Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Move Over Rory Delap, Megan Campbell Is Here

• 09-04-2014 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭

:cool:

Ireland almost took a historic point from Germany, the 2nd ranked team in the world, last Saturday and Megan Campbell's throw ins are a huge reason for it.

I'd love to know how many assists she has direct from throw ins.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just on the game. Apparently the Ref was awful on Saturday. Not sure what happened, but apparently Ireland deserved a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I won tickets to the game but couldn't go :(

Byrne was claiming she was fouled in the lead up to their second goal I think. Byrne was booked in the first few minutes of the game for time wasting and she felt the referee was on her back from therein.

It would no doubt have been the biggest scalp the Irish women would have ever taken.

Still must be encouraging to not be too far off likes of Germany.

I mean 10+ years ago Germany would have won this by half time.

Hugely encouraging. It's not really a once off either as the girls have performed consistently against higher ranked teams over the past 12 months.

Ireland started the Cyprus Cup ranked 33rd and finished ranked 30th.
    We drew with New Zealand (who were 16th and now 20th in the world), South Korea (were 17th now 18th) and defeated Switzerland (22nd) and then finally lost to Canada (7th) late in the game.

In their World Cup group they've won two (beaten Slovakia and Slovenia who are both ranked lower), drawn with Croatia (by all accounts a poor result as they are ranked much lower) and narrowly lost to the Germans.

Have they any hope of qualifying now? I presume not if drawing and not winning.

• Advertisement

They do. They're still in with a shout for 2nd which would result in automatic qualification AFAIK.

They've only drawn one. They should beat Slovenia and Slovakia again and if they could beat Croatia this time then they are in with a huge chance.

EDIT: 2nd will result in a play off for qualification so it's still quite a task ahead of the girls.

U19 qualifying tonight can only be more good news to the womens game here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The same core group of players who lost the European Final to Spain on penalties at U17 level. They're a great bunch to have coming through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

How exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

The Irish do love a good owl long ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

Pitch aint same size?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Good fundamentals.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    How exactly?

Interest etc. Better to have team doing well isnt it? Or does it not matter???????:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

**** me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Mars Bar wrote: »

Byrne was claiming she was fouled in the lead up to their second goal I think. Byrne was booked in the first few minutes of the game for time wasting and she felt the referee was on her back from therein.

Nah, Byrne got booked in the second half for time wasting, bout 70min Im guessing...
    She was fouled for the second German goal alright, so frustrating. And I was shocked Byrne didnt get booked for her protests, she was going nuts ha.

The power in Campbells throws are unbelievable. Anytime Ireland got a throw in, in the german half, Germany had ten women in their box defending. And once she fooled everyone by taking a normal throw in, to a player close to her.

Fudge You wrote: »
    Nah, Byrne got booked in the second half for time wasting, bout 70min Im guessing...
    She was fouled for the second German goal alright, so frustrating. And I was shocked Byrne didnt get booked for her protests, she was going nuts ha.

The power in Campbells throws are unbelievable. Anytime Ireland got a throw in, in the german half, Germany had ten women in their box defending. And once she fooled everyone by taking a normal throw in, to a player close to her.

Oh I thought she said in her interview that she was booked early but I must have read that wrong

Interest etc. Better to have team doing well isnt it? Or does it not matter???????:confused:

It helps that our women's teams from underage up 90% homegrown and a lot of players are playing in the Women's National League.
    For example, Maeve De Burca is currently coaching young girls at Salthill Devon, we can get her in to take a coaching session with our district league teams also and the young girls are delighted to meet an Ireland international who has played professionally. They may get to watch her on Eurosport next year if they make it to the World Cup!

We'll have the district league girls lining out with the Galway WFC and Peamount United on Sunday as mascots and already they want to be the one who lines out with Stephanie Roche!

It helps keep the interest at underage up.

I don't know why dreamers thinks it wouldn't help!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

It can be such a dangerous weapon. A lot of defences just don't know how to deal with it.

I never understood why Delap wasn't included in Ireland squads purely on the basis of his throw. Imagine you need a goal with 5 minutes left. For me it's completely logical to get Delap on and ask an awkward question of the defence.

You can see the problems these type of long throws cause in the video. It's a phenomenal effort for the girl to throw the ball that far and that flat and you can see how dangerous it is.

The purists won't like it but if it gets you goals you can't complain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

barone wrote: »
    Pitch aint same size?

I'm sure you're taking the mick, but pitches are the same size

• Advertisement
Advertisement