Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom fan

Options
  • 09-04-2014 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi does anyone know if its expensive to get a fan fixed in a bathroom & is it a job for an electrician. cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

what's wrong with it? not switiching on? rattling? grinding noises?

Depends on what's wrong with it.

wouldn't be a difficult job to do, if you know anything about diy repair or wiring (assuming not in this case)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭puddles59

not switching on & no i'm afraid not good on the ol'd diy.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

Ah pity. It could be a number of things.

loose wire
    fuse (if yours has a fuse)
    fan motor burned out

hard to say. Are you in Mayo by any chance? could reccomend a good handyman for you if ya are.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

puddles59 wrote: »
    not switching on & no i'm afraid not good on the ol'd diy.

could have simply give up the ghost, between dust and dampness over the years. If you get the make and model, you should be able to get a replacement on internet relatively cheaply, and they are a doddle to remove and refit (just remember to isolate elec at switchboard first). that's what I did last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭rightoldpickle

Sorry to jump in here but any idea how much it costs to fit one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

They cost about €20. Getting it installed by an electrician will be probably range €20-€50. Very easy to do.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

If the property is rented, I'd Expect the landlord to replace it tbh. as its in their benifit that moisture doesn't build up in their bathroom, leading to mold!

I asked my LL last year and she was more then happy to send someone around to replace and fit the new one. The guy she sent around said they have a lifespan of 6-7 years of normal wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    They cost about €20. Getting it installed by an electrician will be probably range €20-€50. Very easy to do.

It depends if there's already a (working) circuit in place - there should be, since it's a requirement for a bathroom to have mechnical ventilation, but sometimes there's not.

If there is a circuit, then you don't even need an electrician - a handyman can do it.

If there's no circuit, then you need an electrican, so the minimum charge will be their callout rate (unless you have other jobs for them to do a the same time). Good luck with getting one for €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We got ours replaced by an electrician this month. It cost €70 to supply and fit. We put an ad up on tradesmen.ie

Advertisement