Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Husky

• 09-04-2014 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

How will a new husky puppy react with coming into a home with a cat?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Have you researched prey drive in huskies?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LynnMcElhinney

How would I find out if a husky is prey drived?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Google?

Talk to the breeders/breed clubs for the particular husky type you're interested in.
    Visit dog parks and ask owners.

State which type of husky on here and ask owners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Normally you would do a lot of research into the breed or type of dog you are considering adding to your family to see if it suits your Lifestyle. The Siberian Husky would have a high prey drive and might find a cat very tempting. You could contact the secretary of the Siberian Husky Club of Ireland and they will be able to give you lots of information on living with this breed of dog

http://www.ikc.ie/all-ireland-siberian-husky-club

For example I own a high prey drive terrier breed and I cannot have any small furry creatures such as hamsters, rabbits etc in the same room as them. I also have to be really careful with them around cats they don't know.

Huskies, Akita's & Malamutes have unfortunately become a fashion accessory dog the last couple of years and lots of people are getting the breed with no idea or interest in how to look after them. They are wonderful dogs in the right homes if their needs can be met but in my opinion they are more suitable for experienced dog owners. These breeds are powerful intelligent working dogs who need an awful lot of exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

The fact that you have to ask this shows you know nothing of the Husky breed (and Malamutes as well) and it hacks me off. Dog shelters and advert sites like donedeal have so many unwanted Huskies.

So many people just look at the big blue eyes melt inside and decide they want it as a puppy without realising just how much work goes into them.

Huskies are very intelligent, problem solving working dogs. They are not house dogs, they require large amounts of exercise (and no a big garden is not enough) and stimulation or they will get bored and destructive.

As others have said they also have strong prey instinct. Your little kitty could very well look like a chew toy very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

silverbolt wrote: »
    The fact that you have to ask this shows you know nothing of the Husky breed (and Malamutes as well) and it hacks me off.

Now. Rather than get annoyed at the OP....educate them please. This could be the beginning of their research and don't let it be the last time they come to this forum.

They could very well "google" information like we all can, but we have very experienced and knowledgeable posters here.Let them provide "hands on" information before we jump to conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

anniehoo wrote: »
    Now. Rather than get annoyed at the OP....educate them please. This could be the beginning of their research and don't let it be the last time they come to this forum.

They could very well "google" information like we all can, but we have very experienced and knowledgeable posters here.Let them provide "hands on" information before we jump to conclusions.

Sorry, it just frustrates me no end.

Ok OP heres some information regarding huskies,

Siberian Huskies are generally low shedders except during the times of year when they blow their coat, meaning they drop large amounts of hair all at once. This happens roughly twice a year, more if you live in warmer climates, and when it does, the breed becomes a heavy shedder for about a three-week stretch.

Siberian Huskies are not recommended for apartment living, but some do quite well in apartments if they are properly trained and exercised.

Siberian Huskies are known escape artists and have been known to wander away and disappear. They can jump fences, break tie-out chains, slip collars and find any other way to escape. They need a high fenced yard and the fence should also be buried several inches below ground to prevent the Husky from digging his way out.

Siberian Huskies can be very destructive both inside and out. If they are left uncrated inside, the breed can destroy a house and cause a wide variety of damage. Outside, they enjoy digging and will dig up yards and flower gardens alike. A dog that is given a place to dig in the yard is much happier and so are you.

While they enjoy howling, Siberian Huskies rarely bark and they will not alert bark if someone comes onto your property. This makes them an unsuitable watchdog. The rap on Huskies is that they would aid a burglar before posing any threat.

Siberian Huskies are not a breed for the new or timid owner. They need a strong owner who will maintain an alpha position in the home. They need obedience training from a young age and can be a difficult and stubborn breed to train.

Siberian Huskies are very curious and can become injured or lost while they are exploring something new.

Affectionate and good natured describes the Siberian Husky. Generally, they do well with children although young children should never be left alone with any breed. They also get along with people and do well in homes with multiple dogs.

Siberian Huskies were bred to need very little food to survive. This still applies today and the Siberian Husky does not need a high level of calories per day. It is important to ask your Siberian Husky's breeder what they recommended for a serving helping and to follow their advice.

Huskies cannot be allowed to run off leash during walks. They will run away and will also chase other small animals.

Due to their beauty, Siberian Huskies are one of the most wrongly purchased breeds around. Many do not take into consideration their temperaments and particular quirks and are often left with an unruly, albeit beautiful, dog. Many Siberian Huskies are either lost, killed, or given to shelters due to uninformed owners. If you are thinking of purchasing a Siberian Husky, take a lot of time learning about the breed. Visit some Siberian Husky breeders or shelter dogs, read books, talk to other owners and possibly foster if you feel you can. If after all your experiences, you feel you still want a Siberian Husky, take the time to decide on whether you should adopt a rescue or a puppy. Follow your breeder's advice and remember that this beautiful dog will make your life an adventure and not always a good one.

Pulled/copy pasted from

http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/siberian-husky#

This is a general overview, some dogs will of course completely buck this trend but you wont really know for sure until the dog is almost fully grown

silverbolt wrote: »
    The fact that you have to ask this shows you know nothing of the Husky breed (and Malamutes as well) and it hacks me off. Dog shelters and advert sites like donedeal have so many unwanted Huskies.

So many people just look at the big blue eyes melt inside and decide they want it as a puppy without realising just how much work goes into them.

Huskies are very intelligent, problem solving working dogs. They are not house dogs, they require large amounts of exercise (and no a big garden is not enough) and stimulation or they will get bored and destructive.

As others have said they also have strong prey instinct. Your little kitty could very well look like a chew toy very soon.

I don't appreciate the fact that you go off on a rant about me not knowing anything about huskies. I am asking to find out more about them I am not planning on getting a husky if I can not provide a good home for it. I am only 16 and trying to find out information about it. I would like to get a husky as a pet as I enjoy walking/running but I do not have anyone to keep me company and I thought a dog would be suitable. I do not want to put my cat in danger so that is why I am asking. I'm not a dog expert that is why I came here to find out more. I have been looking on Google but I wanted to get information of people who know things about huskies. I feel this is very rude and hateful to say to someone

Google?

Talk to the breeders/breed clubs for the particular husky type you're interested in.
    Visit dog parks and ask owners.

State which type of husky on here and ask owners?

Where I live there aren't many huskies about. I was going to email a vet but I wasn't sure if they would be willing to answer me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I don't appreciate the fact that you go off on a rant about me not knowing anything about huskies. I am asking to find out more about them I am not planning on getting a husky if I can not provide a good home for it. I am only 16 and trying to find out information about it. I would like to get a husky as a pet as I enjoy walking/running but I do not have anyone to keep me company and I thought a dog would be suitable. I do not want to put my cat in danger so that is why I am asking. I'm not a dog expert that is why I came here to find out more.

I ran a husky rescue organisation for the last 6 years, it has recently closed, not because there are no huskies needing homes anymore, but because there are so many, and so few homes that are the right ones for a husky, that I just can't take anymore dogs in. I have 12 of my own, mainly dogs that I couldn't rehome.

Huskies and cats unfortunately usually are not a good mix, I have a locked door between my dogs and cat at all times, some of my dogs can open doors inwards. There are so many instances of a husky living with a cat for years, even when brought home as a pup and growing up with a cat, then one day, the prey drive kicked in and the cat was killed. They are also, as another poster pointed out, escape artists, and will worry livestock. I have 6 and 7 foot fencing all around my property, but one rescue bitch that came to us used to climb it like a cat, she didn't jump, she literally climbed.

Canicross, the sport of running with your dog is growing hugely in Europe, but in Ireland and the UK, because of our climate, most people run with dogs that don't have a double coat, so that they can run in the spring and autumn, and sometimes in the summer. Those that do canicross with huskies can only run during the colder months, as they can overheat very easily. There are some canicross groups on Facebook, maybe join one or two of them, and have a chat with some others that run with their dog, and see if you can find a breed, or crossbreed that will enjoy the sport with you, but would be more suited to your life style. This is Canicross in Ireland, which will have links to the other groups. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Canicross-in-Ireland/227215707343812?fref=ts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

I don't appreciate the fact that you go off on a rant about me not knowing anything about huskies. I am asking to find out more about them I am not planning on getting a husky if I can not provide a good home for it. I am only 16 and trying to find out information about it. I would like to get a husky as a pet as I enjoy walking/running but I do not have anyone to keep me company and I thought a dog would be suitable. I do not want to put my cat in danger so that is why I am asking. I'm not a dog expert that is why I came here to find out more. I have been looking on Google but I wanted to get information of people who know things about huskies. I feel this is very rude and hateful to say to someone

Hi Lynn

I guess some posters read your first post above, and assumed two things. One - that you already had the dog. And two - that you were a lot older than 16.

And they get their backs up... Because like me, they love their dogs. It's not personal - it's just that Huskies in particular - are having a rough time of late.

I own two. As a breed, they don't do well with cats and small animals. They could easily kill a cat or similar. As they have a high 'prey drive'.

They need LOTS of stimulation. Exercise, training and routine. They are not to be left alone for long periods. They climb. They dig.

Feel free to ask whatever questions you like... And check out the 'All Ireland Siberian Husky' Facebook page. You'll get an idea of just how many people get a husky, only to realise they can't keep up with owning one.

Not a dog for the faint hearted.

But... To the dedicated owner... They are so worth the time and effort.

Best of luck

Hooked wrote: »
    Hi Lynn

I guess some posters read your first post above, and assumed two things. One - that you already had the dog. And two - that you were a lot older than 16.

And they get their backs up... Because like me, they love their dogs. It's not personal - it's just that Huskies in particular - are having a rough time of late.

I own two. As a breed, they don't do well with cats and small animals. They could easily kill a cat or similar. As they have a high 'prey drive'.

They need LOTS of stimulation. Exercise, training and routine. They are not to be left alone for long periods. They climb. They dig.

Feel free to ask whatever questions you like... And check out the 'All Ireland Siberian Husky' Facebook page. You'll get an idea of just how many people get a husky, only to realise they can't keep up with owning one.

Not a dog for the faint hearted.

But... To the dedicated owner... They are so worth the time and effort.

Best of luck

I have decided it would be better to wait as I have my whole life to get a dog but I will not have my cat for it. It's not fair on her to be put in danger because I would like a dog.
    Thank you for the help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

No mention of Alaskan Huskies? I know they're not as popular as their Siberian counterparts, but they're not as aggressive. Case in point, I went dog sledding for 2 days in Norway and they used Alaskan huskies. I'd anticipated teams of Siberian huskies, big and mean. But the Alaskan breed are a lot smaller, an awful lot more affectionate, even for the working dogs they are. That said, these things are very fit, so I would assume all the requirements for constant simulation are just as necessary.

No mention of Alaskan Huskies? I know they're not as popular as their Siberian counterparts, but they're not as aggressive. Case in point, I went dog sledding for 2 days in Norway and they used Alaskan huskies. I'd anticipated teams of Siberian huskies, big and mean. But the Alaskan breed are a lot smaller, an awful lot more affectionate, even for the working dogs they are. That said, these things are very fit, so I would assume all the requirements for constant simulation are just as necessary.

I think you mean 'Alaskan Malamute'... An Alaskan Husky would be a cross between a Sibe and a Mal, no? EDITED TO ADD - it seems an Alaskan Husky is indeed a breed of dog - and a lot slimmer... You learn something new every day!

And 'not as aggressive'? Siberian Huskies are not at all aggressive. Sure, they have a high prey drive - but aggressive? Not in the least.

Big and 'mean'? Huskies are actually a medium sized dog. Mals are a lot bigger.

Either breed require a lot of exercise and mental stimulation. We're just back from our 7am walk. Training at lunchtime, and another long walk... After work. Step and repeat - EVERY DAY! For the next 12-15 years. We're all off to the beach for the weekend. Camping with crates in tow.

Huskies (and Mals) are fantastic dogs. But not for the faint hearted!

I have decided it would be better to wait as I have my whole life to get a dog but I will not have my cat for it. It's not fair on her to be put in danger because I would like a dog.
    Thank you for the help :)

You're most welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Hooked wrote: »
    I think you mean 'Alaskan Malamute'... An Alaskan Husky would be a cross between a Sibe and a Mal, no? EDITED TO ADD - it seems an Alaskan Husky is indeed a breed dog - and a lot slimmer... You learn something new every day!

And 'not as aggressive'? Siberian Huskies are not at all aggressive. Sure, they have a high prey drive - but aggressive? Not in the least.

Big and 'mean'? Huskies are actually a medium sized dog. Mals are a lot bigger.

Either breed require a lot of exercise and mental stimulation. We're just back from our 7am walk. Training at lunchtime, and another long walk... After work. Step and repeat - EVERY DAY! For the next 12-15 years. We're all off to the beach for the weekend. Camping with crates in tow.

Huskies (and Mals) are fantastic dogs. But not for the faint hearted!

On the aggression thing, I was talking more about the 'working' huskies, admittedly my knowledge of them stems from a top gear special, so yep, um obviously not an expert there :D though ive heard and read that sleigh dogs like that have to be kept in line, and will snap at each other etc., imagine my surprise then when the Alaskan huskies we met were like normal friendly dogs, jumping up to lick your hands etc., as well as being tough bastards!

Also, didn't mean to say huskies are aggressive, I think 'intimidating' could be a better word. Once again I was surprised at how slight the Alaskans seemed by comparison is all I meant.

Edit: 3 walks a day! Fair play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Absolutely no way should an alaskan husky be in a pet home with a cat. Siberians are a medium dog anyway, not big and mean, so really not sure where you've got that idea from, and if bought from the right breeder, can most definitely be a pet. Alaskans are out and out working dogs, carefully bred from working lines using the dogs with the highest working drive. They aren't a breed, they are a type, as different kennels cross different breeds, to get what they want for their type of working.

I've just seen your second post, the Top Gear special didn't use Siberian huskies, they used inuit dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

What about a Norwegian Elkhound for the OP? I have one and she doesn't go near my two cats and gets on great with my other dogs.

I can't say I have extensive knowledge of the breed. She is a dog that we rehomed for a family member of my wife.

Wikipedia (Not the best of sources I know) describe the breed as "excellent family dogs given proper attention. It is bold, playful, independent, alert, extremely intelligent, and, at times, a bit boisterous" which I'd fully agree with.

Lemlin wrote: »
    What about a Norwegian Elkhound for the OP? I have one and she doesn't go near my two cats and gets on great with my other dogs.

I can't say I have extensive knowledge of the breed. She is a dog that we rehomed for a family member of my wife.

Wikipedia (Not the best of sources I know) describe the breed as "excellent family dogs given proper attention. It is bold, playful, independent, alert, extremely intelligent, and, at times, a bit boisterous" which I'd fully agree with.

My cat doesn't take very kindly when other pets come into my home. She normally stays out of the way and doesn't go where the dog or other animal would be.
    I'm not sure if I can encourage her to get along with other animals because she never mixes with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

My cat doesn't take very kindly when other pets come into my home. She normally stays out of the way and doesn't go where the dog or other animal would be.
    I'm not sure if I can encourage her to get along with other animals because she never mixes with them.

Then it wouldn't be exactly fair of you to consider getting any breed of dog, nomatter how good they may be with cats. We got a second cat before and our original cat didn't come home for almost three weeks as a result!

• Advertisement

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Then it wouldn't be exactly fair of you to consider getting any breed of dog, nomatter how good they may be with cats. We got a second cat before and our original cat didn't come home for almost three weeks as a result!

If you hadn't read any of my other responses you'll see that I decided to wait. My cats never left for days she just kept to herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

If you hadn't read any of my other responses you'll see that I decided to wait. My cats never left for days she just kept to herself.

I have, I was just re-iterating in case you didn't already know that asking whether or not a dog would accept the cat shouldn't have been the first question if you already knew your cat wouldn't accept a dog :o

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I have, I was just re-iterating in case you didn't already know that asking whether or not a dog would accept the cat shouldn't have been the first question if you already knew your cat wouldn't accept a dog :o

Right.

You know when you dangle a string in front of a cat and the prey drive sets in , they just have to catch it with their claws ? A cats movement can set that off in a Husky. I have seen husky's grow with cats for years and then one day just kill it.

You know when you dangle a string in front of a cat and the prey drive sets in , they just have to catch it with their claws ? A cats movement can set that off in a Husky. I have seen husky's grow with cats for years and then one day just kill it.

Is it only huskies that are like that? Or are most dogs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Is it only huskies that are like that? Or are most dogs?

There are many breeds of dogs who will happily live with cats. My Spinone loves them and never lived with one until he was 11 months old. My terriers would live with their own but kill the neighbours.

Some breeds however are not suitable for living with cats. Individual personality comes into it too.

My friends Kerry Blue lived with a cat for 5 years. One morning the neighbour's dog growled at him through the border fence & the Kerry Blue grabbed the cat he lived with & killed it when he could not get at the other dog.

Advertisement