Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any funding for new start-up?

Options
  • 09-04-2014 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

I'm going to set up a small carpentry business, I'm a qualified capenter from a few years back, left Ireland to do other work, got back a year ago, have been unemployed since, so I thought I'd try and do something to get off the dole.

Only problem is I would need a small bit of financial assistance to ge started.

Enterprise Ireland said they wouldn't give me a grant, so does anyone know of any other funding-body who might give me assistance?

I'm going to set up as a Sole Trader so I assume this is easy enough to do? Also, with me hopefully working for myself, I'll have to do my own tax returns, is this easy?

Basically if I don't get some sort of funding I won't be able to start. It's kind of frustrating when enterprise Ireland say they fund business start-ups but yet they won't help me out.

Any help/advice from anyone in-the-know would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

You could enquire from the Dept of Social Protection regarding Back to Work Allowance or Short term Enterprise allowance.

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

Hogan24 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm going to set up a small carpentry business, I'm a qualified capenter from a few years back, left Ireland to do other work, got back a year ago, have been unemployed since, so I thought I'd try and do something to get off the dole.

Only problem is I would need a small bit of financial assistance to ge started.

Enterprise Ireland said they wouldn't give me a grant, so does anyone know of any other funding-body who might give me assistance?

I'm going to set up as a Sole Trader so I assume this is easy enough to do? Also, with me hopefully working for myself, I'll have to do my own tax returns, is this easy?

Basically if I don't get some sort of funding I won't be able to start. It's kind of frustrating when enterprise Ireland say they fund business start-ups but yet they won't help me out.

Any help/advice from anyone in-the-know would be great, thanks.

No offence but why should they give you a grant ?
    What are you offering different that will show you are a viable business investment ?
    How many jobs will you generate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hogan24

ifah wrote: »
    No offence but why should they give you a grant ?
    What are you offering different that will show you are a viable business investment ?
    How many jobs will you generate ?

No offense taken, but isn't the whole point of Enterprise Ireland to assist with start-ups? As for generating jobs, that's down the road, can't predict that, but hopefully after a while once I get busy I can hire someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'd say the back to work social thing is your best bet..

The first thing other funding streams will look at is "are you going to compete with existing business already out there" Obviously as a carpenter the answer is yes..
    So they cannot fund you to set up cheaply and then be able to undercut existing business and put them under.. That's spending public money to put you into business and someone else out of business.

bbam wrote: »
    I'd say the back to work social thing is your best bet..

The first thing other funding streams will look at is "are you going to compete with existing business already out there" Obviously as a carpenter the answer is yes..
    So they cannot fund you to set up cheaply and then be able to undercut existing business and put them under.. That's spending public money to put you into business and someone else out of business.

Thanks for that. That's fair enough I suppose. I just assumed there was funding for all start-ups nowadays, coz anyone I ever talk to who has set up their own business said they received some sort of funding, so I guess I just wanted to see if I had any options. Nothing ventured, nothing gained senario.. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Thanks for that. That's fair enough I suppose. I just assumed there was funding for all start-ups nowadays, coz anyone I ever talk to who has set up their own business said they received some sort of funding, so I guess I just wanted to see if I had any options. Nothing ventured, nothing gained senario.. Cheers

After me saying all that...
    Don't just not look for it..

You should make calls and apply anyway. There are a myriad of schemes and someone you talk to may have a good suggestion for you.

bbam wrote: »
    After me saying all that...
    Don't just not look for it..

You should make calls and apply anyway. There are a myriad of schemes and someone you talk to may have a good suggestion for you.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭andy t

maybe give citizens information a shout & see what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

No offense taken, but isn't the whole point of Enterprise Ireland to assist with start-ups? As for generating jobs, that's down the road, can't predict that, but hopefully after a while once I get busy I can hire someone.

Enterprise Ireland may not be the best source for you but I would advise you try to differentiate yourself from all the other out of work carpenters. Grab a niche and make it work. Look at the under stairs storage company as an example (can't remember their name).

Advertisement