Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow moving tractors c/w trailers in middle lanes of N/M40 South Ring Road

Options
  • 09-04-2014 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭

Can anyone here shed some light on these guys? I've come across them at various time of the day and night. Always going about 50kph (in a 100k zone) and always in the middle lane of 3. Usually they go in pairs, sometimes three of them, about 0.25 miles apart.

There appears to be no id on them and, as far as I can make out, neither rear nor front registration number!

These guys cause havoc in the middle lane.

Anyone know where they go to, or where they come from?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

There were some guys a while back on a tractor recording videos of themselves driving around the South Ring, down the South Link and around the city center and posting them on Youtube. Not sure if it's the same guys but they're just a bunch of daft farmers.
    In the farming community it's called a "tractor run" and usually takes place on a country road. Kind of similar to the guys in modified cars that meet up and drive through the tunnel which is called a "tunnel run".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i don't know but since the new flyover has opened the amount of normal cars driving from the bloomfield interchange to over the sarsfield flyover at speeds below 60km/h has increased. everyday i see at least two cars driving in the middle lane (heading in both east and west directions) doing this crazy slow speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i don't know but since the new flyover has opened the amount of normal cars driving from the bloomfield interchange to over the sarsfield flyover at speeds below 60km/h has increased. everyday i see at least two cars driving in the middle lane (heading in both east and west directions) doing this crazy slow speed.

From the Togher exit (or thereabouts) to the far side of the Sarsfield Rd flyover is actually a 60kph zone - unless it's been removed very recently.

It may seem slow, but it is the limit.

As for the tractors mentioned above - seems crazy....they're hardly delivering supplies to the works at the Sarsfiels Rd R/about are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

blindsider wrote: »
    From the Togher exit (or thereabouts) to the far side of the Sarsfield Rd flyover is actually a 60kph zone - unless it's been removed very recently.

As for the tractors mentioned above - seems crazy....they're hardly delivering supplies to the works at the Sarsfiels Rd R/about are they?

nope thats gone now, the limit is 100km/h again. even with the new road works, all thats there is a light up sign warning of traffic queueing, that still doesn't excuse the middle lane driving at such slow speeds coming from douglas though, and heading east it clearly states where the slip road comes from wilton, merges with traffic coming from the roundabout the speed limit is 100km/h..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

blindsider wrote: »

As hoodwinked said, the 60 limit is gone and it's 100 all the way from the Curraheen Road sliproad to the Tunnel.

These tractors come from the Ballincollig direction and continue past the Douglas sliproads. They are pretty clean and, I reckon, unlikely to be farm tractors.

TBH, I can't fathom why the Gardai haven't pulled them already, if only to get them for failure to display a rear Reg number. I can't be sure, but I can't see a front reg either - need a passenger to check that for me.

I have video footage, taken by car cam, and may post that later - there's nothing to be seen really - no reg & no markings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement