Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reseeding

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Speaking of post emergence spray, what spray should I use on my job? And when, 5-6 weeks time?

It is not how long it is at what stage. There are a few post emergence sprays that are clover safe such a legumex DB. Grass has to be at the two leaf stage and clover at one true leaf. However due to how late it is in the year it is unlikly you will be able to spray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Id seriously question that advice,Weather is due to setle next week get your post emergence on then and forget about stim grass would be my advice.Grass is a very resiliant seed and as long as its fairly well established at this syage i wouldnt worry too much about it,Weeds on the other hand need to be eliminated early

Im of the same thinking but there is still grass cominh up in it. Ill keeo an eye on it of course. Only thing is father thinks his advice is spot on so have to get around him if I do go to spray

It is not how long it is at what stage. There are a few post emergence sprays that are clover safe such a legumex DB. Grass has to be at the two leaf stage and clover at one true leaf. However due to how late it is in the year it is unlikly you will be able to spray

I thought it was 3 leaves had to be kn grass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Speaking of post emergence spray, what spray should I use on my job? And when, 5-6 weeks time?

I did a reseed this time 2 years ago, it got no post emergence, it came fine, and was very clean.
    I think keeping on top of it with the sheep gives the chance a great chance, and seems to crowd out most of the weeds.

I did a small bit of reseeding this year as well, and have no plans at the minute to spray (we'll see what'll happen come springtime) ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I reckon chickweed is the only weed to worry about in autumn reseeds. It can smother a lot of grass. Most weeds are soft annual weeds which die when they are cut or grazed. Docks can be done at a later stage when the grass is established.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

I was thinking about burning of a field now and leaving it to rot away and then do a cheap reseed job on it in the spring, I have a drum of grazon 90 I'm just wondering do you guys think it would work properly this late on in the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

BAD move post emeregence spray is as if not more important than burning off before job.If its as good as he says dont bother with that stim grass,Waste of money.It may give grass a small boost but by not spraying you are allowing docks etc to establish and will be very hard to kill long term
    If the p+k and ph are right, and the grasses and clover are doing well won't they out compete any of the weeds and docks anyway ??
    But I'm probably coming from the wrong angle ... I would have though a very light grazing would be a better job

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Lads spray as soon as ground/weather conditions allow be that in autumn or next spring, it might be clean now but post emergence spray Is the start to keeping it clean for longer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

I reseeded late last year, it struggled for the winter and wasn't strong enough for PM spray until March. I used Pastor instead of Legumex, did a lovely job on it. Have been using StimiGrass in the PM sprays for the last few year, it gives grass some shot in the arm. Reseeding without a Pm spray is a waste of time IMO, did it once in a field that I thought was very clean, 6 months later docks, and I have been spraying the fcukers since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

agriman27 wrote: »
    I was thinking about burning of a field now and leaving it to rot away and then do a cheap reseed job on it in the spring, I have a drum of grazon 90 I'm just wondering do you guys think it would work properly this late on in the year
    IF you spray now it has to be back in green cover in a specified time, friend had an inspection last year as he sprayed field with round up and never got round to reseeding it

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭john p mc g

Would ye lads put out 0-10-20 this time of year have a few bags its for ground i reseeded last year its very hungry looking

Would ye lads put out 0-10-20 this time of year have a few bags its for ground i reseeded last year its very hungry looking

Since you reseeded it what fertlizer/slurry has it got and at reseeding what did it get

Since you reseeded it what fertlizer/slurry has it got and at reseeding what did it get

It got 10-10-20 when reseeded 2 bags and same in spring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

you cant spread it now as season has closed but........it would be a help alright but why leave it till now if it was sitting in the yard ,Should of been out 2 months ago

you cant spread it now as season has closed but........it would be a help alright but why leave it till now if it was sitting in the yard ,Should of been out 2 months ago

Closed season is for nitrogen not for potash not sure about phosphate

• Advertisement

Closed season is for nitrogen not for potash not sure about phosphate

Closed for nitrogen and phos.

It got 10-10-20 when reseeded 2 bags and same in spring

What was field used for al season grazing? silage?

If grazing unless it was at low index 4 bags of 10-10-20 should have kept it ticking along. Reseeded ground needs a good bit of nitrogen as well.

It being the closed season for artifical Fert but if you have access to slurry 2K gallons/acre should really boost it. The season for slurry will not close until next week That will give it 40-60N, 12P and 76K.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

It being the closed season for artifical Fert but if you have access to slurry 2K gallons/acre should really boost it. The season for slurry will not close until next week That will give it 40-60N, 12P and 76K.
    40- 60 N cant be right for 2k slurry alone or am I reading it right FP

Robson99 wrote: »
    40- 60 N cant be right for 2k slurry alone or am I reading it right FP

This time of year with ground wet little wind, if you get a shower after spreading a lot of the N goes into the ground. The smell you get when you spread slurry is amonia. When you get no smell after spreading slurry the N is going straight into the ground. Teagasc think you only get max 20 of available N out of slurry (there are actually 40 units/1K gallons) In right conditions I think you get 20ish. Maybe 50 for 2k gallons is optmistic but 40 is very possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

whelan2 wrote: »
    IF you spray now it has to be back in green cover in a specified time, friend had an inspection last year as he sprayed field with round up and never got round to reseeding it

Thanks whelan I never even heard about that that before think I will be leaving it alone until spring so. I might try and get a man with sheep to eat it of bare over winter instead

• Advertisement

They don't live by that rule in wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

This time of year with ground wet little wind, if you get a shower after spreading a lot of the N goes into the ground. The smell you get when you spread slurry is amonia. When you get no smell after spreading slurry the N is going straight into the ground. Teagasc think you only get max 20 of available N out of slurry (there are actually 40 units/1K gallons) In right conditions I think you get 20ish. Maybe 50 for 2k gallons is optmistic but 40 is very possible.

I always thought 1k gallons was approx to 7-6-38 units

Robson99 wrote: »
    I always thought 1k gallons was approx to 7-6-38 units

There are 40 units of N in slurry. In the wrong conditions all of it can go up into the air as it is ammonia Nitrogen. This is the real strong smell you ge as you spread slurry in hot weather. The stronger the smell the more than is going up in the air. This is why trailing shoe and dribble bars are being used so that less goes up in the air and way more units are available.

Lads that have lagoons always tell you that they get way more N that from conventional slatted tanks. However in the right spreading conditions as at present especially if you get a shower after spreading( not a deluge into already wet ground) more N is taken into the ground where it is available for grass to take up. In spring those doing tillage plough or till slurry into the ground so that less N becomes air bound.

IMO and I do not have reserch papers to prove it but have seen from grass growth and silage produced 15 units of N is easily achieveable and I think at times I have got 20 units in murky spring weather.

Got a few bags in coop damaged no funds durning summer

p10StXo6j 5 weeks tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

p10StXo6j 5 weeks tomorrow

Photos ;)

just do it wrote: »
    Photos ;)

Not coming up for you?

Not coming up for you?

Now it is. Didn't originally for some reason

Is there a lot of weed in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Too dry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Not coming up for you?

Not been smart gg but that's fairly poor looking for stuff that's in 5weeks considering weather and growth.presuming it got enough manure and lime.what method was used to sow it??.i now picture. May not do it justice but looks very patchy wit lots of weeds,certainly wouldn't consider not applying the post emergence spray and maby that stim grass you were on about wouldn't go amiss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

was that the ground you discked and reseeded

Not been smart gg but that's fairly poor looking for stuff that's in 5weeks considering weather and growth.presuming it got enough manure and lime.what method was used to sow it??.i now picture. May not do it justice but looks very patchy wit lots of weeds,certainly wouldn't consider not applying the post emergence spray and maby that stim grass you were on about wouldn't go amiss
    Ye im not overly happy with it tbh. Ye got its two bags of lime and 3 x 10-10-20.
    Was very dry when sowed and only got first bit of rain two weeks ago. Grass is there the pigeons and crows are pushing it down though.
    Still alot of grass only with 2 leaves

Is there a lot of weed in it?

Ye its over run with fat hen..tye first reseed my father did in that field 10 yr ago it failed. Hooe tye same doesn't happen to this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

I have seed in 5 weeks as well ,the drought really affected it, bit better than yours green but some areas very thin, only thing is weed haven't grown either , some areas grass 5 inches some areas nothing ,but seed still emerging

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Night Nav

Was this field sprayed for frit fly or whe you say there are birds attacking it would you have slug damage

Night Nav wrote: »
    Was this field sprayed for frit fly or whe you say there are birds attacking it would you have slug damage

Nope not sprayed. Actually looks work than what it is tbh. Lay down on it this morn and looked across it. Good lot of grass in it just slow with the cold nights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

did anyone ever notice that some hayseeds seem cleaner or appear to have less weeds than others. fella i worked with remarked on this a few years ago.said he ran out of hayseed due to wrong setting on spreader. due to it being Saturday he had to purchase another brand from different supplier to finish field.said man guaranteed him it would be cleaner than what he had sown. met him last week and he still sticks to that brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Nope not sprayed. Actually looks work than what it is tbh. Lay down on it this morn and looked across it. Good lot of grass in it just slow with the cold nights

Id chance some slurry on it now before that window closes Warm it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Reseeded a 3 acre field in August.

Ploughed in August

Ploughed_zps08b589b7.jpg

After day 4, ploughed, disk harrowed, crushed X 4, Shake grass seed, shake fertilizer, back of chain harrow and finally roll.

rolled_zpsd5ee8128.jpg

2 weeks later

2weeks_zps9c3f8573.jpg

3 weeks later

3weeks_zps61f4465e.jpg

6 weeks later

6weeks_zps5d780acf.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Very nice. Where's that? Post-emergence spray yet?

I seeded a field c. Sept. 10th, establishment very poor yet. Got no rain for a good while after sowing which checked it a fair bit.

MfMan wrote: »
    Very nice. Where's that? Post-emergence spray yet?

I seeded a field c. Sept. 10th, establishment very poor yet. Got no rain for a good while after sowing which checked it a fair bit.

South Galway. Got a bit of rain a few days after being sowed, but practically nothing then until last week. Post emergence with legumex DB there yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭razor8

South Galway. Got a bit of rain a few days after being sowed, but practically nothing then until last week. Post emergence with legumex DB there yesterday.

All merchants can't get lugumex DB around here, do you mind pm me where you got it?

razor8 wrote: »
    All merchants can't get lugumex DB around here, do you mind pm me where you got it?

PM sent

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Took a gamble 3 weeks ago

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    Took a gamble 3 weeks ago

Thats a brilliant take . Mine looking better now with more rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

how's the bit doing that you reseeded?

how's the bit doing that you reseeded?

All the old bent/scutch grass is coming back in mine. Be aswell re do it in spring now

mines doing ok, wont get to spray it til spring but good grass in it

• Advertisement
Advertisement