Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would Council buy private rented house and rent back to tenant

Options
  • 09-04-2014 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm sure I read somewhere that if your in receipt of rent allowance for a period of time that the council may buy the house that your currently living in and then rent it back to you as a council house.

I know of someone who had this done for them years ago but cant find any info on it now, was I dreaming or is this possible.

If not What would be the longest period that the council would give a RAS contract for?

Thanks in advance

Omega

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Never heard of it and can't see where they would get the money to do this. The LL also has to agree to sell. If it did exist RAS would have been its replacement and is for 10 years at a go again if the LL agrees to it. With RAS the property also has to match a set criteria.

RAS is not a good deal for your average LL as it is a reduced rent. Not sure how it deals with rent inflation either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

omega42 wrote: »
    If not What would be the longest period that the council would give a RAS contract for?

10 years.

I have no idea of your other question- though I would imagine in our current cash straightened times- its a non-runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

Another question so

I have been in receipt of rent allowance for past 12 months, if I move to a different property in a different county would I have to start from month 1 or would I carry over the time receiving rent allowance on previous property?

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

omega42 wrote: »
    Another question so

I have been in receipt of rent allowance for past 12 months, if I move to a different property in a different county would I have to start from month 1 or would I carry over the time receiving rent allowance on previous property?

Thanks

Rather unfortunately- it is my understanding that you have to reapply from the start.........

Advertisement