Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you ever look at your lenses and think...

• 09-04-2014 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

...that you could survive without some more than others. Or have you ever got that itch to add another lens, just because.

For the last couple of months, I've been toying with the idea of selling my 24-105 L and 135 L to put funds together towards a 24-70 2.8 L (MKI even) and / or a 50 1.2 L. Both lenses are amazing, and the 24-105 in particular is silly sharp and my go to lens for a lot of work. But for some reason, I just never fell in love with it like say my 70-200 or 35 1.4. I can say the same about the 135, it's so bloody sharp but when it comes down to it, I always pick my 70-200 up first. It makes me think why do I even have it?

Anyone else feel that way about some of their gear or is it just me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    ...that you could survive without some more than others. Or have you ever got that itch to add another lens, just because.

For the last couple of months, I've been toying with the idea of selling my 24-105 L and 135 L to put funds together towards a 24-70 2.8 L (MKI even) and / or a 50 1.2 L. Both lenses are amazing, and the 24-105 in particular is silly sharp and my go to lens for a lot of work. But for some reason, I just never fell in love with it like say my 70-200 or 35 1.4. I can say the same about the 135, it's so bloody sharp but when it comes down to it, I always pick my 70-200 up first. It makes me think why do I even have it?

Anyone else feel that way about some of their gear or is it just me?

I know some guys who just like working with there 1.2 50 mill and a 16 to 35, only when needed hey use there 70 to 200 for more then anything lens compression ( out-door portrait shots). I really feel it depends what it is your shooting and will it suit your needs. I'm happy with all my kit., Just wish my camera was faster a focusing. I cant really afford to upgrade yet.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭RickyWed

Best combination is 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 for weddings and such

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭W0LFMAN

"Anyone else feel that way about some of their gear or is it just me?"

I know your Feeling. My first Lens was 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 on a 400D Body

Then I got that pokemon Feeling,

I wanted to collect them all.

It was too expensive to own them all so over the years, I've Been buying and trying as many as I could.

The Lens I've Owned are:

Canon EF 50mm F1.4
    Canon EF 17 - 85mm EFS
    Canon EF 50mm F1.8
    Canon EF 24-85mm ultrasonic F3.5-4.5
    Canon EF 90-300mm F4.5 - 5.6
    Canon EF 35-135 F4.0-5.6 Usm
    Canon EF 20-35mm F2.8 L
    Canon EF 28mm F2.8
    Canon EF 70 - 200mm F2.8 L
    Canon EF 17-40mm F4 L
    Canon EF 55-200mm aperture F4.5 -5.6
    Canon EF 70 - 300 mm F4-5.6 IS USM
    Canon EF 35-70mm F3.5 - 4.5
    Canon EF 75 - 300 mm IS
    Canon EF 100 - 300 mm USM
    Canon EF 35mm F2
    Canon EF 24-70 F2.8 L
    Canon EF 85mm F1.8
    Canon EF 100mm F2.8 Macro
    Canon 28 - 105 mm F3.5-4.5
    Sigma DG 70-200 F2.8 HSM DG
    Sigma DG 17-35mm F2.8-4 DG
    Sigma DC 50-150mm F2.8
    Sigma DC 55-200 mm F4.0-5.6 Lens
    Sigma DG 28-70mm F2.8
    Sigma DG 24-70 F2.8 HSM DG
    Sigma DC 30mm F1.4mm
    Sigma 70 - 300 F4-5.6 DG Macro

Italic* I still own

Of course there are a few on my wish list.

Canon EF 50 F1.2
    Canon EF 85 F1.2
    Canon EF 135 F2
    Canon EF 16-35 F2
    Sigma DC 18-35 F1.8

My Belief was that the lens is what made the Picture, So I searched for such a Lens I thought was going to give me the Perfect Picture.

After trying loads of different Lens, I realised that a Photo is more than the Lens. A 50mm F1.2 Might be a great lens, But at the time of taking a picture a 50mm F1.8 might just do the Job. A 50mm F1.2 or a 135 F2 will give that great DOF look, but if the ISO is wrong, or the White Balance, or the Wrong Filter, Or even the wrong shutter speed. The money tied up in an expensive lens is not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

I'll throw a spanner in the works and say, I had a 50mm 1.8 and sold it, got a 50mm 1.2 and it has been the best money I've ever spent. It......is.......LUSH
    But I spent a lot of time thinking.........
    A 85 would be nice to have (still want one), a 35 would be nice, but what do I shoot most with, what's my style?
    Figure that out first, then decide. If you do weddings you'll need a few options etc
    Good Luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Ive found lately that photographers as a group obsess about cameras, lenses, and gear in general. I have spent huge amounts of time looking at 12mp images zoomed in to 100% to find problems so i can justify that next lens.

In my very subjective opinion, i think that 99% of photographers are not limited by their lens, but are actually limited by:

-not practising enough and knowing how to use their gear.
    -enjoying that just bought feeling a bit too much like we all do.
    -measuring contests.
    -be prepared for EVERY eventuality. "Im heading out, i need a dslr, 5 lenses, wide angle for street/landscape, walkabout 24-70, 50mm for portraits, 200mm+ in case i see a bird, filters in case the sky is too bright, multiple cards in case i take too many shots etc etc.

Ive also noticed on other boards ( steves digicams is a great example) that the "what camera should i buy" has orders of magnitudes more posts than all other forums. as one camera can take many photos, you would assume someone would post a few times for advice on the gear, then if they only posted one picture a week for a year there would still be 52 posts in photo forums against 2-3 in the "what camera..." forum.

Ive also proven to myself that Its not more gear i need, I need to get out with my gear more. I got a Fuji x100, fixed 28mm (35mm on crop sensor) and thats all i use now. its also improving my photography a lot. I walk more, i inspect subjects more, i observe more, i understand my camera settings and limitations better.

That said, if your doing weddings, you need a minimum, but get caught up on using the gear, and getting better, not thinking that "i suck so i must need that new L Series XXmm".

I blogged about it here. this revelation actually pushed me to start the blog, for my own benefit, as a progress diary and somewhere to actually share my photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭elysium321

fret_whimp2, agree 100%.
    I recently went through some of my older photos taken with a Canon PowerShot S5 IS and I realised that most of those photos are actually better than the ones that I took with my DSLR recently.
    The reason for that was that I had way more time then, I was more familiar with my camera, its settings and all that. in general, it really is more about practicing than about the gear you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Fatgoogle

I like the idea of zoom lenses but always end up using 50mm or 28mm. I just work around everything else, get closer. Makes
    me move and work to take the photo i want to.

But i would really like an 80mm and a 28-80mm zoom for my olympus om1.

To be fair, i really don't know how any of it works so don't particularly care in a way. Now get me talking about double bass's and ill explain exactly why i need 6k to buy a Louis Morizot bow..........

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SusieQue

Torn between the canon 24-70 2.8 MKII and the Tamron 24-70... ANyone any opinion on either or have had the chance to try the 2??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

Would love to sell my 24 - 105 and go prime lens only. Have an 85 1.8 I love using but...The 24 - 105 is a great lens and what would I get going from f4 down to f 1.4 to f2.8? Besides the obvious.

Advertisement