Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What women like in men...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭the blunder years

strobe wrote: »
    ...and you've decided to make it your mission to balance the sh1t scales? Fight sh1t with sh1t? Big oul sh1t fight?

Seems like everyone's gonna end up covered in sh1t to me.

Poo flinging always ends in tears, no one wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Mod
    Alright- can we leave the bickering out and get back on topic now, please and thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I was told by a few girls I used to work with that a lot of girls will outright refuse to even consider dating someone who's shorter than them and any potential partner must be a few inches taller to compensate for when she's wearing heels.
    They also told me that an awful lot of black women will only date Caucasian men. I don't know if anyone here's ever heard that one.

I've dated a few black women, they said they prefer white guys, I think it's just a personal preference rather than a trend TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Interesting female take on things here:
    First Impressions: 7 Things Women Notice

Gentlemen – Let’s talk about first impressions. Specifically the kind you make on us ladies when we first meet you.

Women size you up as soon as you say “hello.”

The funny thing is she might not even realize the mental checklist forming in her head.

But make no mistake; she’s ticking off good and bad boxes. And you know what they say about first impressions – you only get to make them once.

So make yours count.

Below are 7 visual and audio cues a woman immediately notices and how you can get it right.

1) Your Shoes

Why it matters: If eyes are the window to the soul, then shoes are the window to your style. Wear the wrong ones, and you’ll telegraph a less-than-ideal message. If they look flimsy, she’ll suspect you’re a cheapskate. If they’re ratty and worn-down, she’ll think you don’t care about your appearance (and will wonder what else you don’t care about).
    How to get it right: Consider shoes an investment. Spend what you can on a few good pairs – dress shoes in both black and brown, and a loafer or driving moccasin for more casual outfits. And be sure your shoes are outfit-appropriate – that means no sneakers or sandals with a suit.

2) Your Greeting

Why it matters: Why do you think it’s so nerve-wracking when contestants first get out of the limo on The Bachelor? And guys, don’t pretend you haven’t watched this addictive reality series at least once. It’s because they only get a few words and gestures to make a good first impression. A greeting is the first opportunity to present yourself the way you want to be seen. Your handshake, smile and “hello” all contribute.
    How to get it right: Be confident, but friendly. Don’t look past us, or up and down our frame before you reach our face. Of course, if you can barely make eye contact from nerves, that’s not very appealing either. Look us in the eye, smile warmly, and repeat our name (to help you remember it). And never underestimate the power of a firm handshake.

Take that hand out of your pocket and introduce yourself with a handshake.

3) Your Hands

Why it matters: Since we’re already talking about handshakes, let’s discuss the state of your skin. I know that “Moisturize” probably isn’t high on your list of daily “To Do’s.” But rough hands are not something we ladies want to put up with. No one wants to touch scaly skin. Even if you think moisturizing isn’t “manly,” it’s in your best interest to keep your skin smooth.
    How to get it right: Keep a hand cream at your desk at work and use it when you’re brainstorming your fantasy football lineup or trying to decide what to eat for lunch.

4 ) Your “Look”

Why it matters: There are, of course, big fashion deal breakers guys (hopefully) know not to make. Showing up to a date in an “I’m with Stupid” t-shirt, for instance. Or walking into a business meeting wearing a Confederate flag biker jacket.
    But usually, it’s smaller things that can trip you up with a first impression. A sloppy, untucked shirt – pants that clearly haven’t been pressed – muddy, grass-stained shoes.
    How to get it right: Do a full-mirror scan before you leave your house. Do you look put together? Is your hair combed? Your shoelaces tied? Does your belt match your shoes? A quick once-over will save you from little mistakes in a first impression.
    Throwing on a jacket is always a safe bet.

5) Your Watch

Why it matters: Women don’t expect every man to flex a Rolex, but we do expect you to wear a man’s – not a kid’s – watch. No Mickey Mouse faces. No calculator watches. And nothing made of rubber if you’re not running a marathon.
    How to get it right: If it’s time to upgrade your wrist wear, do a reconnaissance mission at your local department store’s watch counter to see what strikes your fancy. You can’t go wrong with a metal bracelet with a dark face, or a simple-yet-classic leather band with white face. Nothing showy, but nothing that suggests you won it in a carnival game either.

6) Your Grammar

Why it matters: Even in the first exchange of “Hello’s” and “Hi my name is” pleasantries, ladies are making judgments. We notice if you’re using big words or not, if you say “umm,” call us “dude” or “babe,” and if your vocabulary is riddled with curses.
    How to get it right: Read more books? We’re not asking for ten-dollar words dropped into every sentence, but we want to feel confident that you can hold up your end of a conversation if we introduce you to our friends or family without fear of you embarrassing us.

7) Your Hair

Why it matters: The way you wear your hair says a lot about you. A combover trying to cover up a bald patch – you’ll seem insecure. Greasy locks that look like they haven’t been washed in days – a total turn-off.
    How to get it right: Women have different opinions on the “right” length of hair, but that’s subjective. What’s more important is how it’s styled. Or really, if it’s styled at all. If you wear your hair longer, make sure it’s in check when you walk out the door. A little – not a lot – of product is best. If you’re going bald, just shave it off and rock a bare scalp without shame.
    These lists are inevitably full of generalizations, and while I don't agree with all of the above, as some of it sounds like it is aimed at certain types of specific settings perhaps, but overall I think there is a lot of truth in it.

As a scruffy biker type, who has had shoulder length hair off and on for over two decades or more, I know from experience that whenever I had my hair recently styled, wore a suit or was dressing to impress in general (for a job interview, a wedding etc) I got a thousand times more attention from women. It really was and is, like night and day, compared to when I just wore casual jeans, boots and was unshaven.

Even just walking towards women on a footpath, their body language is so much different when they find you aesthetically pleasing, than if they don't, or at least it is in my experience. Of course, some women prefer the scruffy look on guys, the pubs I drink in are full of them but by and large, and aside from the physical attributes already discussed in the OP, I find that the above article is spot on about what some of the other things women find visually attractive in men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Regarding that list I don't particularly believe in first impression except for interviews! I mean, we often make presumption about the people we first meet, but once you meet them everyday, your opinion of them changes.

Some women might do that in their head (I thoughts honestly don't run through my head. The shoes!? I never paid any attention to that unless you were wearing a suit with trainers, then I would take notice!).

Honestly, you can think upon first meeting a guy that he seems great and then once you get to know him he turns out to be a jerk or the other way round. Trust me, first impressions aren't much to go by.

Regarding that list I don't particularly believe in first impression except for interviews! I mean, we often make presumption about the people we first meet, but once you meet them everyday, your opinion of them changes.

Some women might do that in their head (I thoughts honestly don't run through my head. The shoes!? I never paid any attention to that unless you were wearing a suit with trainers, then I would take notice!).

Honestly, you can think upon first meeting a guy that he seems great and then once you get to know him he turns out to be a jerk or the other way round. Trust me, first impressions aren't much to go by.

Oh absolutely. I agree with all of you say which is why I don't think guys should focus on getting girls in clubs and pubs, as it is in these places where they will tend to be judged on superficial things.

Not that they won't get some women judging them on these things outside of those settings, but I just think your personality and non-physical attributes have more of a chance of shining when almost anywhere else other than the pub and club scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I take issue with the shoes. I don't wear beat up shoes but I don't particularly care how expensive they are or look, any woman that did I would gladly miss out on that opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I know it's just a list but Hair Product? Fair enough if someone wants to use it but it is completely unnecessary. I think most of that list could be summed up with 'Basic Hygiene'. Hands don't require moisturising unless someone has a condition. Is that list sponsered by boots?

EDIT: It seems I made the mistake of taking that list any way seriously :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ifaptwohanded

I don't ever remember getting handed a book on the do's and dont's when it came to a man's appearance when trying to impress a lady. Every man has his own style and to me it comes down to basic hygiene and common sense, if you're trying to look good or take pride in your appearance you will dress to impress and keep yourself clean.

• Advertisement

I take issue with the shoes.

It's futile man. Women be judging your on your shoes and you need to accept it :P

Judging Male Sexual Attractiveness Based On The Shoes They Wear
    What Men’s Shoes Say About Their Dating Personalities
    Guys, Women Are Judging Your Shoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Any woman who judges a man on what shoes (brand) he's wearing either has to be a stuck up snot or a gold digger, a person you should stay well clear off imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

I'm a hetrosexual bloke but I would say that shoes thing is spot.

Decent shoes, a nice belt and a classy watch are pre-requisites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Interesting female take on things here:

As a scruffy biker type, who has had shoulder length hair off and on for over two decades or more, I know from experience that whenever I had my hair recently styled, wore a suit or was dressing to impress in general (for a job interview, a wedding etc) I got a thousand times more attention from women. It really was and is, like night and day, compared to when I just wore casual jeans, boots and was unshaven.

Even just walking towards women on a footpath, their body language is so much different when they find you aesthetically pleasing, than if they don't, or at least it is in my experience. Of course, some women prefer the scruffy look on guys, the pubs I drink in are full of them but by and large, and aside from the physical attributes already discussed in the OP, I find that the above article is spot on about what some of the other things women find visually attractive in men.

In fairness, that's not solely a female thing. I certainly get more attention from men when I'm dressed up, than when I'm in my usual skinny jeans and top, with no make up.

I met my bf through work. He didn't notice me at all in my work uniform (slacks and a baggy hoodie because they gave me one 3 sizes too big). One day, I was training new staff, so had to dress differently. I wore a pencil skirt, a nice blouse, styled my hair and put make up on. THAT'S when he noticed me. People of both genders will notice you more when you dress well.

As for the list - load of crap, for me anyway. I've never noticed shoes, I think watches are unnecessary, and I don't care how the person greets me. I notice their smile, their accent and their height (the height thing is because I find it funny that I'm always looking up to speak to men).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Any woman who judges a man on what shoes (brand) he's wearing either has to be a stuck up snot or a gold digger, a person you should stay well clear off imo.

I wouldn't judge the brand as I wouldn't know anything about brands and wouldn't care but subconsciously I might like down at their feet.

Tbh, I have an aversion to very groomed men, so when looking at a man, I might be giving them the up and down without even thinking (don't we all?) and part of that would be to see if he's dressed casually (my preference) or not.

There's a place between scruffy and very groomed. I don't like a man so scruffy where you're unsure whether the guy has had a shower that day or not. Hygiene would obviously be very important to me. I saw a very good-looking man on the metro the other day who looked alternativey (my cup of tea) but his hair was so greasy it was matted to his neck and it completely turned me off him.

I like unshaven men, I like hairy men, I like men who wear casual clothes (trousers, t-shirts and runners) but I don't feel attracted to a man where I'm second guessing whether or not he's cleaned himself recently.

Smart, groomed men do absolutely nothing at all for me and I've always liked 'em rugged and manly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Oh and I think long hair is quite niche. Not all women are going to go for that (not a fan personally) but there is a middle ground between that and groomed. I suppose it depends on the kind of woman you're looking to attract as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Well yes, globally speaking, like will attract like.

If a man is not particularly interested in his appearance and/or fashion, he more than likely won't end up going out with a girl for whom style is everything.

It doesn't always work like this mind you. My ex-girlfriend (even though she never said it explicitly) always seemed to be much happier when I dressed up in casual clothes as opposed to formal, for instance in a suit. And her style was quite feminine really.

I remember also for a job a good few years back now where during the week we always wore suits and on one occasion we exceptionally met at the weekend to discuss one or two urgent matters, but we could wear what we wanted as we weren't meeting clients. I was dressed casually and everyone remarked how more relaxed and confident I looked.

Now whether it is something about me and suits - although I would find this strange, or sometimes people don't always follow the obvious pattern of being attracted to a partner with a similar interest in grooming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Oh and I think long hair is quite niche. Not all women are going to go for that (not a fan personally) but there is a middle ground between that and groomed. I suppose it depends on the kind of woman you're looking to attract as well.

I have long non greasy hair, call me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Why on earth have I just opened a thread entitled "What women like in men"?

My head is wrecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

Brogues for Bro's aiiiiight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

A lot of younger girls really seem to be going for the rebellious look at the moment. Beards seem to be the new addition to that look. The problem is that certain looks only suit certain people. A lot of men would be far better off looking after their skin by regularly shaving/exfoliating etc, rather than trying to copy these models in magazines who are sporting beards. Everybody is free to do what they want, but that's just my opinion on the matter.

I'm saying all of this as a fellow man, btw.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Pug160 wrote: »
    A lot of younger girls really seem to be going for the rebellious look at the moment. Beards seem to be the new addition to that look.

I had to read that a couple of times before I figured out what you meant :pac:
    I had visions of Austria and eurovision

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Facial hair trends go in cycles...currently its in and see more of it

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack Skellington

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Facial hair trends go in cycles...currently its in and see more of it

Woah I really hope not :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

While the price of your shoes shouldn't necessarily be important, the style of them and how well kept they are is, and a lot of women will find beat up shoes a bit of a turn off, but not all I guess. I've heard women in the past say that a guy will instantly become more attractive if she notices he's wearing Converse for example.

In my experience it's far more than just the "gold digger" type who will size you up by what you're wearing. (And you only get one chance to make a first impression!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

tigger123 wrote: »
    While the price of your shoes shouldn't necessarily be important, the style of them and how well kept they are is, and a lot of women will find beat up shoes a bit of a turn off, but not all I guess. I've heard women in the past say that a guy will instantly become more attractive if she notices he's wearing Converse for example.

In my experience it's far more than just the "gold digger" type who will size you up by what you're wearing. (And you only get one chance to make a first impression!)

Converse really? Hate the things and usually they are scruffy when I see them on people as they are worn to death!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

Playboy wrote: »
    Converse really? Hate the things and usually they are scruffy when I see them on people as they are worn to death!

They're awful. If you're over the age of 18 and still wearing converse you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Mike747 wrote: »
    They're awful. If you're over the age of 18 and still wearing converse you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

Ah come on, that's a bit harsh! I think they can look great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I think you're incredibly incorrect. I know plenty of people who wear cons and certainly don't need to take a look at themselves anyway, cons are shoes, they're not some sort of measurement of a persons moral fibre, while admittedly you can make observations about people based on how they present themselves, including their shoes.

D'Agger wrote: »
    I think you're incredibly incorrect. I know plenty of people who wear cons and certainly don't need to take a look at themselves anyway, cons are shoes, they're not some sort of measurement of a persons moral fibre, while admittedly you can make observations about people based on how they present themselves, including their shoes.

They're shoes for teenagers. If you're a grown man and still wear them you're going to look ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

They're shoes for teenagers. If you're a grown man and still wear them you're going to look ridiculous.
    I have more than one pair. If I look ridiculous wearing them in your eyes, then so be it. I won't lose any sleep over it.

It has been said to me before that a good pair of shoes and a good mattress are the two things you will need most in your life. So for buying some shoes, they might as well look decent too. Having the right pair will look presentable and make a bit of an impression I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

Should we judge women by their shoes too? I don't expect that would go down too well.

"Sorry miss, you seem very nice, but I just can't stand patent leather shoes. Yuck, what a turn-off." ! :)

On a more serious note, I'm quite into shoes, but not all men are. I certainly don't think how a man keeps his shoes is a reflection on himself. I think it's a rather populist myth that has caught on.

Decided who exactly? They're shoes, anybody, of any age can wear shoes. You deem them ridiculous, fair enough, but it's hardly definitive across the board

newport2 wrote: »
    On a more serious note, I'm quite into shoes, but not all men are. I certainly don't think how a man keeps his shoes is a reflection on himself. I think it's a rather populist myth that has caught on.

You can draw from them the same way you can draw on how somebody keeps their other items of clothing or posessions - scruffy shoes? Might be a bit messy, polished, gleaming shoes - this person takes care of his posessions or may be tidy, again, it's one thing out of a number of things that may

I don't think anybody was leaning towards being able to see into somebodys soul via their shoes and make a judgement on that person, but it's an indicator imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Playboy wrote: »

They can look really well when they're clean and taken care of. Plus, there's tonnes of different styles and colours. And you can wear them with everything; suits, chinos, jeans, (any style) trousers, shorts etc. They're stylish and cool.

What do you think are acceptable shoes for an adult?
    You can draw from them the same way you can draw on how somebody keeps their other items of clothing or posessions - scruffy shoes? Might be a bit messy, polished, gleaming shoes - this person takes care of his posessions or may be tidy, again, it's one thing out of a number of things that may

I don't think anybody was leaning towards being able to see into somebodys soul via their shoes and make a judgement on that person, but it's an indicator imo

Exactly. We all make snap judgments everyday about people the minute we meet them, and if your unkempt or badly dressed that's the message you're presenting to people/women when you meet them for the first time.

I wouldn't date a woman who wore a beat up pair of trainers on a night out, and most women I know wouldn't date a man wearing something similar.

In my experience the shoes you're wearing matter, and women pay attention to it. But that doesn't mean they have to be expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

Or:

scruffy shoes -> easy going, laid back,
    gleaming polished shoes -> poser, loves himself.

:)

Anyway, agree with all you say (and Tigger123's comment).
    I wasn't that serious about my comment. Suits me fine if women judge men by shoes, because I'll come up trumps. ;)

They can look really well when they're clean and taken care of. Plus, there's tonnes of different styles and colours. And you can wear them with everything; suits, chinos, jeans, (any style) trousers, shorts etc. They're stylish and cool.

What do you think are acceptable shoes for an adult?

Exactly. We all make snap judgments everyday about people the minute we meet them, and if your unkempt or badly dressed that's the message you're presenting to people/women when you meet them for the first time.

I wouldn't date a woman who wore a beat up pair of trainers on a night out, and most women I know wouldn't date a man wearing something similar.

In my experience the shoes you're wearing matter, and women pay attention to it. But that doesn't mean they have to be expensive.

Any decent pair of leather shoes. Sorry, but if I see a grown man wearing converse I just think he's an overgrown teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Any decent pair of leather shoes. Sorry, but if I see a grown man wearing converse I just think he's an overgrown teenager.

Luckily you aren't trying to date him then! :-) For me leather shoes can be nice, if they're a nice style. Black leather shoes with blue jeans for example would make me run a mile. I happen to like converse. It's about taste in style and everyone has different tastes in style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I would find that quite a narrow minded, judgemental view tbh!

I wear Vans (not too dissimilar from Converse) and I'm not too far away from the 40 mark and it's the pair of shoes I get the most compliments from. I've a pair of BT black leather office shoes that are the most expensive I've ever bought and while I really like them, I don't think anyone has ever passed comment on them.

In fact any of the clothes I wear ( that a lot of 20 somethings would wear but still would not look out of place on 30/40 somethings) are always the clothes that people will most compliment me on. My more expensive, neater, shall we say age appropriate clothing that I also wear never generate comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ragnarl

what women like in men, - looks, money and status

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

ragnarl wrote: »
    what women like in men, - looks, money and status

No, you've got that backwards... It's status, money, looks...
    Look these are plusses in everyone's book.
    all other things being equal more money, better looks, higher status, they appeal to everyone.

If you could date someone who was witty and charming, or witty and charming and loaded... moneybags would probably be the better choice...

Wit and sense of humour are tricky ones... we tend to think more highly of people we are attracted to.
    So a good looking fellow gets more laughs from the same joke, told in the same way...

I know I've made excuses for terrible behaviour by attractive women, "nah, she's not a bitch it's totally a joke the way she rags on pretending to be really racist... no, no she's actually supernice"
    Oh wait, I was wrong, how did I miss that? [Edit:may be a slight exaggeration]

We just see attractive people in the best light.
    Female friend of mine said something similar about money... "it's not that the money is attractive, it's that the fact he's rich makes you see him I a different light".

We're all blinded by something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭galwayredgirl

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Hi guys, stumbled on this:

Warning pics of scantily clad men http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/most-popular/the-10-male-features-women-like-best/10/

Upon suggestion from Pawwed Rig, I'll put the list in text for those too afraid of looking at half naked men in the office :D

10) Chest/Shoulders muscles;
    9) Penis;
    8) Neck;
    7) Hair;
    6) Height;
    5) Long Legs;
    4) Eyes;
    3) Flat stomach;
    2) Thinness;
    1) Buttocks;

Not sure about the website, first time I heard of it, but thought it would make some interesting discussion - especially about places #1,#2 and #3, because:

- I have been saying since the dawn of time that women are much stricter than men about weight and tend to go for the super-skinny guys;

- A "10 female features men like" featuring the same in the top 3 would cause outcries of sexism, superficiality and accusation of causing eating disorders;

Curious to see what you think (ladies are more than welcome to chip in of course).

I'll have a large number 9 please :p

kiffer wrote: »
    No, you've got that backwards... It's status, money, looks...
    Look these are plusses in everyone's book.
    all other things being equal more money, better looks, higher status, they appeal to everyone.

If you could date someone who was witty and charming, or witty and charming and loaded... moneybags would probably be the better choice...

Wit and sense of humour are tricky ones... we tend to think more highly of people we are attracted to.
    So a good looking fellow gets more laughs from the same joke, told in the same way...

I know I've made excuses for terrible behaviour by attractive women, "nah, she's not a bitch it's totally a joke the way she rags on pretending to be really racist... no, no she's actually supernice"
    Oh wait, I was wrong, how did I miss that? [Edit:may be a slight exaggeration]

We just see attractive people in the best light.
    Female friend of mine said something similar about money... "it's not that the money is attractive, it's that the fact he's rich makes you see him I a different light".

We're all blinded by something.

I don't know if women care that much about money. I mean think of all the broke ass musicians and artists that are swimming in pussy. In fact I've seen chicks get turned off when guys brag about their jobs. Maybe it's different for older women.

Personally I think the traits a woman finds most attractive in a man are confidence, humor and social status. Looks help of course, but unless you're a total freak I don't think it matters as much as people think.

And unapologetic masculinity. Sensitive new age manginas don't tend do that well.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ragnarl

here is the answer on what attracts women

youtube.com/watch?v=2V7TcSr9GiM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I don't know if women care that much about money. I mean think of all the broke ass musicians and artists that are swimming in pussy. In fact I've seen chicks get turned off when guys brag about their jobs. Maybe it's different for older women.

Bragging is fairly unappealing no matter what it's about... no?
    Broke ass musicians have status, and passion, and fill a specific niche... also I was kind of making fun of the other guys Looks, money, status comment.
    Those things obviously help but an ass with them is still an ass.
    Personally I think the traits a woman finds most attractive in a man are confidence, humor and social status. Looks help of course, but unless you're a total freak I don't think it matters as much as people think.

Money is a proxy for status AND confidence.
    Money brings status, status makes money easier to aquire. If you're confident and have something to show for it (eg wealth, a following of groupies, a centre for abandoned donkeys) then your confidence is justified... if not... well, maybe your confidence is a front.
    And unapologetic masculinity. Sensitive new age manginas don't tend do that well.

Eh? I'll tell you women are not thrilled by my unapologetic beard... hmmm actually the giant one I had last year did seem to draw some attention but...
    Wait? Mangina? ...
    You're pulling my leg right?
    What kind of person uses that word to describe another person?
    The only time I'd use it would be to describe that scene in Silence of the Lambs...

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

I have Converse and I look deadly wearing them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have found it depends entirely on the man in question. A mate of mine, of the same age, wears Converse from time to time and he can work it. If I wore them I'd look like the middle aged man with a dyed combover and Porsche Boxster trying to hard. I know my limitations godammit. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I draw the line at shoes with velcro fastenings.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Converse are runners/trainers, moreso than shoes, Shirley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

strobe wrote: »
    Converse are runners/trainers, moreso than shoes, Shirley?
    Classed more as skate shoes than anything else. Runners or trainers to me mean proper stuff you would go running in/go to the gym with (although, Cons are pretty good for some heavier weightlifting stuff due to their sturdy base).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Arbitrary Constants

kiffer wrote: »
    Bragging is fairly unappealing no matter what it's about... no?
    Broke ass musicians have status, and passion, and fill a specific niche... also I was kind of making fun of the other guys Looks, money, status comment.
    Those things obviously help but an ass with them is still an ass.

Money is a proxy for status AND confidence.
    Money brings status, status makes money easier to aquire. If you're confident and have something to show for it (eg wealth, a following of groupies, a centre for abandoned donkeys) then your confidence is justified... if not... well, maybe your confidence is a front.

Eh? I'll tell you women are not thrilled by my unapologetic beard... hmmm actually the giant one I had last year did seem to draw some attention but...
    Wait? Mangina? ...
    You're pulling my leg right?
    What kind of person uses that word to describe another person?
    The only time I'd use it would be to describe that scene in Silence of the Lambs...

You don't need a reason to justify confidence. Anyone can be confident, all it is is being free of anxiety and being able to express yourself in a carefree manner. You don't need looks, money or status to be confident.

• Advertisement
Advertisement