Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OW Swimming meet-ups 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭coppinger

Swam in Lough Cutra sunday, felt much warmer (enjoyable) than the irish sea a week earlier (painful).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Shannon was quite nice this evening for my first ow of the year. feet took a while to warm up later, but never had any real brain freeze and was enjoying it from 5 mins in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

13.2 degrees it was, warmer than the air temp.. balmy :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

13.2 degrees it was, warmer than the air temp.. balmy :)

Mine was closer to ten, if the tracking websites are any way accurate. Balmy it was not. But one girl who went in without a wetsuit said it was 'grand'. Open water swimmers are a breed apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Was in 40ft last Sunday . Not bad, the usual hard at first but went around few buoys and stayed in for 25 mins. Skins all the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Stoke Newington again last weekend - bit more comfortable than last time, water now in the 14-15c range. Did 3 laps of the marked course for a total of around 1300m, would have done another but we were booted out of the reservoir at 9:30am for a group of canoeing children.

Full summer hours in the Hampstead Heath ponds now too and 20c+ forecasts through from tomorrow to the weekend, tempted to end my long run on Thursday with a sneaky (non-wetsuit) dip :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Stoke Newington again last weekend - bit more comfortable than last time, water now in the 14-15c range. Did 3 laps of the marked course for a total of around 1300m, would have done another but we were booted out of the reservoir at 9:30am for a group of canoeing children.

Full summer hours in the Hampstead Heath ponds now too and 20c+ forecasts through from tomorrow to the weekend, tempted to end my long run on Thursday with a sneaky (non-wetsuit) dip :)

Can I move in with you guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Anyone swimming tomorrow around Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Its worth reposting this here I think, for anyone who fancies entering some of the SwimIreland OW races...
    Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Those bright boys and girls from 3D Tri Club, have started up a Swim Ireland affiliated club, 3D Masters Swimming Club. It's open to anyone who is competent with OW swimming, not just 3D Tri members, so I joined 'em as quick as I could. This means the whole of the OW Swim Calendar is now open to me, in all of its frozen non-wetsuited glory. Lough Dan 5k (maybe 10k) and the Liffey Swim are bucket list races.

Anyone else from these parts who wants Swim Ireland membership, could do worse than join this 3D Masters club too (€49 for non-3D Tri members), there will be lots of OW training around the Dublin area.

Anyone swimming Dublin area tomorrow or Thursday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I'm possibly going to the forty foot on Thursday eve, but I'll be getting a decent run in first so it'll likely be 8:30-9 before I get there. It'll also me my first dip so I'll not be in long.

Let me know if you are. I should be good for that time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I'd be around the Dolymount area before 12.00 on thursday Bambaata if that suited.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Its worth reposting this here I think, for anyone who fancies entering some of the SwimIreland OW races...

For those in Galway: GTC have a crossover with Galway Bay Masters, Predator with Dolphin Masters I believe and Tri-Lakes with Tuam Masters. The swim league in Blackrock should be starting soon also for those looking for OW events in Galway. SI membership is required for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

BTH wrote: »
    I'm possibly going to the forty foot on Thursday eve, but I'll be getting a decent run in first so it'll likely be 8:30-9 before I get there. It'll also me my first dip so I'll not be in long.

Are you definitely in Dublin Thursday? I'd be on for a sea swim and I also happen to have a run pencilled in that evening. 14k @ 4.30-5.00 pace, is that anything like the decent run you have planned? Could meet up if it does?
    Bambaata wrote: »
    Let me know if you are. I should be good for that time

If you're still on for that time, I'd be happy to take the plunge regardless of what BTH is up to. But like our friendly mod it'll be my first dip too, so I'll probably not be in for long either.

zico10 wrote: »
    Are you definitely in Dublin Thursday? I'd be on for a sea swim and I also happen to have a run pencilled in that evening. 14k @ 4.30-5.00 pace, is that anything like the decent run you have planned? Could meet up if it does?

If you're still on for that time, I'd be happy to take the plunge regardless of what BTH is up to. But like our friendly mod it'll be my first dip too, so I'll probably not be in for long either.

Planning about 80min run in Marley ~6pm, 40min easy so about 4:45-50 pace, then 30min fartlek, so you're welcome to join me for some or all of that. Intend on swimmin after, really need to get my finger out RE OW swimming. I've usually about 5 swims done at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Planning about 80min run in Marley ~6pm, 40min easy so about 4:45-50 pace, then 30min fartlek, so you're welcome to join me for some or all of that. Intend on swimmin after, really need to get my finger out RE OW swimming. I've usually about 5 swims done at this stage.

May jump into Marlay run lads... 6pm sounds good!

zico10 wrote: »

Cool. I'll check how you're fixed tomorrow and see what suits. Short dip sounds good to me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I'll see you at 6 then. We can start off together and I'll let you tear off after 40 minutes. We should be finishing up around the same time, so can head to The Forty Foot from there.
    Fazz wrote: »
    May jump into Marlay run lads... 6pm sounds good!

No problem, it'll just be nice and easy for me though. You should bring your wetsuit as well for the bath afterwards.
    Bambaata wrote: »
    Cool. I'll check how you're fixed tomorrow and see what suits. Short dip sounds good to me too.

Likely to be 8.30-9.00 as BTH said. Hope that suits.

80min run at 6pm. Realistically we'll hit the forty foot shortly after 8 so let's say in the water for 8:30.

• Advertisement

Sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Intend on swimmin after, really need to get my finger out RE OW swimming. I've usually about 5 swims done at this stage.

You've gone soft since you moved whest :pac:

pgibbo wrote: »
    You've gone soft since you moved whest :pac:

How often have you been in the OW this year??

Anyway, twas you and CW that bottled it the bank holiday weekend. :)

OW swim this weekend lads at Sandycove harbour...men's 2pm start.

Anyone fancy a few laps of Wicklow Harbour this evening?

Anyone fancy a few laps of Wicklow Harbour this evening?

Didn't go there in the end- I heard they were doing dredging works in Wicklow Harbour and its very murky down there at the moment. Anyone been there recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Didn't go there in the end- I heard they were doing dredging works in Wicklow Harbour and its very murky down there at the moment. Anyone been there recently?

Hoping to get in there for the first time this week, a bit later than most years
    I'll swing by there this evening before my pool swim and report back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Abhainn wrote: »
    Hoping to get in there for the first time this week, a bit later than most years

I'd be interested in how it looks. Still haven't gotten in this year as yet.

Well temps are better than last year lads. Well for skins it is...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Abhainn wrote: »

Checked last night.
    Dredging still in place at point where river enters harbour
    Tide was out, waters were calm and water looked fine.

Forecast for easterly winds later in week, not sure if that will have impact

Advertisement