Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OW Swimming meet-ups 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭coppinger

Did 15mins yesterday at the bull wall, first time using the 310xt in the swimming cap, seemed to work well - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/484561406
    Face got very cold though, anyone any advice with regards to vaseline or the like to keep my face warm??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Just back from my first ever open water wetsuit dip in Killiney (or anywhere for that matter). Surprised at how well my feet and hands coped. Would be stretching the bounds a bit to say I was swimming though. Sea a little rough so stuck to close to shore. Sea temp an alleged 9.4C but loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Anyone doing any early am (on the way to work) swims along the east coast (Arklow to Seapoint)? I'm new to sea swimming so could use the safety of someone else being around. You carry on with what you're doing and cast the odd eye over to see if I'm still afloat :) Lunch-time in Dublin (Seapoint to Killiney) is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Did 500m at Stoke Newington last weekend at the end of their required open water induction, water 13c. Bit of a shock to the system but was ok after acclimatising a bit! Completely forgot just how much it takes out of you to try and keep warm, ended up hitting the golden arches hard for breakfast on the way home...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Just an update on water quality for anyone swimming in Galway especially.
    Two Galway beaches are among just three coastal bathing areas nationally that have failed to meet EU standards in relation to water quality.

Ballyloughane Beach, Renmore and Clifden Beach join Dugort, Achill, Co. Mayo and the inland Lilliput Beach at Lough Ennell, Co. Westmeath as the four bathing areas rated ‘poor’ in the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) ‘The Quality of Bathing Water in Ireland – An Overview for the Year 2013’ report, launched today.

Assessors monitored bathing water at 135 popular sites throughout the 2013 bathing season for two microbiological parameters, E.Coli and Intestinal Enterococci. Just three per cent achieved a ‘poor’ rating, with the remaining 97 per cent achieving ‘sufficient’ or ‘good’ status.

from here http://galwayindependent.com/20140501/news/poor-rating-for-galway-beaches-S37160.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

would appear the midwest contingent are finally hitting the OW over the long weekend. MCOS will be able to swim fast enough to stay warm based on his latest report, the rest of us, well it's been a pleasure folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Anyone swim in and around Malahide? I moved to Swords recently and I don't know the northside at all. Went for a walk in Malahide during the week and thought I found a good spot to swim, dunno what way the currents are though. Along sea road and the Haven, I highlighted it in red on this map.

swim_zpsb455cff9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Havent been in yet which means its latest year in 5/6 that ive been in OW. Will do couple hundred mtr in Lough Derg this weekend though..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Anyone swim in and around Malahide? I moved to Swords recently and I don't know the northside at all. Went for a walk in Malahide during the week and thought I found a good spot to swim, dunno what way the currents are though. Along sea road and the Haven, I highlighted it in red on this map.

That's Malahide estuary, wouldn't be considered the cleanest place in the world. I know the sailing club use it and windsurfers but never seen people actually swim in it. Would be fairly open too so any type of wind would make it difficult. Not too far from Malahide on the Portmarnock road is High rock, usually a good few people swimming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

AKW wrote: »
    Just an update on water quality for anyone swimming in Galway especially.

from here http://galwayindependent.com/20140501/news/poor-rating-for-galway-beaches-S37160.html

Ballyloughane has always been regarded as dirty. Has a notorious name around Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

pgibbo wrote: »
    Ballyloughane has always been regarded as dirty. Has a notorious name around Galway

Forget Renmore, you still on for salthill on Monday. You joining us AKW/CW? I've told Bambatta to bring his wetsuit down for the weekend so you don't want to leave him disappointed :)

Swim?!! Are you cracked? My training is a swim free zone this year for a reason.

11480.jpeg

And you going a half ironman in three weeks? HTFU. In fact, with your recent lack of training you won't even need a wetsuit.

BTH wrote: »
    And you going a half ironman in three weeks? HTFU. In fact, with your recent lack of training you won't even need a wetsuit.

he has a backup plan

0.jpg

Which one does he intend on being. I wouldn't like to try carrying him. :)

he aint no hoff.

mossym wrote: »
    he aint no hoff.

Either way, I hope his tri suit is less revealing :D

I'd report this only we'd be going around in circles. :)

I'm ready for the Gauntlet. No amount of swimming will make a blind big of difference to me. In fact, I'm hoping it will be non-wetsuit just so I gain the advantage :p

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

joey100 wrote: »
    That's Malahide estuary, wouldn't be considered the cleanest place in the world. I know the sailing club use it and windsurfers but never seen people actually swim in it. Would be fairly open too so any type of wind would make it difficult. Not too far from Malahide on the Portmarnock road is High rock, usually a good few people swimming here.

+1 for High Rock and for manky estuary (used to be anyway). I've been swimming at High Rock every Sunday all year round at midday with a group of mainly Eastern Bay swim clubbers (including a couple of ice miler's). They are very friendly (I am not in the club) and are of all abilities and none - though they nearly all swim in togs only. I think by now I have earned the right to wear my wetsuit 'for training purposes' at least until it gets cold again.
    If the sea is rough (easterly wind) then we go to low rock and Low Rock is used by lots of people at weekends.

Low Rock is just outside Malahide on the coast road to Portmarnock. High Rock is about 800mtrs further on - you can see a walkway to a ladder into the sea from the road.

If you swim at High Rock with the tide going out, swim towards Low Rock and back with the tide. If it is coming in swim towards Portmarnock (the Martello tower is allegedly about 750mtrs away so a good ~1500mtr swim there and back). Having said that some days it doesnt seem to behave as predicted but as you'll be swimming parrallel to shore there are spots to bail out at.

Velvet Strand further on in Portmarnock is good too with a bit of shelter at the Martello end, I saw the Dubs team having a post match dip there on Monday evening, though I am not sure anyone actually 'got down'.

Bull Wall in Clontarf is always popular, up to 3 hrs either side of high tide I think.

Balscadden in Howth is lovely though quieter and can get a bit fouled with jellies and randy seals in Summer.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

One of the go to riding places in the car for the East side of the city - we were blessed to have Silverstrand out our way :cool:
    Forget Renmore, you still on for salthill on Monday. You joining us AKW/CW? I've told Bambatta to bring his wetsuit down for the weekend so you don't want to leave him disappointed :)

What time are you going out at, I might attempt a token effort out to the first buoy and back if I am around

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »

What time are you going out at, I might attempt a token effort out to the first buoy and back if I am around

Waiting on Gibbo to set a time. In the meantime you can fill me in on the other "riding places".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Few of us meeting up at worlds end castleconnel Monday evening at 6 if anyone is interested

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Waiting on Gibbo to set a time. In the meantime you can fill me in on the other "riding places".

I should be good for this

Bambaata wrote: »
    I should be good for this

The riding places?? :eek:

BTH, bambaata, pgibbo. Suffice to say that won't be a slow leisurely swim..:)

It's alright, I'll bring balance to the equation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'm nowhere near the level the lads are at. Them laughing at me screaming when I hit the cold water will slow them down though ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm nowhere near the level the lads are at. Them laughing at me screaming when I hit the cold water will slow them down though ;)
    Proof if proof needed that they're just all soft over in the east :)

Just to point out. Some of us over in the east have been in the water at least once already. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Felt a bit colder today than last time. Plan to get in again tomorrow and hopefully Tuesday. Hopefully. Loving it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Worlds End Castleconnel is nice for a quick dip. Another 0.5deg next week, even better. Plan to swim about 2k next Monday at about 6

Advertisement