Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTPC/Transcoding box suggestions?

• 09-04-2014 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a dedicated solution for streaming stuff to my TV. I'm thinking of using a Intel NUC but none that I've seen have an optical out port (For 5.1).

Right now I'm using my Macbook and streaming stuff to my Chromecast using plex but its not the greatest (lag, quality etc). I just want a small box capable of watching 1080p (5.1), quiet (it'll be in a cupboard if possible), and manages my media so if i needed to stream to a chromecast in another room, that would be possible.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭squonk

A NUC should be well able to transcode alright. A couple of things stand out from your post though.

1. Why do you need an optical out? Have you something like a Logitec sound system that takes an optical in? HDMI is the standard now really. A Mac Mini I know for certain has an optical out. I have one and used it with my last amp that didn't have HDMI inputs. I've not upgraded the amp and HDMI is far handier all told.

2. Rather than use the Chromecast - which a quick google seems to suggest you need to use another device to stream to, just pop the NUC under the TV and ditch the Chromecast. How are your drives managed? If you can get them on the network you're sound. The Ouya has a Plex client which is handy for other rooms. If you're drive isn't that big then just plug it into the NUC and maybe then use the Chromecast elsewhere for connecting in other rooms. The NUC will have plenty of power for transcoding.

I'd sooner go for a cheap solution with a dedicated Plex client tbh. Streaming from a notebook/tablet is grand as a temporary solution but I wouldn't consider it for a permanent role really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

squonk wrote: »
    A NUC should be well able to transcode alright. A couple of things stand out from your post though.

1. Why do you need an optical out? Have you something like a Logitec sound system that takes an optical in? HDMI is the standard now really. A Mac Mini I know for certain has an optical out. I have one and used it with my last amp that didn't have HDMI inputs. I've not upgraded the amp and HDMI is far handier all told.

2. Rather than use the Chromecast - which a quick google seems to suggest you need to use another device to stream to, just pop the NUC under the TV and ditch the Chromecast. How are your drives managed? If you can get them on the network you're sound. The Ouya has a Plex client which is handy for other rooms. If you're drive isn't that big then just plug it into the NUC and maybe then use the Chromecast elsewhere for connecting in other rooms. The NUC will have plenty of power for transcoding.

I'd sooner go for a cheap solution with a dedicated Plex client tbh. Streaming from a notebook/tablet is grand as a temporary solution but I wouldn't consider it for a permanent role really.

My "5.1 system " is my headset which has only optical input. Its not perfect but its whiat I have. I have an Ouya, a Roku (Sky Go) & a Chromecast, but I'd ditch all for something dedicated and more powerful.

I'd go for the NUC then. It'll do all our want. If you want an optical out then you could always lok up a che4ap used Mac Mini. I would recommend the NUC though as it's better overall though without the optical out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Which NUC would you suggest? There are quite a few variants. Not sure what price I want for all this tbh

How much viewing from other rooms will you do? If it's just allowing you or another family member to watch something while you're watching someting on the main telly with the NUC then that's nothing big.

I'd probably save your money and go for the Celeron based NUC. Something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-DN2820FYKH-Barebone-Graphics-Bluetooth/dp/B00I60Z8Q2/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1397123073&sr=8-13&keywords=NUC+Celeron

People have had good results with the Celeron. Time was when Celerons were barely useable pieces of crap but they're more than capable nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

You could also always get a usb sound card with optical output to use with your headset and a nuc. Saw a couple online by searching for "usb optical sound card" for a relatively cheap price, though I haven't done any research on any of them, so I won't provide a link. Shouldn't be too expensive for a decent one though, as they really don't have to do a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

squonk wrote: »
    How much viewing from other rooms will you do? If it's just allowing you or another family member to watch something while you're watching someting on the main telly with the NUC then that's nothing big.

I'd probably save your money and go for the Celeron based NUC. Something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-DN2820FYKH-Barebone-Graphics-Bluetooth/dp/B00I60Z8Q2/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1397123073&sr=8-13&keywords=NUC+Celeron

People have had good results with the Celeron. Time was when Celerons were barely useable pieces of crap but they're more than capable nowadays.

I notice amazon are currently out of stock, so you could go herehttp://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/intel-nuc-systems/

Cheaper and also offer fully configured version...I got mine from them...and can confirm that the celeron is more than adequate for the job...good review herehttp://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nuc-dn2820fykh-bay-trail-system-review_135053

Advertisement