Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing up the lawn ?

• 09-04-2014 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

hi i want to do something with the lawn

there's a good bit of moss on it and some weeds

whats the best way to go about it

do i need to pull up the moss at all?

or do i cut it and then put down some of this 3-in-1 fertilizer i hear about?

what's the best procedure to follow thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Sulfate of iron now and again in oct nov don't waste your time trying to remove it with a scarifier, unless its really bad then cut it go over with the scarifier and shake sulfate of iron. I spent a week on a lawn taking all the moss out got it lovely in the end and the moss is back again. Its hard auld going removing moss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

does the iron sulfate do the whole lot ?

greening and mosskilling?

is that the same job as the 3-in-1 i keep hearing about

You could put the 3-in-1 on after that will knock out the weeds and feed the lawn sulfate is the best for moss theirs other stuff called ozmoz or something like that not worth a dam. Be careful with the sulfate you don't get it on your shoes and get it on the street or you will have black marks that are very hard to remove, you would want to get the sulfate out soon you can put it out if its wet leave a week or so and you should see dead moss rake as much as you can out then 3 in 1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Moss is usually a symptom of bad drainage...I found it was a compacted clay layer in my front lawn that was causing it. if you don't want to go through the hassle of rotovating and starting again I recommend pricking the lawn with a garden fork at regular intervals to improve drainage.

chopper6 wrote: »
    I recommend pricking the lawn with a garden fork at regular intervals to improve drainage.

just doing exactly that :)

i'm on a tight budget

i've got hold of some mossgo(for paths)? i presume i cant use that on the lawn instead of the iron sulphate:confused:

i'l be using the 3-in-1 then

• Advertisement

just doing exactly that :)

i'm on a tight budget

i've got hold of some mossgo(for paths)? i presume i cant use that on the lawn instead of the iron sulphate:confused:

i'l be using the 3-in-1 then

Rake the hell out of it too to get rid of the dead moss...then reseed the patches with compost and grass seed.

can you dissolve the iron sulfate in water and spray it on??

Just shake the sulfate don't put the sulfate on with the 3 in 1 as theirs sulfate in the 3 in 1 you use the sulfate first if the moss is really bad then rake out all the dead moss you might be as well to try the 3 in 1 first

Just shake the sulfate don't put the sulfate on with the 3 in 1 as theirs sulfate in the 3 in 1 you use the sulfate first if the moss is really bad then rake out all the dead moss you might be as well to try the 3 in 1 first

ok
    just trying to get my head round everything

is the iron sulphate good stuff for the grass anyhow like a fertilizer?

and do you have to use lawn seed and 3-in-1after raking out dead moss?

Sulfate is just for killing the moss as for more grass seed that dependents on how bad the moss is and how much you rake out. The lawn i did i cut it as low as i could then went over it with a scarifier then i put down grass seed lawn came up lovely and green no moss but you do have to keep ahead off the moss best job is sulfate twice a year
    So for you
    1 sulfate let it work
    2 cut lawn as low as ya can
    3 scarife lawn
    4 rake any moss left
    5 put down grass seed by june july you should have a lovely lawn
    6 Oct/ Nov put out sulfate
    7 this time next year 3 in 1
    I can tell ya now its a hell of a job but once its done its worth it but you have to keep ahead off the moss.
    So from then on sulfate in oct nov then 3 in 1 march/ April should keep it at bay
    Sorry if my other info was a bit miss leading

• Advertisement

ok thanks for all that

how would i fit 3-in1 into that now...if i wanted to

could i apply the 3-in-1 along with the grass seed after step 4??

and will cheap grass seed do??

thanks

Ya dont see why not give it a while let the grass start to grow then you could use 3 in 1 ask in the place where you buy the grass seed to make sure but once the grass is up i dont see a problem

well ok so i think im nearly good to go:)

i notice when i googled it they say to mix the iron sulphate with hot water and water it on the lawn??

what do you think

thanks

Only ever shuck it out but it dose need the rain for it to work so maybe with the hot water it might work faster i find with this horticulture crack theirs no right way or wrong way if it works do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Only ever shuck it out but it dose need the rain for it to work so maybe with the hot water it might work faster i find with this horticulture crack theirs no right way or wrong way if it works do it
    You're kinda right there peter, but you need to know what you are doing, there are efficent and inefficent ways of doing the same job, spraying is the most efficent way of applying iron sulphate, also while 3 in 1 products are probably the most hassle free they are also the most expensive way of treating your lawn but they are ideal for the domectic market as there is very little scope for things to go wrong.
    The hot water is only used to disolve the iron sulphate, when dissolving with hot water use a separate bucket and let it cool before putting in your sprayer or on your lawn i.e. don't pour hot water into your sprayer it could damage internal parts.

what's involved in scarifying and can I use a rake?

is it getting all the junk out of the lawn?

thanks

I watered on the iron sulphate today so I'll leave it for a couple of weeks now

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

If your lawn is small you could use a rake but if it is big you can hire machine scarifiers. They pretty much rip up any moss and leave it on the top of the lawn. You can either gather it with a rake or run over it with the lawn mower to collect it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Did a big job on my lawn last year because it was really just a mass of weeds and moss and very little grass. From research I learned the steps to a really nice lawn. 1. Treat it. (I used evergreen complete) 2. Scarify it. 3 Aerate it 4. reseed it.

With no clue how to do any of the above I watched the following videos ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cZ1063EeS4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPVD_w66yPg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4ISXszCuLY

It was bloody hard work and a big pain but worth it! My lawn is now like a tennis court and everyone comments on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

Did a big job on my lawn last year because it was really just a mass of weeds and moss and very little grass. From research I learned the steps to a really nice lawn. 1. Treat it. (I used evergreen complete) 2. Scarify it. 3 Aerate it 4. reseed it.

With no clue how to do any of the above I watched the following videos ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cZ1063EeS4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPVD_w66yPg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4ISXszCuLY

It was bloody hard work and a big pain but worth it! My lawn is now like a tennis court and everyone comments on it :D

Good post... What lawn seed did you use?

Nothing fancy, just a general purpose lawn seed that I purchased in Woodies which was on special offer!

This year I also bought lawn food and have been treating it once a month to keep it looking nice and green.

• Advertisement

Robbie G wrote: »
    Good post... What lawn seed did you use?
    "No 2 lawn seed" is the most common one available and any decent Co-Op shop or hardware shop should stock it, you can get a 25kg bag for about €80
    Nothing fancy, just a general purpose lawn seed that I purchased in Woodies which was on special offer!

This year I also bought lawn food and have been treating it once a month to keep it looking nice and green.
    Feeding every 6 weeks is the most common recommended dosage for lawn fertilisers, anything more frequent is just a waste od money as the plant can only absorb so much nutrients.

how long do the reseeded patches normally take to show

I had no topsoil but scarified fertilized and trampled in the seed with my feet

I hope that will do

I hope that will do
    In this weather the seedlings would probably start to show in about a week, I wouldn't recommend trampling the area after sowing the seed, soil and seeds are likely to stick to your shoes/boots, a light rake in after sowing is ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I hope that will do

I did the same as you and I am still waiting for the new grass to appear 11 days later.:(
    From past experience I find that grass takes alot longer to appear than quoted on the box/bag.
    If its not up within another week I'll be worried though.

I used this guys videos to overhaul the lawn,very good .

"No 2 lawn seed" is the most common one available and any decent Co-Op shop or hardware shop should stock it, you can get a 25kg bag for about €80

Feeding every 6 weeks is the most common recommended dosage for lawn fertilisers, anything more frequent is just a waste od money as the plant can only absorb so much nutrients.

My Instructions say once a month so that's what I'll be sticking to.

My Instructions say once a month so that's what I'll be sticking to.
    Good for you, it's not like they are trying to get you to consume more or anything like that.

A fortnight minimum...IMO.

Advertisement