Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 7), April 11-13, 2014

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Pighead wrote: »
    He is twice the player of Chambers. I'm obviously going to be a tad bias but I would be shocked if any neutral who follows this league closely doesn't think that the Dundalk midfield are closely matched with Pats.

Well I have no bias on either side here and do watch the league closely. It's fair enough if you think differently but I do stand by my statement that the Pats trio are comfortably the best in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Well I have no bias on either side here and do watch the league closely. It's fair enough if you think differently but I do stand by my statement that the Pats trio are comfortably the best in the league.
    I have a feeling you are not judging this on current form but rather on last seasons games. I think even the most ardent Pats fan would acknowledge that Fahey has been solid rather than spectacular so far and Brennan hasn't been close to hitting the heights of last season thus far.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Pighead wrote: »
    I have a feeling you are not judging this on current form but rather on last seasons games. I think even the most ardent Pats fan would acknowledge that Fahey has been solid rather than spectacular so far and Brennan hasn't been close to hitting the heights of last season thus far.

Yeah, that'd be fair assertion. I've only seen each team play once thus far this season so my opinion is based primarily on last season. I'd agree on the later point also, Pats in general have started poorly enough this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Bolger didnt break his jaw, just bruising.

Paul Cook was at the game last night, speculate away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Paul Cook was at the game last night, speculate away.
    He knows more than anyone he can improve his squad for a pittance by signing players from here.

Dunno exactly what happened I had the boy so was at home by the time the players left the pitch.

But pats fan said a rovers fan was shouting and garda hit some other rovers fan for no apparent reason. Gards at our matches are a bit special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jesus Wept....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

dreamers75 wrote: »

Dunno exactly what happened I had the boy so was at home by the time the players left the pitch.

But pats fan said a rovers fan was shouting and garda hit some other rovers fan for no apparent reason. Gards at our matches are a bit special.

The garda were very tolerant of the abuse shouted at them.
    I'd have flattened most of them.

If they didn't act like ***** everywhere they go they mightn't be treated like *****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Garda **** at LOI game shocker

These matches are just Baton practice for them

some of the lads in that vid are toe rags but our own Garda could learn a thing or two from the Police across the water on how to actually police a game.

• Advertisement

The garda were very tolerant of the abuse shouted at them.
    I'd have flattened most of them.

What and start a riot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

League of Ireland fans are considered second class citizens to the Gardai, that is beyond any dispute

major bill wrote: »
    What and start a riot?

Yes and teach these **** a lesson.
    Tolerance just encourages these toerags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

AgileMyth wrote: »
    If they didn't act like ***** everywhere they go they mightn't be treated like *****.

Gimp thing to say. I'd never excuse that against any supporter in our league, no matter who they supported.

what makes you think the Gards would have came out the better? Gards appear to have taken the right approach here, An old man was hit (For reasons unknown) and it upset a lot of people (Some of them lads in the vid are well able to handle themselves). An ugly situation just narrowly avoided.

what makes you think the Gards would have came out the better? Gards appear to have taken the right approach here, An old man was hit (For reasons unknown) and it upset a lot of people (Some of them lads in the vid are well able to handle themselves). An ugly situation just narrowly avoided.

I suppose the garda just wandered into the pub then.
    Nothing happened to make them enter.
    Stop defending neanderthals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

This forum will not be seen to be encouraging violence.
    Less of the abusive talk.
    Let's keep some standards here and get back to the football.

I suppose the garda just wandered into the pub then.
    Nothing happened to make them enter.
    Stop defending neanderthals.

Yes there was a reason why they prob went in but it's the aggression of them thats been questioned here, why was an old man pushed/hit leading to a stand off?

anyway the biggest injustice happened on the pitch so happy about that :)

Yes there was a reason why they prob went in but it's the aggression of them thats been questioned here, why was an old man pushed/hit leading to a stand off?

I don't know as I wasn't there. Maybe you mates could tell you.
    It's "fans" like that who keep decent people from attending games.
    Anyway back to the football.

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    Gimp thing to say. I'd never excuse that against any supporter in our league, no matter who they supported.
    Time and again its Shams involved in these altercations. No other club.

I've personally been hit by shards of glass after one of your supporters threw a bottle through the window of a packed pub. The guy beside me got some in his eye.

You have a scumbag problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lads, we have a tough guy. Watch your steps.

CSF wrote: »
    Lads, we have a tough guy. Watch your steps.

Step :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Borussia Dortmund 1:0 up at the Arroganz Arena :D

*changes subject* ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Borussia Dortmund 1:0 up at the Arroganz Arena :D

*changes subject* ;)

Once ye hold on for 23 seconds ya can boast in United thread:P:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Once ye hold on for 23 seconds ya can boast in United thread:P:pac:

No thanks, I don't want to be labelled 'offensive' :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Time and again its Shams involved in these altercations. No other club.

I've personally been hit by shards of glass after one of your supporters threw a bottle through the window of a packed pub. The guy beside me got some in his eye.

You have a scumbag problem.

Mars Bar's post was very clear, get back to the football.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

As much as I dislike Rovers, that video is shocking. Whatever happened beforehand (I Don't know) but the young chap who they pulled out was just standing there and never done a thing.

Hope that old mans ok

st-pats-v-shamrock-rovers-april-2014-20.jpg?w=577

Doesnt really show much other than ball goes backwards which it would if the tackle was successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Mars Bar wrote: »
    By the sounds of it, Galway were the most threatening of the two teams but have gone and conceded a 93rd minute goal to Shels. :mad:

Think that was our one and only clear cut chance of the game! :) About time we managed to score a last minute goal rather than conceding one! Absolutely excellent trip, etc...

What happened to Galways crowd? Over 2,500 at the first game then only 1,000 on Friday in there biggest game to date with 200+ being us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Just back from Tallaght, sh1te would be too kind of a word to describe the Longford performance. Rovers scored in the dying seconds to take all three points.

• Advertisement

Well I never, Sullivan booked for arguing with the referee in 89 minutes, Flynn sent off on 90 minutes, arguing with linesman as he went off and subsequently defence self destructs to give away the winner.

Nostalgia :)

dfx- wrote: »
    Well I never, Sullivan booked for arguing with the referee in 89 minutes, Flynn sent off on 90 minutes, arguing with linesman as he went off and subsequently defence self destructs to give away the winner.

Was Flynn sent off for mouthing to the ref? I managed to miss the incident.

Must've been. He was furious with the linesman about the foul and booking that Sullivan got just beforehand. Possibly sarcastic comment at the referee about giving the foul on Cowan. Didn't see him strike out at anyone, but knowing Flynn...

Overall, it seemed a very angry Longford side, keeper punched the fourth official dugout walking off at halftime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Think that was our one and only clear cut chance of the game! :) About time we managed to score a last minute goal rather than conceding one! Absolutely excellent trip, etc...

What happened to Galways crowd? Over 2,500 at the first game then only 1,000 on Friday in there biggest game to date with 200+ being us.

No idea what's happening.

For me it's a combination of Friday evening traffic from Tuam to Galway, having to be up early on Saturday mornings to get back in to Galway City and being with the Galway women's team on some Sunday's like today. I can't afford that kind of petrol burning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Speaking as a blow in to the city, Galway city is full of bandwagoners for every sport (moreso than other places) so not surprised. Lack of goals also means there is little to win the casual fan over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

deisedude wrote: »
    Speaking as a blow in to the city, Galway city is full of bandwagoners for every sport (moreso than other places) so not surprised. Lack of goals also means there is little to win the casual fan over
    ah i dont think galway is any worse than anywhere else in the country, first game of the year is always going to bring out the crowd, when its the first in a few years there will be a bigger effect. D1 isnt exactly known for its attendances and its generally dogfights to get points with a bit more scope to play ball in the top flight.

more disappointed at the fall of in Athlone's attendance, given we have similarly been in the doldrums for years id taken the returning crowd to them as a nice bit of inspiration. although hopefully not bowing to roddys pressure means they wont be following the Mons/Cobh/(Harps to a lesser extent) line of pain

also fearing a longford backlash next week, (shams B just keep doing us favours :D ) i dunno how cousins has held on so long

overshoot wrote: »
    ah i dont think galway is any worse than anywhere else in the country, first game of the year is always going to bring out the crowd, when its the first in a few years there will be a bigger effect. D1 isnt exactly known for its attendances and its generally dogfights to get points with a bit more scope to play ball in the top flight.

more disappointed at the fall of in Athlone's attendance, given we have similarly been in the doldrums for years id taken the returning crowd to them as a nice bit of inspiration. although hopefully not bowing to roddys pressure means they wont be following the Mons/Cobh/(Harps to a lesser extent) line of pain

It is the same for a lot of clubs. A huge attendance for the 2nd leg play off match vs Bray at the end of last season and then a quarter will return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

It is the same for a lot of clubs. A huge attendance for the 2nd leg play off match vs Bray at the end of last season and then a quarter will return.
    in fairness even when we got bet out the door in 05 i think we averaged 1100, not sure we could do that anymore though having been around the 450 average the last few seasons.

added a bit more there, what do ya think for next week, im not sure whether to expect a longford backlash or another nail in cousins coffin... there must be a lot at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

dfx- wrote: »

So against character! :pac:

Did Rovers B field any first teamers today ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

So against character! :pac:

Did Rovers B field any first teamers today ?

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

You hardly thought we were going to get 2500 at every game did you!?

We've been in and around the 1000 mark over our last few games which is respectable. I believe we would be getting in the region of 1500 if our home performances weren't so inept. Out of four games at home, we have scored in one against a god awful Cobh Ramblers team. You can't expect people to just come out and support you if you don't entertain them and turn in frustrating performance after frustrating performance. We aren't winning and Friday is just another reason for people to say they can't be arsed going to Terryland. We were dominant in periods, especially in the second half and didn't look remotely like scoring. I think we had 11 corners or something to Shels 1, no conviction about us on front of goal whatsoever. Friday is a perfect example of why we won't get promoted this season and why Shels probably will. To be honest, Shels were particularly average, looked very content to hang on for a draw and created little or nothing but defended well. They got one clearcut chance and took it. How many times did the ball bobble around the box for us and nobody just took a chance, we have no poacher. Smashed the ball off the post, at Murray, wide, everywhere but the back of the net. Absolute sickener.

To be honest, I'm slightly surprised we're still attracting crowds of 1000-ish but without a doubt that will take a drop in the coming weeks with our pathetic home form. Regardless we will still have the highest attendances in the Division come the end of the season I'm sure.

CSF wrote: »
    No

Though Purdy would be a decent replacement for SOC...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

deisedude wrote: »

To be fair, I think every county has the bandwagon issue, just have to accept it and embrace it when it happens.

And get used to conceding last minute goals with Tommy in charge, its one of his specialities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

1000ish is very good for the 1st division.

You hardly thought we were going to get 2500 at every game did you!?

We've been in and around the 1000 mark over our last few games which is respectable. I believe we would be getting in the region of 1500 if our home performances weren't so inept. Out of four games at home, we have scored in one against a god awful Cobh Ramblers team. You can't expect people to just come out and support you if you don't entertain them and turn in frustrating performance after frustrating performance. We aren't winning and Friday is just another reason for people to say they can't be arsed going to Terryland. We were dominant in periods, especially in the second half and didn't look remotely like scoring. I think we had 11 corners or something to Shels 1, no conviction about us on front of goal whatsoever. Friday is a perfect example of why we won't get promoted this season and why Shels probably will. To be honest, Shels were particularly average, looked very content to hang on for a draw and created little or nothing but defended well. They got one clearcut chance and took it. How many times did the ball bobble around the box for us and nobody just took a chance, we have no poacher. Smashed the ball off the post, at Murray, wide, everywhere but the back of the net. Absolute sickener.

To be honest, I'm slightly surprised we're still attracting crowds of 1000-ish but without a doubt that will take a drop in the coming weeks with our pathetic home form. Regardless we will still have the highest attendances in the Division come the end of the season I'm sure.

I take it the first game was just a novelty factor?

We have no poacher whatsoever and that's where we may fall down, we've had 8 different scorers in the League so far this season. For such a young side I'm delighted at how we've started, and Galway showed we've overcome the issue of not finishing games out.

Matter of interest, does anyone know any of the stewards there? One of them down our end was loving our celebrations/chanting at the end and was recording us for a good 10 mins, would love to get that uploaded online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

I take it the first game was just a novelty factor?

We have no poacher whatsoever and that's where we may fall down, we've had 8 different scorers in the League so far this season. For such a young side I'm delighted at how we've started, and Galway showed we've overcome the issue of not finishing games out.

Matter of interest, does anyone know any of the stewards there? One of them down our end was loving our celebrations/chanting at the end and was recording us for a good 10 mins, would love to get that uploaded online.
    Exactly Gavin.

If we're in the mix and go on a bit of a run, I feel we'll be hitting the 1500 mark. The simple fact is we have failed to score in three of our first four home games and that isn't good enough with a squad like we have. Dunne isn't getting the best out of them and if you told me after 6 games that we would have the same points total as Rovers B squad I would have assumed they were putting 3 first teamers in their team every week and having a great start to the season.....

I take on board your point about having separate goal scorers, but we had another game (Rovers B at home) that was probably twice as bad as the game against you for missed chances. We are essentially playing a centre back upfront (Walsh). Vinny Faherty isn't remotely fit and Dunne seems frightened to play Manning in any position other than in the hole.

His insistence on playing Paul Sinnott (a centre back) in the middle of the park when Noel Varley was an ever-present for Mervue last year in their best ever season is baffling. He plays strikers as makeshift wingers like Keegan/Molloy/Shanahan, they look totally out of place and give us no penetration from the wide areas and upfront we're a joke. We will not be in the mix for promotion starting Stephen Walsh upfront.

Exactly Gavin.

If we're in the mix and go on a bit of a run, I feel we'll be hitting the 1500 mark. The simple fact is we have failed to score in three of our first four home games and that isn't good enough with a squad like we have. Dunne isn't getting the best out of them and if you told me after 6 games that we would have the same points total as Rovers B squad I would have assumed they were putting 3 first teamers in their team every week and having a great start to the season.....

I take on board your point about having separate goal scorers, but we had another game (Rovers B at home) that was probably twice as bad as the game against you for missed chances. We are essentially playing a centre back upfront (Walsh). Vinny Faherty isn't remotely fit and Dunne seems frightened to play Manning in any position other than in the hole.

His insistence on playing Paul Sinnott (a centre back) in the middle of the park when Noel Varley was an ever-present for Mervue last year in their best ever season is baffling. He plays strikers as makeshift wingers like Keegan/Molloy/Shanahan, they look totally out of place and give us no penetration from the wide areas and upfront we're a joke. We will not be in the mix for promotion starting Stephen Walsh upfront.

Here's hoping Tommy Dunne, Tony Cousins and Tommy Griffin keep hold of their positions. All three doing a sterling job.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

CHealy wrote: »
    To be fair, I think every county has the bandwagon issue, just have to accept it and embrace it when it happens.

And get used to conceding last minute goals with Tommy in charge, its one of his specialities.

I'd disagree with that to an extent. Our crowds (Bohs) and Pat's Crowds don't really vary that much whether we're winning or losing. They're both just kind of consistently shíte.

Madworld wrote: »
    I'd disagree with that to an extent. Our crowds (Bohs) and Pat's Crowds don't really vary that much whether we're winning or losing. They're both just kind of consistently shíte.

Been supporting Bohs 14 years and can never remember our average going over 2000, support wise we are pretty poor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Pats getting absolutely spanked.

3-0 down at HT in Richmond, 5-0 on aggregate.

Advertisement