no difference when you walk it. No evidence of dividing line either.

Is ground softer where it got discs? I suppose you won't really know until a real wet spell? Found disced grass seed was very wet on top in 2012.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Is ground softer where it got discs? I suppose you won't really know until a real wet spell? Found disced grass seed was very wet on top in 2012.

Bad operator on disc made a pan on you. Get a mole plough or an aerator tgey will sort it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

It was last autumn and this spring. No difference now but this rain will tell a tale.

I said wrote: »
    What did ya use on it for fertiliser during the year JDI?
    Any slurry?Did ya cut silage of it this year.

Slurry and compound fertilisers. Needs lime now. Took 2 quick cuts off it. Early management was poor due to being too wet to graze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

my experience with discing field twice 2 years ago was ground was and still is extremely hard even though direct seeder was used to sow and surface was done perfectly,grass burnt in field and was unsuitable for silage, got watery slurry when rain came and is growing fine now. my ground is dry anyway and its easy to spot where stones are less than 6" from surface. know a few fellas who purchased ploughs again who were gone to reseeding after spraying and direct seeding. 3 had sold spring loaded ploughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Bit of this going on here today, harrow & lime, tomorrow seed, roll, and pray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

fair play to you-looking really well

stanflt wrote: »
    fair play to you-looking really well

Hopefully it'll grow for me, roller build was massively delayed so that pushed me out into October. But that land was dry as a cork after September drought so hard to know was it all for luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

That is hard work, I know plenty guys around here with land much better than that and it's covered in furze etc. lads like u deserve more land

• Advertisement

That is hard work, I know plenty guys around here with land much better than that and it's covered in furze etc. lads like u deserve more land

Haha, thanks, tis not all sunshine and roses here but I try to improve things bit by bit. The best time to start is now, no matter the job, the best place to start is at the beginning! I've started sorting things from the bottom of the farm up, great encouragement to see progress that way, I think anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Job looks well Con,,furze is a divil to get rid of and will return where you have reseeded even if you pulled roots but a man near me has reclaimed a lot of ground with furze on it and reckons that if you spray it two or three years in a row you will kill it forever!

Job looks well Con,,furze is a divil to get rid of and will return where you have reseeded even if you pulled roots but a man near me has reclaimed a lot of ground with furze on it and reckons that if you spray it two or three years in a row you will kill it forever!

Grazon 90, very effective on furze, but also very expensive! They have a large seedbank which needs dealing with. Two options... Burn first, then spray regrowth. Or, spray furze, when they're dried and dead burn then for a HOT fire, then spray regrowth. Not a total solution, but it reduced the seedbank in the soil.

would you need to lightly roll to firm seedbed first,
    i use bush to cover mine as id bring up a truck load of stones the size of football with solid zig zag harrow or is there a better seed harrow for covering seed in stony ground where one pass or direct tilling cannot be used.

sandydan wrote: »
    would you need to lightly roll to firm seedbed first,
    i use bush to cover mine as id bring up a truck load of stones the size of football with solid zig zag harrow or is there a better seed harrow for covering seed in stony ground where one pass or direct tilling cannot be used.

I've no idea, this is my first time trying it. Hadn't planned on rolling twice... Thinking now.

I've no idea, this is my first time trying it. Hadn't planned on rolling twice... Thinking now.

Ye roll it twice. I only rolles mine once and its up aloy more where it got more if a rolling compared yo rest.
    Ill know for next time

Ye roll it twice. I only rolles mine once and its up aloy more where it got more if a rolling compared yo rest.
    Ill know for next time

So roll it, then spread seed, then roll again, yeah?

just looking at pics if surface is reasonably compact its fine, anyways u don't have too much time for thinking about it,if rolling after sowing, you will be fine but i know chap set about 14 acres reclaimed dark ground, after discking and spike rotavating,seed scattered and harrowed using zig zag and he recons he lost about half as he recons as it was too "fluffy" and seed went too deep.
    anyone ive seen rolling before sowing its usually done with light rollers not water filled though. in your case id sow it, after work you've done as weather is factor

Lol, roller is filled with concrete so it's always going to be the same weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Can you spot the difference?

This is last year's September reseed. One side was disc and power harrowed and the other only got the chain harrow. I'm standing on the dividing line

4YSksi.jpg

Guessing l would say the left of photo was power harrow :-)

• Advertisement

Lol, roller is filled with concrete so it's always going to be the same weight.

well in that case sow and roll.

Some thought gone into that. I remember you discussing it last year. Good warm land so no fear of the seed germinating.

Is that a ring roller behind the quad?

Muckit wrote: »
    Guessing l would say the left of photo was power harrow :-)

Is that a real guess or memory? :D

Some thought gone into that. I remember you discussing it last year. Good warm land so no fear of the seed germinating.

Is that a ring roller behind the quad?

I see MT talking about highs of 18-20 next week I think? It's on the weather forum anyway, so hopefully I'll get that bit of luck and for the frost to keep away for a while after.

It was meant to be a type of a ring roller alright, but that theory got lost in translation between me and the fabricator as the three sections don't move up and down independently much really. But that's fair enough because it could have been nigh on impossible to achieve using concrete. The outside if big corrugated pipe I had for another project.

Next job I'll ask him to do is make up a frame and wheels for the harrow, for getting into corners.

I see MT talking about highs of 18-20 next week I think? It's on the weather forum anyway, so hopefully I'll get that bit of luck and for the frost to keep away for a while after.

It was meant to be a type of a ring roller alright, but that theory got lost in translation between me and the fabricator as the three sections don't move up and down independently much really. But that's fair enough because it could have been nigh on impossible to achieve using concrete. The outside if big corrugated pipe I had for another project.

Next job I'll ask him to do is make up a frame and wheels for the harrow, for getting into corners.

Hope that forecast is accurate Con....did some reseeding myself on similar ground....seed in now about a week so hopefully it starts to emerge above ground soon.
    For people on 'real' land who reseed regularly in general how long should it take days wise from seeding to emergence of first grass shoots?.....would imagine at this time of year you could add a few days to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭degetme

Hope that forecast is accurate Con....did some reseeding myself on similar ground....seed in now about a week so hopefully it starts to emerge above ground soon.
    For people on 'real' land who reseed regularly in general how long should it take days wise from seeding to emergence of first grass shoots?.....would imagine at this time of year you could add a few days to it.

The usual for us would be four/five days. You would harldy notice them tho they would be that small. Stil only germinating at that stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

So roll it, then spread seed, then roll again, yeah?

Old rule "smaller the seed, firmer the bed" roll sow roll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

I hope there us a bit of heat in the next few days....... I only sat the lawn this day last week. No problem if a field of grass fails, but if the lawn fails to green up, herself with put my balls in a vice :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

do most of my reseeding every year late july early august and its up after 6 to 7 days

• Advertisement

Old rule "smaller the seed, firmer the bed" roll sow roll

Too late now, just home for lunch, seed is out. Effing seeder did not work as promised. I'll roll it now shortly.

i know some will laugh at this but in lowland(bog type soil i have) i ran bush over it before instead of rolling to firm seedbed and avoid compaction, and after sowing as well as rolling, 3 bushes or skeaghs as locals call them, tied together to cover about 12 feet , no seed harrow as stones are major problem. its up after 8 days got a dose of watery slurry day after sowing, was thing of making harrow using light tines bolted on frame with wheels to adjust height to cover seed as rolling on stony ground is not sufficient to cover imo, watery slurry is great detterant for seed stealing pigeons and birds imo, lime for rabbits .
    ps i scatter seed by hand in awkward patches of 1/4 acre or so

All rolled in now, for better or worse. Had one fairly hairy moment, actually jumped off the quad, roller pushed her going down an awkward hill, thought twas going to roll over and I wasn't going to go with it. Hopped back on before she came to a stop and away again.

Best of luck with it Con. It won't be from a lack of effort that it might fail. And remember, grass grows in the middle of the road!

All rolled in now, for better or worse. Had one fairly hairy moment, actually jumped off the quad, roller pushed her going down an awkward hill, thought twas going to roll over and I wasn't going to go with it. Hopped back on before she came to a stop and away again.

to be honest with you id prefer a mf35X or mf 240 on ground like yours, than a quad, a small Kubota or such tractor 4wd preferably. too many injured with quads for my liking ,neighbour's quad bowled back on him and hed have been found dead under it if children who love quads had not been watching him using binoculars and thought they saw him waving from underneath, lots of frantic phone calls and emergency vehicles and ambulances were required to get him to hospital, doctors at scene, told his wife that his chances of survival were almost nil but he was lucky, there is another long wheeled version of quad that can be fitted with cab. but anyway good luck with your reseeding you've worked hard and deserve good results ,some i know would be in pub preaching about hardship and living on dole.

Best of luck with it Con. It won't be from a lack of effort that it might fail. And remember, grass grows in the middle of the road!

well if someone said that to me after the amount of work Con put into it if it was mine, id feel right bad if it failed id.............

• Advertisement

All them require money I don't have :) Our type ground not all too suitable for tractors, leave too big a rut, quad is the job.

I knew there was potential for trouble with the roller today, so I was constantly ready to abandon ship at the slightest sign of trouble. In that regard, the plan worked, I didn't even for a split second try to save the quad, even though she didn't roll, my 1st priority was not to be under it if she did.

Have done lots of driving around with stakes, wire, fert, and sprayer on the racks so I have an idea what she's happy doing or not. The roller was a bit like having a trailer on a car and going into a wet corner too quick, gave me a little shunt and wobble. I won't say it won't happen again but I think the plan I had thought out worked well.

Was looking at Bing maps today and there are parts of the farm I wouldn't consider using a quad to reseed with, or tractor! Just too dangerous.

sandydan wrote: »
    well if someone said that to me after the amount of work Con put into it if it was mine, id feel right bad if it failed id.............

It was meant as encouragement! Reading it again though I get what you're saying. I suppose to put it in context I mean you don't need to plough, power harrow, chain harrow, roll, seed and roll to get grass growing. I did no till last year and this year (i.e. Chain harrow - spread seed with wagtail - fert - 1000gl slurry) and it came the finest. But of course Con knows that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is it possible to put some kind of roll bar or even a roll pole on a quad ? Or would it make it too awkward to use , and get in the way ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

It was meant as encouragement! Reading it again though I get what you're saying. I suppose to put it in context I mean you don't need to plough, power harrow, chain harrow, roll, seed and roll to get grass growing. I did no till last year and this year (i.e. Chain harrow - spread seed with wagtail - fert - 1000gl slurry) and it came the finest. But of course Con knows that ;)
    ah yeah i didnt mean the reply the way it reads either:), some how i think the grass growing on roads hardly meets the dept recommended list or would feature in moorepark trials recommended list either.imo that variety is close to being a weed variety/
    i know fella who boasts he only reseeds the spud garden plot annually only , milks 60 cows and features in high protein list regularly, im suspecting its done on ground grazed to clay by inclusion in either slurry tank (know chap puts about 2X 2litre containers of hayseed into slurry hose pipe when filling) or mixing in fertilizer application,
    btw what do you think of a remark i heard on a sky program promoting organic methods of adding clover seed in cow feed, that it will pass through digestive system into dung and grow in field. my opinion of suggestion; crap

All them require money I don't have :) Our type ground not all too suitable for tractors, leave too big a rut, quad is the job.

I knew there was potential for trouble with the roller today, so I was constantly ready to abandon ship at the slightest sign of trouble. In that regard, the plan worked, I didn't even for a split second try to save the quad, even though she didn't roll, my 1st priority was not to be under it if she did. I won't say it won't happen again but I think the plan I had thought out worked well.

Was looking at Bing maps today and there are parts of the farm I wouldn't consider using a quad to reseed with, or tractor! Just too dangerous.

im not criticizing what you do, just in view of pic you posted and your escape episode. i had some ground similar before i removed boulders and ditches to give clear run up and down hill in order to avoid driving across field when i had some money from off-farm work.

the injured chaps i know were almost so used to quads and had their back up plans in case of that when things went haywire they couldn't figure out what went wrong,so be extra careful that's all, in one case fella figured it was the 1st shower after dry spell caused wheel to slip and the resulting jump when it gripped again.
    one chap whose tractor ran off, said, when he jumped off, it was one of the few times that his jacket had not got caught in bolt holding on number plate on rear of seat bracket in MF tractor and he had traversed that part of field several times. i don't know price of quad you have,but some around here have quads costing same as very good secondhand small tractor even a 4wd tractor imo,

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    Is it possible to put some kind of roll bar or even a roll pole on a quad ? Or would it make it too awkward to use , and get in the way ?
    i recon the wheelbase in standard quad is too short, there is a longer quad, is it called a gator or such, maybe thats a brand name of JD. but its like a small hilux for want of better description, but i think and im open to correction on this they come with cab ,dont know if thats a safety cab or not. one well known casualty of a quad accident was an IFA president a few years back, cant think of his name but i think he was a Co Galway man. lucky not to be crippled i think,

Had glanbia manager out this mirn. Looked at reseed thinks its doing great.
    Im thinking of getting that stim grass to spray on it and forget about spraying for weeds.
    7% N in it

Im thinking of getting that stim grass to spray on it and forget about spraying for weeds.
    7% N in it
    BAD move post emeregence spray is as if not more important than burning off before job.If its as good as he says dont bother with that stim grass,Waste of money.It may give grass a small boost but by not spraying you are allowing docks etc to establish and will be very hard to kill long term

7% N in it

What ever about the stimgrass, I wouldn't leave out the post-emergence. The weeds will never be as susceptible to spray again

mahoney_j wrote: »
    BAD move post emeregence spray is as if not more important than burning off before job.If its as good as he says dont bother with that stim grass,Waste of money.It may give grass a small boost but by not spraying you are allowing docks etc to establish and will be very hard to kill long term

He's a tillage man so has more knowledge of spraying than me. Says it won't do much good spraying now. Could be 2 wks before its up enough to spray and growing conditions aren't there to spray then was his reasoning

Speaking of post emergence spray, what spray should I use on my job? And when, 5-6 weeks time?

Speaking of post emergence spray, what spray should I use on my job? And when, 5-6 weeks time?
    I wouldn't have any idea Con but logically would you not think that theres going to be shag all growth of any account in five to six weeks time so would there be any point spraying in November?

I wouldn't have any idea Con but logically would you not think that theres going to be shag all growth of any account in five to six weeks time so would there be any point spraying in November?

That's what I'd imagine, but not having done this before it's better to ask I would have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

good clover safe post emergence sprays are impossible to get this year, legumux and allistel are off the market. i have a problem with nettles but going to nab them with the weedlicker

con, i would wait and see what weeds come up and then decide what type of product to use IMO

He's a tillage man so has more knowledge of spraying than me. Says it won't do much good spraying now. Could be 2 wks before its up enough to spray and growing conditions aren't there to spray then was his reasoning
    Id seriously question that advice,Weather is due to setle next week get your post emergence on then and forget about stim grass would be my advice.Grass is a very resiliant seed and as long as its fairly well established at this syage i wouldnt worry too much about it,Weeds on the other hand need to be eliminated early

• Advertisement
Advertisement