Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OW Swimming meet-ups 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

another one for you, quite useful
    http://waterlevel.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smcgui

8.9 degrees... still a little chilly for me!:eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

*Might* try Killiney over Easter. We've had a 'warm' winter so may be a bit warmer earlier this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Gonna try for Seapoint tomorrow morning. Tides look good for an early morning one:

https://www.sailing.ie/en-gb/racing/tides.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NingNangNong

I've been swimming at blackrock (galway) for the last two weeks.... its really not as cold as you think:p

up to 2k in wetsuit, up to 700/800m in togs, though I'll admit it is a bit extreme in togs:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If anyone want a dip at Rosslare over the coming weeks give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Was talking to a clubmate on Monday. He did 2k in Salthill last week in a wetsuit. Water is lovly by all accounts :eek: He also went for a 500m swim in togs on Sunday after the Connemarathon. Left it at 500 on Sunday in case he cramped after the marathon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

pgibbo wrote: »
    Was talking to a clubmate on Monday. He did 2k in Salthill last week in a wetsuit. Water is lovly by all accounts :eek: He also went for a 500m swim in togs on Sunday after the Connemarathon. Left it at 500 on Sunday in case he cramped after the marathon :pac:
    I've been swimming at blackrock (galway) for the last two weeks.... its really not as cold as you think:p

up to 2k in wetsuit, up to 700/800m in togs, though I'll admit it is a bit extreme in togs:eek:

Proof if proof needed that they're just all soft over in the east :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭martin6651

Swim all year in togs only in Blackrock. Have been doing 1.2k for the last 2 months. Did my first 2k last Saturday conditions were ideal so I went for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

martin6651 wrote: »
    Swim all year in togs only in Blackrock. Have been doing 1.2k for the last 2 months. Did my first 2k last Saturday conditions were ideal so I went for it.

Would there be much temp difference between lake and sea? Planning my first dip this weekend. Was thing Loughrea lake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

BTH wrote: »
    Proof if proof needed that they're just all soft over in the east :)

3 words for you ... North Atlantic Drift

but you're probably right ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Would there be much temp difference between lake and sea? Planning my first dip this weekend. Was thing Loughrea lake

I was wondering the same thing. A friend is looking to start swimming in Loughrea soon also and he was wondering what the temp would be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭DonalB

Swimming is open on the Copper Coast year round. Water temps usually hit 10C by the end of April. You guys regularly post my blog, so I figure I owe a few of you a swim!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

On the off chance that anyone's in London - Hampstead Heath ponds, Stoke Newington west reservoir etc... gimme a shout.

Water is around 11c at the moment, not too bad :)

Fresh water is usually colder than salt water

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭DonalB

Fresh water is usually colder than salt water

I don't understand that assertion and I always like to be extremely careful and as accurate as possible when discussing cold water swimming, so people don't make an already dangerous pursuit more so.

Fresh water freezes at a higher temperature than salt water, because well, salt.

However fresh water at the same temperature as salt, feels colder. But salt water at 3.3 deg. C is the same temperature as salt water at 3.3 C.

That said, in Ireland during winter, fresh water rivers and lakes will get colder that the sea because there aren't currents transporting heat and the volume is so much smaller that heat is lost more quickly. Similarly during the summer, fresh water is warmer for the same volume reason and because heat from the sum can warm lakes and rivers quickly. In both volume and area terms though, obviously salt water is greater.

Ireland has currently, I think, 15 official Ice Milers ( 1 mile, no wetsuit, 5.0 deg C or less), out of ~100 worldwide. As far as I know, all but one of us did our Ice Mile swims in fresh water lakes because the coastal sea of the west, south and east coast rarely gets below about 5.5 C, more usually 6C.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SlowMe

I find that recent rainfall has a significant impact on how cold it feels to swim in lakes, much more so than the sea. I don't really know what the actual temps are when swimming though. Without straying too far off topic can what do people use to reliably measure water temp??

My reasoning for my statement is when we have a lot of rain the flood gates are opened on Lough Corrib and the fresh water remains on the surface of the sea. This then tends to to bring the temp. down on the surface and having swam in both the Corrib and the sea I have felt the temp. difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭loudeac

Broke my duck yesterday in Bray, cold at first but managed 1km a bit of a shock from the pool with the wave's etc . Hope to get in again tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

Been in a few times in seapoint this year. Still not consistent enough to get used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

Want to start getting in soon also. First (main) race is OW, albeit lake, 25th May.
    Could get a group together for a Killiney Swim Easter Monday? Wetsuits only of course.... what do ye think

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

this is crazy talk. Anyone on the east coast going open water swimming this month is a bit nuts.

You would be better off practicing sighting in the pool surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Nows the perfect time to get back in the water. You've only got 1 month now before tri season starts bopperr!

Not crazy over here anyway particularly with a relatively mild spring, OW races and tris starting on the May bank holiday weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I was in for 15 mins today at Courttown- very painful at first, but you get used to it pretty quickly. It felt great to be swimming in the open again!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

pgibbo wrote: »
    I was wondering the same thing. A friend is looking to start swimming in Loughrea soon also and he was wondering what the temp would be like.

First outing of season in Loughrea lake. Wasn't bad at all. Feet cold at first but once moving it was nice. Not a ripple on it

Dip in the sea yesterday evening at Llandudno - we're away for a few days for Easter. Great to get a quick dip in at this time of year! Water was around 10c, fine in a wetsuit, a bit too cold for togs for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Back on the sea tomorow. Wild Atlantic northwest. Just gotta see if it's swimming it surfing. Knee doesn't feel up to the surf though so I think I know which one it will be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Got about 20 - 25 minutes in the sea today. It was lovely. Really wasn't all that cold. Feet could feel the cold when we stopped to tread water but it was fine really. Would happily get in again tomorrow (read that as, would LOVE to get back in tomorrow)

Forget how much I love swimming OW until I'm actually out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

Likewise, got out in Killiney. Was fab! Only the feet a bit cold otherwise perfect. Long brick Saturday & today so the cold salty water was the perfect recovery for the legs :-)

Advertisement