Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving to Orchard Park, The Curragh, Co. Kildare

Options
  • 09-04-2014 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We are a young family of 4 ( 6 year old boy and 3 month old baby girl) we are excited about moving and buying a house outside Dublin. We have viewed a lovely house in orchard park the curragh that we really like and would just like some advice from people who actually know the area well. Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I am not familiar with that exact area but I did view a house in a place called Brownstown in the Curragh a couple of years ago.
    Of all the places in Ireland I have been to this was the worst. We didn't even slow down, just drove straight back out again.
    A quick google of Orchard Park makes me think it probably isn't too different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Faithbrandan

Hi there. I have been googling the orchard park area and have not found one bit of information good or bad regarding the area. Where and what have you found about the place that you have just mentioned? Thank you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Looks pretty run down
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/50-orchard-park-curragh-co-kildare/2188733

Comment
    I seen young lads beat MP's out of Orchard Park in the Curragh Camp.
    from
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/oireachtas/143800-military-police-patrolling-oireachtas-eireann-3.html
    The Curragh camp provides quarters for Commissioned Officers and enlisted
    personnel. There is an estimated 127 married quarters in the Curragh. This figure includes 20 units in Orchard Park, one of the housing estates adjoining the military facilities. The total number of houses in Orchard Park is over 100, but most of these have been purchased by residents.
    from http://www.tsa.ie/assets/Uploads/pdf/Curragh-Youth-Project-full-report-final.pdf

As I said, I don't know the area but am familiar with Brownstown. Is it near that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Faithbrandan

Brownstown is about a ten minute drive from orchard park. We were out there Monday and that house u pasted on my home.ie Is the only house in the orchard estate that is in that state. Looks like it was neglected by the owner for some time. We asked around the neighbors and they all had the same to say about the estate that is very settled and nothing happens around the area apart from sheep grazing the grass lol. That incident regarding the youths attacking the guards was back in 2009 and there has been nothing recent that would be of concern that I can find. As u no we are really doing our homework before making the leap. We are from Dublin ourselfs and the area's we come from ourself wouldn't be the best places to be bringing children up in. Dublin is just so bad ATM I can't imagine many places that could be worse. We are going to take a drive down evening time to check out the areas. Thank you for your help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I posted this in the Kildare forum for someone else a few weeks ago.

Orchard park is a nice place with some nice people. It use to have a bad name but ever since the army sold the houses to the tenants it has become much better. The main problem is that orchard park was built on a swamp and back in the day they messed up by not taking into account the weight of the house on the foundation. When orchard park was built every house had a path from gate to door that was completely level. Remember that when you look at some of them now.

There is a Centra shop about 2 mins walk from it and that's all the curragh has with regards to shops. Newbridge is only a 5-10 min drive away though.

The curragh has both a boys and girls primary school and a mixed post primary. The army are trying to get civilians off the camp so how long the schools will remain is anyone's guess. There is already talk of amalgamating the 2 primary schools and closing the post primary altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Vaidookas_

Looking for a family home in Brownstown, Curragh, Co. Kildare.

Does anyone have an opinion about the area? The homes look built 10 years ago. Seen one recently and when viewing it was quite a quiet area.

Advertisement