Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Identify a horror story please.

• 09-04-2014 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I'm stuck on a story and wasn't sure whether ot post here or creative writing for help.

I read a series of short horror stories many years ago and for some reason a particular story sticks in my mind. For the life of me I am struggling to find it or identify it, I can't even think of the author. I'm wondering did I read it or have I the bones of a decent story in my head?

The sense I get of the story is that it is either Poe or Arthur Clarke that wrote it or at least the sense that it would be attributed to their kind of writing.

It was about a tooth abscess that was ignored and got out of hand. An agressive little bugger that wouldn't let go and burrowed deeper into the guys jaw as the dentist worked on it.

Anyone any ideas or am I just dreaming?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Sit down quite room and lit some sage insence.

Take your pen and paper and just start writing....and stop giving away all your ideas on a online site.

Write it and you never know where it might lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Does sound a bit Poe-ish. Haven't read anywhere near all his stories, but haven't encountered anything with the plot you described. Could be an interesting one to write assuming it isn't an existing story. Great way to tap into people's fears of having a drill in their mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Really starting to get under my skin now as I can place the idea or concept for the story at a time when I was reading a short story collection that had "The Pit & the Pendulum" in it. Also a story about a man being tracked through the wilderness by an unrelenting mechanical sphere. Some HP Lovecraft in there too.

The recollection and placing of the story has me believing I read it and another part of me is hoping my subconscious is trying to push an idea up for me to write. Of course, these story memories are from 25/30 years ago so anything is possible.

Yeah, can understand that. It's almost starting to get to me too : )

Have read majority of Lovecraft's stories, and it's definitely none I've encountered. Strikes as being less his style of story than Poe's too.

• Advertisement

I'm hoping my mother has a trunk in the attic with some of my old books in there. I reckon the library is the next stop for me.

bluewolf wrote: »

Hmm, that is very interesting.

Definitely onto something with that one. This is older, much older and there were no Japanese in the story but you're jogging the memory banks with that thanks.

Haven't read, but maybe this is it:

http://poestories.com/read/berenice

Haven't read, but maybe this is it:

http://poestories.com/read/berenice

Not the one. Honestly I struggled with that story. A quick scan through there has me asking is it about a guy jealous of his cousin's vampire teeth? Or a guy struggling with being a vampire and removing his teeth to prevent an attack on his cousin? Vegetarian vampire?

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

I still say

dark room and a candle lit and sage smell in the room a pen and just start writing andit will all come to you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It's not Kafka by any chance?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Miss.Mayhem

I remember reading something similar to that when I was a kid. I think it was one of the Goosebump books.

Advertisement