Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking near NUIG

Options
  • 09-04-2014 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all

Really need some help re parking please. Would it be possible to get parking in the UCHG car park at about 8.30 in the morning at all? Have a giant interview in NUIG and really don't want to have to be walking/running/driving in circles for 20 mins in the (probably) rain. B & B I'm staying in won't let me leave the car there after 1pm and the interview i an all-day affair.
    Thanks in advance for the help
    Su

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Park at the cathedral. Think it charges 4/6 euro for the day. Its directly across from NUIG.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 susmac

I'm heading for the Lower Newcastle/Distillery Road side though, is it near there? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

susmac wrote: »
    I'm heading for the Lower Newcastle/Distillery Road side though, is it near there? Thanks!

About 5 minutes away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Parking at the Hospital that time should be ok, anytime I go around there at that hour there are spaces, there are lit up signs at the front that tell you how many spaces are available before you go in, turn left at the Hospital for the Cathedral car park if going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

fyi the hospital is 9 euro for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Don't stay at that B&B again.

You could park you car somewhere along the bus route and pay €1.90 each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't know what rules apply to the hospital car park. But really - why do you think it's ok to occupy a space there for the entire day when you're not actually attending the hospital.

As stated, there's a public car-park at the Cathdral 5-7 minutes walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Anyone know the details of the park and ride facility at corrib village?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 susmac

Thanks for the help everyone.
    I don't know what rules apply to the hospital car park. But really - why do you think it's ok to occupy a space there for the entire day when you're not actually attending the hospital.

As stated, there's a public car-park at the Cathedral 5-7 minutes walk away.

Mrs OBumble, I just googled carparks near NUIG, and as that one appeared closest in the results, I really didn't consider any moral aspects, and presumed it was public since it's listed as a Park Rite carpark. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

There are also Pay & Display spaces just in front of the Orbsen building on campus. At 8:30 you would get one of those without any problems, but would probably work out dearer than parking at the cathedral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

you could enquire from the employers whether you could get a visitors permit seeing as you will be there all day.. failing that seeing as you'll be early enough you could park at the end of snipe avenue on newcastle rd for free all day, we used to do it all the time and many people still do!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

As stated, there's a public car-park at the Cathdral 5-7 minutes walk away.

The Galway hospital car park generates €3,000 in fees daily and is contracted out to a private parking company so they're happy to have half of Galway park there if they wish. Bigger question should be why someone who is visiting a family member in hospital for a couple of hours has to fork out €4 a pop......

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    you could park at the end of snipe avenue on newcastle rd for free all day, we used to do it all the time and many people still do!

That's not a very practical solution parking outside peoples houses and taking up space. If you tell everyone do that then the road will be blocked for people that actually live there to park.

mike_ie wrote: »
    Bigger question should be why someone who is visiting a family member in hospital for a couple of hours has to fork out €4 a pop......
    Who is going to decide who pays and who doesn't. Who is visiting and who is using it as a general car park.

people who live there have their own driveways, right at the end there is open space where at least 5/6 cars park there every day, not blocking anything but a wall (not peoples houses) and they are hardly ever the same car so its obvious they don't live there.

The open space is there for the houses/apartments at the end of the road. Potentially there could be up to 10 cars with a right to park there for their homes. That area is not left there for you to park there all day long.

if that is true, then there should be a sign stating so, with dedicated no.s for the apartments, and the clamping that is in operation at the back of the other houses along there should be in place there too. if it is not allowed for people to park there then it should be clear otherwise it is a free for all

ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

boardzz wrote: »
    ignorance

Is it illegal to park there?

Who is going to decide who pays and who doesn't. Who is visiting and who is using it as a general car park.

That would be easily enough done, someone could validate your ticket in the hospital who can confirm that you are visiting. I had a relative in the Galway clinic for a long period of time and we were able to get our ticket validated at the front desk after agreeing it with the hospital.
    The open space is there for the houses/apartments at the end of the road. Potentially there could be up to 10 cars with a right to park there for their homes. That area is not left there for you to park there all day long.

If it is a public road and has no permit system in place then a resident has no more right to park there than someone from the other side of the country.

You could say that every parking space in the city is taking a space for someone living in the area if you go down that road, look at woodquay for instance, lots of houses and none are guaranteed a space outside their house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

h2005 wrote: »
    Is it illegal to park there?

Not illegal, but still it is very ignorant to block up a residential area with NUIG parking. It is a nuisance to locals.

If it is a public road and has no permit system in place then a resident has no more right to park there than someone from the other side of the country.

You could say that every parking space in the city is taking a space for someone living in the area if you go down that road, look at woodquay for instance, lots of houses and none are guaranteed a space outside their house.

Poor comparison. Woodquay is a pay and display area and residents have permits. If snipe avenue introduced a similar model then your comparison might be apt. This type of atitude is a typical Mé Féin atitude berift of consideration for others.

On a related note i noticed there seems to be a car constantly parking in front of and blocking the parcel motel behind the topaz on the newcastle road. I have a strong suspicion that it's a cheeky NIUG'er parking there everyday - a perfect example of the parking chaos in that area. People will park anywhere without consideration for others.

To the OP, just arrive at the cathedral early enough and pay €4 for the day. 8 am should be sufficient time.

zarquon wrote: »
    Not illegal, but still it is very ignorant to block up a residential area with NUIG parking. It is a nuisance to locals.

On a related note i noticed there seems to be a car constantly parking in front of and blocking the parcel motel behind the topaz on the newcastle road. I have a strong suspicion that it's a cheeky NIUG'er parking there everyday - a perfect example of the parking chaos in that area. People will park anywhere without consideration for others.

To the OP, just arrive at the cathedral early enough and pay €4 for the day. 8 am should be sufficient time.

I doubt its someone attending NUIG, they put a stop to it long ago.

I used to park in Topaz often when I was attending NUIG but after a good few weeks of it they started putting notes under my wiper and threatening all sorts on me so rather than test their resolve I parked elsewhere. I'd imagine anyone parking there now would get the same treatment.
    zarquon wrote: »

Poor comparison. Woodquay is a pay and display area and residents have permits. If snipe avenue introduced a similar model then your comparison might be apt. This type of atitude is a typical Mé Féin atitude berift of consideration for others.

The comparison doesn't matter, the fact is nobody has any right whatsoever to the public space outside their house if its in the middle of woodquay or in a housing estate or anywhere and if there is no permit parking then I am as entitled to park on a road as any resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Same way they do it in the Headford Road shopping centre I would imagine. Doesn't take much to see who is dropping their car off and leaving it for the day. That, or validate the parking in the hospital, using the existing barriers to control who enters and exits.

mike_ie wrote: »
    Same way they do it in the Headford Road shopping centre I would imagine. Doesn't take much to see who is dropping their car off and leaving it for the day. That, or validate the parking in the hospital, using the existing barriers to control who enters and exits.

So when I come back from my day long of shopping, I just run into the reception and get my ticket validated.

So when I come back from my day long of shopping, I just run into the reception and get my ticket validated.

No you need to be associated with a patient in the hospital, know their name give your relationship to them, know what ward they are in etc.

As I said they already do this for long term patients in the clinic, well they did it for us anyway.

Advertisement