Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First 7seater...few questions :-)

Options
  • 09-04-2014 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

As title says we're buying our first 7seater
    Have been looking at allmakes models etc
    Have about 20k (I hope) to play around with
    So think today I found what seems to be the ideal car for us
    It's a Toyota verso Luna - second hand but in good nick,low mileage and within budget :-)

Just wondering what are the cons to this car?
    Now I know the third row of seats is very tight but they're only for backup the odd time I'll have my nephew/niece etc so don't mind it too much

Would welcome all pointers.thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

How many kids will you have in it normally?
    If it is 3 then it is a perfect car.
    Is it a diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Normally 3yes
    Yes it's diesel
    Sorry should have said

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Anyone I know with them loves them:)
    I have never driven one but I drive a Ford Galaxy and anyone I know with the Verso says it is more like a car to drive and less like a van.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Have you considered the Ford Grand CMax?, We only use the extra seats once a fortnight or so but are delighted with it (we have 7 / 8 year olds in the back and no issues regarding space). The sliding rear doors are an absolute godsend, hard to believe that so few cars have them. http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/ford/c_max/grand-mini-mpv/review

mattb74 wrote: »
    Have you considered the Ford Grand CMax?, We only use the extra seats once a fortnight or so but are delighted with it (we have 7 / 8 year olds in the back and no issues regarding space). The sliding rear doors are an absolute godsend, hard to believe that so few cars have them. http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/ford/c_max/grand-mini-mpv/review

I did look at one but hated the boot, the seats were difficult to maneover and the pedals were too much of a stretch for me --I'm very short but found myself stretching my toes constantly. And the seat was properly adjusted. Just not for us. (Well me lol)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I did look at one but hated the boot, the seats were difficult to maneover and the pedals were too much of a stretch for me --I'm very short but found myself stretching my toes constantly. And the seat was properly adjusted. Just not for us. (Well me lol)

Each to their own I suppose! The seats are actually very very easy to maneuver. I'm over 6 ft so no stretching for me! Good luck with the new car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

We have a Honda Odyssey. One thing to look out for is that the boot is tiny and totally inadequate for all the gear you will need going away with a bigger family. We got a roof rack and one of those rooftop boxes which is essential for long trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

My wife has a grand Megane / scenic and loves it. Fits 3 kid seats in the middle and has 2 fold away seats in the back when there folded the boot is huge and when up it still fits buggy, scooters shopping etc.

It has all the standard 7 seater stuff such as fold away tables, sun visors, cubbies holds etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If you need 3 car seats across the back, a tight fit will get very tiresome very quickly. Have you tried all your required seats in the back?

Have a look here too - they discuss various MPVs and their seating capacity including the Verso.
    http://www.which.co.uk/baby-and-child/baby-transport/reviews-ns/child-car-seat-fitting-problems-explored/child-seats-in-seven-seat-mpvs/

I just bought a Citroen Picasso - but not before trying out our three seats in the back first! I'm sure the Verso is a great car just make sure you won't be putting your back out trying to secure the cargo. :)

That is a great link.

The only thing that is a bit annoying about the Galaxy is that there are only 2 isofix points and they are the left and right middle seats so where the 2 babies go which means that you want a child in between that can strap themselves in or older children in the sides so that you can lean in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

I find Honest John a very good website for reviews.

I have a Volkswagen Sharan, we also had to get a roof box for going on holiday as the boot space is way too small! All the back seats have isofix which is handy!

I bought a roof rack and was given a roof box for our summer holidays this year, a friend who also has 4 kids got a small trailer for the Q8 which also work out really well.
    I had so much boot space with 3 kids...:)

Dades wrote: »
    If you need 3 car seats across the back, a tight fit will get very tiresome very quickly. Have you tried all your required seats in the back?

Have a look here too - they discuss various MPVs and their seating capacity including the Verso.
    http://www.which.co.uk/baby-and-child/baby-transport/reviews-ns/child-car-seat-fitting-problems-explored/child-seats-in-seven-seat-mpvs/

I just bought a Citroen Picasso - but not before trying out our three seats in the back first! I'm sure the Verso is a great car just make sure you won't be putting your back out trying to secure the cargo. :)

That is a fab link thanks so much!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That is a fab link thanks so much!!
    No worries - I've just come out of the research stage. :P
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    The only thing that is a bit annoying about the Galaxy is that there are only 2 isofix points and they are the left and right middle seats so where the 2 babies go which means that you want a child in between that can strap themselves in or older children in the sides so that you can lean in.
    I guess everyone's situation is different. We've two boosters and a rear-facing... initially in the Picasso I thought I'd have the baba in the middle isofix and the two big 'uns on the outside. I quickly realised doing that every time I wanted to pop the baby seat out I had to unload/reload one of the boosters to get it out the door. Now baba goes in one side, with the two boosters side by side.

Seat belt extenders are also an option for people who find it difficult to access the belt sockets once three seats are in. I bought a pair of these for our VW Passat before we changed it.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1x-CAR-SEATBELT-SEAT-BELT-EXTENSION-EXTENDER-SAFETY-UK-/190505579243?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c5b0472eb

Luckily the Galaxy is huge even with a besafe izi combi in there,a maxi cosi baby seat and a high back booster in the middle row. SO that was my 2nd row but with baby getting big I moved the 2 big kids back a row and the 2 baby seats to the middle row so put the middle seat down for them to climb up and down as I can not put the side seats back and forward with rear facing iso fix seats in them.
    It is the only flaw I have with the car.
    I didn't explain the issue very well,I reckon it is an issue in all 7 seaters with only 2 isofix points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I have a citroen C8, its huge but i have 4 kids from 15 to 2, space is huge inside but what made it a must for me (and i dont want to frighten anyone) was the crash test ! I had a picasso, I got it when my 3rd was born and when my 4th arrived i was dithering because i loved the car but it was a pain bringing 2 everywhere.

I wrote it off with the 2 youngest in the back (2 and 4 months at the time) it rolled twice but the interior stayed intact and all walked away with a scratch thank god. This convinced me to buy citroen again... ;)

3 weeks ago I was overtaking a car. He pulled out to overtake too without looking and smacked right into me, at about 100kms... I had a slice of cake (on way home from bday party) and bud ear phones in the passenger door pocket they were smushed :eek: completely. We felt the bump and a rattle but the car took a few scratches and body damage but his car was wrecked ! Side impact bars are amazing!! I didnt want a car with flight seats because with rear impact they're just not good enough..
    This is the peace of mind i get with the bigger heavier car, its not for everyone but this is the first thing i look for in a car now.. accident performance :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

cbyrd wrote: »
    I have a citroen C8, its huge but i have 4 kids from 15 to 2, space is huge inside but what made it a must for me (and i dont want to frighten anyone) was the crash test ! I had a picasso, I got it when my 3rd was born and when my 4th arrived i was dithering because i loved the car but it was a pain bringing 2 everywhere.

I wrote it off with the 2 youngest in the back (2 and 4 months at the time) it rolled twice but the interior stayed intact and all walked away with a scratch thank god. This convinced me to buy citroen again... ;)

3 weeks ago I was overtaking a car. He pulled out to overtake too without looking and smacked right into me, at about 100kms... I had a slice of cake (on way home from bday party) and bud ear phones in the passenger door pocket they were smushed :eek: completely. We felt the bump and a rattle but the car took a few scratches and body damage but his car was wrecked ! Side impact bars are amazing!! I didnt want a car with flight seats because with rear impact they're just not good enough..
    This is the peace of mind i get with the bigger heavier car, its not for everyone but this is the first thing i look for in a car now.. accident performance :eek::D

I remember the picture of your picasso after the accident!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

January wrote: »
    I remember the picture of your picasso after the accident!

This time it wasn't worthy of pictures :pac:

Advertisement