Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening an Internet Cafe - Help!

• 09-04-2014 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi Guys, I have a small cafe which i am currently looking at adding an Internet cafe element to. It will be a small operation with (preferably) 3 coin operated pcs or tablets, printers and obviously customers can currently hook into our free wi-fi.
    Does anyone know what the most cost-effective, straightforward way of doing this would be? I live in a fairly touristy area which has a need for printing out boarding cards, tourist info etc and not everyone has smartphones.

Maybe one PC for people who need to type, and and 2 tablets that are secured to desk-height, and angled tables for customers that just need to surf the web/watch youtube. I need the solution to require minimum management/supervision, hence the need for coin operation.
    Would love your thoughts/help or advice. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

I would have thought that the demand for an Internet café of any kind was slim these days so I think your right to aim for the cheapest way possible to provide the service.
    An open access wifi printer behind the counter so customers can print from their own phones or tablets might be a good idea. take a leaf out of O'Leary's book and charge the unorganised 50c or 1euro per boarding pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Most hotels have a similar set up . coin operated and a charge to print per page. Can't remember the name of the company but all units seem to be the same company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

lucky john wrote: »
    I would have thought that the demand for an Internet café of any kind was slim these days so I think your right to aim for the cheapest way possible to provide the service.
    An open access wifi printer behind the counter so customers can print from their own phones or tablets might be a good idea. take a leaf out of O'Leary's book and charge the unorganised 50c or 1euro per boarding pass.

I agree - the overhead in maintaining & locking down your own devices is something that you don't need.

Advertise the print angle - charge per page.

If you have high footfall, then you want to ensure that people using your wifi are eating/drinking and not just wifi squatting over a small cold coffee for hours on end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Most hotels have a similar set up . coin operated and a charge to print per page. Can't remember the name of the company but all units seem to be the same company.

Just reminded me lf the hols last year. The hotel had a wifi zone in the lobby and 2 pay as you go computers. I rarely saw the computers in use but it always busy in the zone with laptops, phones and tables. As regards customers hogging the wifi over 1 cup of coffee mentioned by someone, I'm afraid that's par for the course in any coffee shop these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Check out www.paynsurf.ie its pretty much exactly what you are looking for or www.ormondetech.com/Pages/default.aspx

• Advertisement
Advertisement