Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 7), April 11-13, 2014

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Absolutely dire stuff at Dalymount between Bohs and Limerick. Both teams were utterly terrible, particularly Limerick who in no way deserved a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Oh yeah! The Entertainers from Dundalk storm to the top of the league with a 4-1 demolition of UCD. Dundalk's games are so good too watch. Another memorable season is on the cards. Good to see Hoban grab a couple. He needed them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City were poor enough tonight Healy not able to play was bad enough- a big loss , dennehy picked up some injury before the game which stopped him starting and then buckley needed stretchering off in the 3rd min when Sligo keeper blew him away- sometimes a pen and a red - tonight nothing. They got what looked like an og in the 89 min. But a own gave us a very nice point in the end. Another 4000 crowd down the X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Mc Phail broke Bolgers jaw and gets to stay on, madden flattens Fagan and no peno.

Byrne wins the ball and gets sent off and we get a peno.

Cracking game could have went either way even with them still having 10. best team we have played this season by a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Mars Bar wrote: »
    By the sounds of it, Galway were the most threatening of the two teams but have gone and conceded a 93rd minute goal to Shels. :mad:

Yep, mirror image of Longford game. Dominate completely but no good in the final third and give away a goal completely against the run of play. Gut wrenching loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

are we ever gonna get a point? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sligo you were robbed.

Was a harsh peno. Sligo were by far the better side. We could have scored couple, but Sligo had 4 great chances to score themselves.

Good and lucky point in the end. This bad start might come back to Sligo cause by far best better then what Shamrock Rovers or Pats played against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The match at Dalymount was pure ****e of the highest order tonight.

We didnt deserve to lose, but it was not pretty to look at. We had no plan B; just lump it up top. Still not sure the point of jayo being on the pitch.

Just pure ****e.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Cracking game could have went either way even with them still having 10. best team we have played this season by a mile.
    Best team by a mile? Really? Suggest you watch last weeks game again on the RTE Player and reassess.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    Best team by a mile? Really? Suggest you watch last weeks game again on the RTE Player and reassess.

Nope, they are a country mile better than you. Just this week we got the "stupid ref decision" that won the game. Which you benifitted greatly from last week but i did say last week i wouldnt moan about the refs.

Rovers best team we have played I was shocked at how un Crolly like they are, but decent team nonetheless.

Cork would be the 2nd best team but i doubt their away from home credentials.

Nope, they are a country mile better than you. Just this week we got the "stupid ref decision" that won the game. Which you benifitted greatly from last week but i did say last week i wouldnt moan about the refs.

Rovers best team we have played I was shocked at how un Crolly like they are, but decent team nonetheless.

Cork would be the 2nd best team but i doubt their away from home credentials.
    Ha ha! Deadly. We played your lot off the park last week regardless of any ref decisions. Made you look pretty ordinary. Dundalk are the best attacking outfit in this league bar none. The speed at which we counter attack is breathtaking. Anyway will get a good look at Rovers this week as we play them twice over the next seven days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Mars Bar wrote: »
    By the sounds of it, Galway were the most threatening of the two teams but have gone and conceded a 93rd minute goal to Shels. :mad:

Fair assessment. Happiness overload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

CSF wrote: »
    Fair assessment. Happiness overload.

Only got updates via Extratime, and they gave out to the ref straight from the start on. The site even broke down in between and from minute 87 no more updates :confused:

Anyway, I hope, we keep the momentum going, we belong into the Premier Division and nowhere else :)

Ha ha! Deadly. We played your lot off the park last week regardless of any ref decisions. Made you look pretty ordinary. Dundalk are the best attacking outfit in this league bar none. The speed at which we counter attack is breathtaking. Anyway will get a good look at Rovers this week as we play them twice over the next seven days.

Pretty sure Sligo said the same thing this time last season......

You be grand, stick on the we are the champions cd now.....you have it in the bag......

You be grand, stick on the we are the champions cd now.....you have it in the bag......
    Who said anything about winning the league? I'm saying we are in great form at the moment and find it hard to believe that Shamrock Rovers were 'miles' better than us giving we mauled your lot last week and left you skulking into the changing rooms with your tails between your legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Most Dundalk fans would be happy with qualifying for Europe with anything else a bonus. We are still behind Rovers, Pats and Sligo in developing the club. Need a few seasons of moderate success and European money to grow

Who said anything about winning the league? I'm saying we are in great form at the moment and find it hard to believe that Shamrock Rovers were 'miles' better than us giving we mauled your lot last week and left you skulking into the changing rooms with your tails between your legs.

yes you are in great form.....just beat someone 4-1 and commenting on last weeks game.....

The 9 players we had left skulked into the dressing rooms because they were well beaten. Sadly not by Dundalk.

I think we will be just fine this season and Rovers will be the greatest threat to whatever position we end out fighting for. Seriously decent team and squad.

I think he is on a windup. Bolger was sent of in the 74th minute and of those 74 minutes Dundalk were well on top for at least 60. I really find it hard to believe that both Rovers and Cork put in a better performance against Pats than Dundalk did even before Bolger was sent off

The 9 players we had left skulked into the dressing rooms because they were well beaten. Sadly not by Dundalk.

The referee easily could have sent off Quigley and Brennen during the 90. He made a few mistakes but Pats benefited from them too

yes you are in great form.....just beat someone 4-1 and commenting on last weeks game.....

I think we will be just fine this season and Rovers will be the greatest threat to whatever position we end out fighting for. Seriously decent team and squad.
    Ten players skulked into the dressing room. Brennan was still on the pitch after the game. I'm guessing you think Dundalk will come fourth giving your comments. Strange underestimation of a team who challenged your lot pretty much to the death last year.

• Advertisement

Ten players skulked into the dressing room. Brennan was still on the pitch after the game. I'm guessing you think Dundalk will come fourth giving your comments. Strange underestimation of a team who challenged your lot pretty much to the death last year.

i think you will be top 2 but other teams I mentioned Cork and Rovers make subs that dont have a detriment to the 11. They either equal or better the 11, something i dont think Dundalk have.

but hey you watch them week in week out.....im sure you would know better on this.

I have to be honest tonight was wake up call for City.

We might push top 3, no way will we win league.

Still short 2-3 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Any reason why Dundalk had only 6 players on the bench? I would have some doubts over their squad depth especially in defence and midfield.

Good win for us tonight. Pity we didnt add one or two more.

Bolger confirmed he had his jaw broken.........was a filthy tackle by mc phail.

i think you will be top 2 but other teams I mentioned Cork and Rovers make subs that dont have a detriment to the 11. They either equal or better the 11, something i dont think Dundalk have.

but hey you watch them week in week out.....im sure you would know better on this.
    Last year that was true this year not.

First 11
    Cherrie, Massey, Boyle Gartland, Rossiter, Shields, O'Donnell, Towell, Horgan,Byrne, Hoban.

Back up- Darren Meenan had a fantastic year for us last year and can't get into the team. John Mountney is struggling to get into the team despite being excellent every time he gets a chance. David McMillan is impressing in his cameo's and is pushing for a starting place. Ruadhri Higgins hasn't shown much yet but it's early days for him. Sava back up for Cherrie is decent too.

Sean Gannon has come in for our first choice right back Rossiter and really played well. Keith Ward is just back from injury as well.

It is only really centre back where we are a bit short but even then Shields can cover.

kksaints wrote: »
    Any reason why Dundalk had only 6 players on the bench? I would have some doubts over their squad depth especially in defence and midfield.
    We had seven on the bench? Very happy with squad this season.

We had seven on the bench? Very happy with squad this season.

It was 6 according to ET but its seven on RTE. Would you not be concerned about your lack of depth to your defence. Especially at CB and LB.

Last year that was true this year not.

Dont watch you so dont know but i think your 1st 11 is quality, another 4 weeks and the squad gets stretched. Then we have the Europe Decision....play to win or play the kids.

We have yet to properly click as a team but we are getting there and i expect us to click soon enough. i dont think you are too far off catching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I have to be honest tonight was wake up call for City.

We might push top 3, no way will we win league.

Still short 2-3 players.

You mean like the 3 strikers we have to get back from injury?

Don't forget we were missing Healy tonight as well and if Buckley had not been taken off so early, it probably would have been a much different game.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

It was 6 according to ET but its seven on RTE. Would you not be concerned about your lack of depth to your defence. Especially at CB and LB.

Gannon, Rossiter Mountany RB
    Shields, Boyle, Gartland, Rossiter, Kelly CB
    Shields, Massey, Rossiter LB

Thats not bad, plus Shields can play RB too

Yes, agree we're a bit short in defence with regards to depth. Relying on good luck re injuries and suspensions. But as I said Shields is a decent back up central defender and I would only be worried if we lost both central defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

I think Pats have the best squad, but their might be a better team from Dundalk or Rovers and possibly even Cork.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Another big game next weekend, Croly is going to need to get a result in a big away fixture. Bohs aside and Pats in the cup, it is not something he has excelled in so far.

justshane wrote: »
    I think Pats have the best squad, but their might be a better team from Dundalk or Rovers and possibly even Cork.

Towell ODonnell and Shields are the best midfield trio in the league, bar Fahey, Towell is streets ahead of anyone he will come up against

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Towell ODonnell and Shields are the best midfield trio in the league, bar Fahey, Towell is streets ahead of anyone he will come up against

So much wrong with this...

Fahey, Bolger and Brennan are a considerably better trio than Towell, O'Donnell and Shields.

Ebbs wrote: »
    So much wrong with this...

care to give your opinion?

farna_boy wrote: »
    You mean like the 3 strikers we have to get back from injury?

Don't forget we were missing Healy tonight as well and if Buckley had not been taken off so early, it probably would have been a much different game.

I heard Rafter may be out for while.

Elding and Morrisery will surely be good to have starting, but O Sullivan cannot be faulted and has done very well on his own as we could imagine.

• Advertisement

Fahey, Bolger and Brennan are a considerably better trio than Towell, O'Donnell and Shields.
    Out of interest how many times have you watched Dundalk in the last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

6 great players hard to pick a weak one. Brennen maybe because he's borderline nuts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Sligo you were robbed.

Was a harsh peno. Sligo were by far the better side. We could have scored couple, but Sligo had 4 great chances to score themselves.

Good and lucky point in the end. This bad start might come back to Sligo cause by far best better then what Shamrock Rovers or Pats played against us.

Harsh Peno? It was a stonewall one. Completely flattened him from behind, absolutely brainless thing to do at any time in the match, never mind last minute. Don't think any Sligo player actually complained about it being given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I heard Rafter may be out for while.

Elding and Morrisery will surely be good to have starting, but O Sullivan cannot be faulted and has done very well on his own as we could imagine.

Really? Someone mentioned that some players will be back in about two weeks, but I'm not sure who they were referring to. I agree about O'Sullivan. He had some great touches and control tonight and should have been put through a few times by Dennehy. Hopefully he can keep his spot or at least challenge for it and there will be a bit of competition for places up front.

A draw was probably a fair result in the end though. City definitely didn't deserve the win, but I don't think they deserved to lose either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Like dreamers said, no use moaning about refs anymore. Next week it'll be somebody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'm in shock, delighted with the result. It's been a long time since bet Drogheda, so its finally done. I think they could get something out of Derry game next week too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Sligo you were robbed.

Thought it was stonewall, to be honest. He was completely bundled over. Stupid challenge to make to a player that was heading away from goal. I thought we should've had at least one penalty, anyway. If not the one in injury time, the one at the start.

Either way, a draw against Sligo is a good result. Beforehand, their fans were being overly pessimistic, saying they'd be hammered. Their bad start has given a false perception. From the reports, it seems as if they've been very unlucky in some of the previous matches, and they should have a few more points on the board. I expect them to push on with a few wins, now. They'll definitely be in contention for Europe.

Out of interest how many times have you watched Dundalk in the last year?

About 8.

Brennan was the best player in the league last year (though it could have been Towell admittedly). Fahey is the best player in the league right now, no question about that for me, Towell probably second.

I've seen O'Donnell play more than Dundalk fans have. I like him as a player, he plays the simple passes well and isn't afraid to put a tackle in. He's not on the same level as Fahey or Brennan though. He's probably more at Chambers' level.

I'd have Bolger over Shields too. So I'm not really sure how it can be said that Dundalk have the best midfield in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

anncoates wrote: »
    Like dreamers said, no use moaning about refs anymore. Next week it'll be somebody else.
    but its so bloody hard! never a red, handbags, altho if he had send of the wexford player who was equally culpable i could have lived with it.
    blatant handball to control the ball 5 seconds before the free that wexford got their goal from too... and then the rest...

About 8.

Brennan was the best player in the league last year (though it could have been Towell admittedly). Fahey is the best player in the league right now, no question about that for me, Towell probably second.

I've seen O'Donnell play more than Dundalk fans have. I like him as a player, he plays the simple passes well and isn't afraid to put a tackle in. He's not on the same level as Fahey or Brennan though. He's probably more at Chambers' level.

I'd have Bolger over Shields too. So I'm not really sure how it can be said that Dundalk have the best midfield in the league.
    You said that the Pats trio was considerably better. Not a chance. Have no problem with someone preferring the Pats trio but to say they are considerably better is almost as daft as dreamers asertion that Rovers were miles better than Dundalk in their game against Pats.

Shields has improved so much over the past year. He has become a firm Dundalk favourite and does a great job of protecting the back four which in turn gives Towell and O'Donnell to an extent license to surge forward. Also you are severely understating O'Donnell's role in the team.

He is twice the player of Chambers. I'm obviously going to be a tad bias but I would be shocked if any neutral who follows this league closely doesn't think that the Dundalk midfield are closely matched with Pats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Bohs are pure poison at the moment. Extremely negative stuff. Patience wearing a bit thin with Heary's bullshít tactics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement