Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUL Wetsuits

Options
  • 09-04-2014 11:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

Anyone had any experience of using them either through purchase or rental? Their tri wetsuit is reasonably priced at £150...I'm struggling to find one which is between the £100-£200 mark and this seems to be a decent suit from various online reviews.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Entry level Orca and Zone3 wetsuits are around €200 mark.

They are also SCS coated Yamamoto neoprene rather than Smoothskin which is a big difference. If you wanted something similar to the GUL triathlon wetsuit you could go for a Tiger Tri suit around €160 / 170.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I picked up a basic BlueSeventy suit on Wiggle for £115, there are quite a few under £200 there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

AKW wrote: »
    Entry level Orca and Zone3 wetsuits are around €200 mark.

They are also SCS coated Yamamoto neoprene rather than Smoothskin which is a big difference. If you wanted something similar to the GUL triathlon wetsuit you could go for a Tiger Tri suit around €160 / 170.

thanks to both of you.

I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to tri and wetsuits...is there a massive difference between the smooth skin and Yamamoto neoprene you mention? I'm guessing that's a negative on the GUL suit, in terms of value in comparison to other suits available.

From my knowledge of their suits (very limited to be honest) they are a surf / sports based suit getting into triathlon.

For the money you are taking about the likes of Orca are a well established brand and represent far better bang for your buck. My first suit was a Blue Seventy and I thought with the IM logo on it I would be a magic wand for my swim :)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Sorry for derailing this thread a bit, but interested in upgrading my wetsuit and wanted to get a bit of advice. I currently have an Orca Kaisei, which is grand, but is a bit patchy and a bit tricky to get off in transition so am thinking of an upgrade.

Have been thinking so far of:

Orca S4,
    Orca Equip,
    TYR Hurricane C1
    Zone 3 advance

Anyone any opinions on any of the above? Is a decent wetsuit likely to shave much time off, say over the course of an Olympic for arguments sake?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Sorry for derailing this thread a bit, but interested in upgrading my wetsuit and wanted to get a bit of advice. I currently have an Orca Kaisei, which is grand, but is a bit patchy and a bit tricky to get off in transition so am thinking of an upgrade.

Have been thinking so far of:

Orca S4,
    Orca Equip,
    TYR Hurricane C1
    Zone 3 advance

Anyone any opinions on any of the above? Is a decent wetsuit likely to shave much time off, say over the course of an Olympic for arguments sake?

A decent wetsuit is a well-fitting one, which will depend on your build. I'm guessing you're looking at a few online? If so; been there, done that- waste of money. Get a proper fitting in a bricks and mortar (preferably one with an endless pool like Base2Race). I bought an "upgrade" online; it was very tight on my chest and restrictive on the shoulders; useless. I've since purchased a well-fitting suit from B2R and the difference is immense.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    A decent wetsuit is a well-fitting one, which will depend on your build. I'm guessing you're looking at a few online? If so; been there, done that- waste of money. Get a proper fitting in a bricks and mortar (preferably one with an endless pool like Base2Race). I bought an "upgrade" online; it was very tight on my chest and restrictive on the shoulders; useless. I've since purchased a well-fitting suit from B2R and the difference is immense.

Thanks Kurt.

To my shame I sort of abused the system a bit. Tried an Orca on in a bricks and mortar store (without an endless pool) and then just bought the same size online. I see your point though.

Personally i'd be inclined to stay away from Base2Race. I see them as catering for more of a "high end" market and their prices seem to reflect this. Although I appreciate that there is a world of difference between the customer service you get there and other places, price is a much bigger factor for me, hence the range of budget wetsuits listed.

Thanks Kurt.

To my shame I sort of abused the system a bit. Tried an Orca on in a bricks and mortar store (without an endless pool) and then just bought the same size online. I see your point though.

Personally i'd be inclined to stay away from Base2Race. I see them as catering for more of a "high end" market and their prices seem to reflect this. Although I appreciate that there is a world of difference between the customer service you get there and other places, price is a much bigger factor for me, hence the range of budget wetsuits listed.

Leaving the ethics aside, you haven't tried on a suit until you've swam in it. The material will stretch and flex when wet, so the only way you know if it really fits, is by checking how it feels when you're swimming.

I hear you about the cost though. My first suit was an online end-of-season buy for €90, and I was just lucky that it seemed to be a decent fit (for the price). Depends on what your focus is too; I enjoy the swim more than any other part, so could (just about!) justify an expensive ZeroD. Best of luck.

Been looking into this in a bit more detail and i'm considering upping the budget a bit (to a max. 250-300 Euro). The reviews I have read on the TYR hurricane C1 suggest that it's very floaty on the legs (5mm neoprene). My legs are already quite high in the water with 3mm (over the surface at times), so I think this may not be for me. I've also heard some comments about Orca's recent offerings not being great both in terms of design and quality.

I'm slowly coming around to the idea of buying in a bricks and mortar store rather than online, but the choice of manufacturers available is quite poor. According to the websites, I could buy the following brands in Dublin:

Orca (pretty much anywhere)
    TYR (Base2Race)
    Sailfish - only 1 model i think (Base2Race)
    Rocket Science (Irish Fit)
    Zoots old range (cycle superstore)

No sign of 2XU, Zone3 or BlueSeventy, and Xterra are web only. Any recommendations from people in the 200-300 Euro suit bracket? To give a bit of background, i'm 6ft, 11 stone, with good body position in the water but a terrible (and I mean dreadful) catch. My 400 m pool time is about 7.30 and I basically just windmill my arms and kick my way through the water.

Been looking into this in a bit more detail and i'm considering upping the budget a bit (to a max. 250-300 Euro). The reviews I have read on the TYR hurricane C1 suggest that it's very floaty on the legs (5mm neoprene). My legs are already quite high in the water with 3mm (over the surface at times), so I think this may not be for me. I've also heard some comments about Orca's recent offerings not being great both in terms of design and quality.

I'm slowly coming around to the idea of buying in a bricks and mortar store rather than online, but the choice of manufacturers available is quite poor. According to the websites, I could buy the following brands in Dublin:

Orca (pretty much anywhere)
    TYR (Base2Race)
    Sailfish - only 1 model i think (Base2Race)
    Rocket Science (Irish Fit)
    Zoots old range (cycle superstore)

A couple of seasons ago there was an issue with 2XU which resulted in a lot of returns under their 2 year warranty. I was one of their biggest fans and loved the suits unfortunately this issue dented retailler confidence which is why they've fallen away abit.

Zone3 is available in Dublin, don't know why the details aren't up on the website. B2R are primarily selling XeroOD range now. I believe Blue Seventy is also available though mostly from a Dublin based online seller.

Not sure about the validity of the Orca issue. They've been improving their product range and the new S5 is a whole new beast compared to the S4. Also in my experience one of the lowest returns rates.

• Advertisement

If you get the opportunity to try it in the endless pool, and it happened to fit you well, the ZeroD Atlante in B2R would be a good way to spend €300. It's got grooves in the forearm section to help your catch (as many pricier suits will too). I've the version up from this, and the shoulder flexibility in ZeroD suits is best of the three suits I've swam in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Leaving the ethics aside, you haven't tried on a suit until you've swam in it. The material will stretch and flex when wet, so the only way you know if it really fits, is by checking how it feels when you're swimming.

I hear you about the cost though. My first suit was an online end-of-season buy for €90, and I was just lucky that it seemed to be a decent fit (for the price). Depends on what your focus is too; I enjoy the swim more than any other part, so could (just about!) justify an expensive ZeroD. Best of luck.

Really??? Really??? Come on

You don't need a endless pool to be told whether a suit fits or not you just need someone competent.

Also my concern with alot of BnM outfits for suits is, well you really never know the whole story behind stock lines.
    "We really belief in this brand, thats why we stock it and won't stock <insert competitors>"
    ah right, can you tell me who the importer and distributor for this brand is please?

Same with bikes and some shops.

Were it me looking for a suit I would look to Huub and Sailfish, but then again the margins mighn't work for BnM. Also custom from Snugg (cheaper than alot of off the shelf)

tunney wrote: »
    Really??? Really??? Come on

Really. Given the choice between trying how a wetsuit fits when wet, and trying how it fits when dry, I know which option I'd choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Really. Given the choice between trying how a wetsuit fits when wet, and trying how it fits when dry, I know which option I'd choose.

Thats a personal preference, not fact though.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

I've two wetsuits (sailfish & 2XU). Both are 3/4 years old and are low-mid priced suits. I have had both on in the pool recently neither one is "right" for me.

Sailfish has too much boyancy in the legs so I loose my kick (it seems I have something going for me in the water after all)

2XU - Better fitting suit, I kick more with it but my arms were fooked after 300m swimming in it.

Advice given to me - Need loads of flexability in the shoulders and very little boyancy in the legs. Potentially suitable wetsuits

ZeroD Neptune
    TYR Cat3
    HUBB - cant remember which one

With the first two I can at least use the B2R endless pool and stay in there to see how the arms feel after a while.

tunney wrote: »
    Thats a personal preference, not fact though.

Ah tunney, for gods sake its Friday and Spring is in the air... :)

Fact if we must: wetsuits are made from neoprene, which becomes looser when wet. Hence a dry suit can feel way too tight when fitted, but will loosen in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

OP, you could do worse than scanning the Adverts listings as well. Bit like the bike, lots of 'used once' wetsuits going around as overzealous Triathletes back away from the sport for one reason or another.

I noticed a Blueseventy Helix suit going for 250 earlier this year, I think it made 200 which is pretty good value assuming no nicks or tears (and of course that the size suits you). That is a top of the line suit used by many elite athletes, but as ray says different suits will suit different people and without the benefit of independent analysis poolside from a qualified source you may not get a 100% match.

On the other hand, I would hazard a guess that a majority of non-elite triathletes are swimming around in suits that are not suitable for their body type or OW swimming stroke, so go figure.

Just to update you on this, went to both Cycle Superstore and Base 2 Race on Friday. Base 2 Race are more expensive, but I have to say the service I received there was fantastic! One of the lads there (Cian) went through the whole fitting process with me. I was amazed the difference it made when I actually put the wetsuit on properly, as opposed to trying to pull the whole thing up as high as possible to free up the shoulders.

Not only that, but he then game me a few minutes with the wetsuit in the endless pool as well. The ZeroD wetsuit they sell is a bit outside my original budget, but i'm seriously considering upping the budget just on the back of the service I got from them. Highly recommend them.

The ZeroD Atlante is (I think) a class above the Orca Equip just from trying both on. The only think I didn't like about it though was the reverse zipper (zip from the top down) as it means that you can't put the thing on yourself. This is a bit of a pain when you want a quick solo swim before work on a weekday!

Advertisement