Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to wire my pond equipment

Options
  • 09-04-2014 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,
    I bought a Jebao pond pump and filter that came with no plug. I then put a 13amp fused plug on each but when I plug them in they trip my home.
    Manufacturer says I need to hard wire them. I'm very novice(y) so could someone explain to me how I would go about this?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

You should probably put up photos of what you have,and also the wiring diagram that came with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Have you tried plugging them individually.

From a quick look on Google they sound like a cheap Chinese brand so one or the other may be faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 betsybehan

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jebao-Energy-Submersible-approved-OFE-5000/dp/B00915EIHG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397078613&sr=8-1&keywords=jebao+pump
    This is the pump. No wiring instructions. Just states that I need to hard wire them into their own electrical supply.

I have tried them individually. The pump works for a lil while and stops but the filter wont work ata ll

Tried uploading pics, don't think its been approved yet. Its called a Jebao Submersible pond pump for sale on Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Which model of each have you got? There must be a manual that states the power requirements? I suspect they do not have CE certification as there were no plugs included and bonded.

I have the 6500l pump and I have the 4000l filter. It
    Pump: model: OFE-6500 220 240V, 50 hz, power 50.

Are they in the pond with expensive Koi!! I would carefully check your plug and ensure the wiring is correct ie. no stray wires.
    Is the pond on a separate fused circuit?
    What other loads are on the pond circuit.
    If there is an issue with the pump itself it may leak into the electrics.This looks like a copy of the Oase range which are excellent pumps.
    If both units trip the house independently then I would be wary and attempt a refund.
    Is there a CE certificate (which you have checked before purchase)?

They are Gs and CE approved. They have a plug on them each which they shouldn't have. They are suppose to be hard wired into their own electrical supply. Would that mean I need to connect them to my fuse box? Yes there is very expensive koi

I see no reason to hard wire them as if the plugs are correctly wired and the circuit they are on is not overloaded they should not trip the breaker.
    Have you got a dedicated circuit with an earth leakage device incorporated for the pond equipment. Check the pumps on a mains socket circuit with nothing else running and check what happens. If they work then check the earth leakage device (which is essential).
    You have not answered the questions already asked.
    If a pump runs then stops is it then blowing a fuse or does it just stop.
    Are you running them in the water or dry.
    Does the filter trip straight away or not run at all.
    You say they are CE but they have no instructions and no moulded plug attached therefore CE is likely bogus. Did you get a copy of the certificate and check online for the actual confirmation.
    Personally for KOI I would stick to known brands as pump/filter failure will lead to expensive problems and these items need to run 24/7. A quick google found these are sold under other brands and no obvious problems
    except they are usually overrated in the sales literature.

• Advertisement

Hi Freddy, the filter trips everything immediately. The pump goes for an hour and then stops or it could go for 5mins and stops. I asked an electrician and he said there is not enough power and that I would need a 2.5 square cable and a rcbo.
    when I asked the seller he replied saying to not put a plug on them as they are outdoor and need hard wiring on their own electrical supply.

The electrician is correct. You need at least 2.5mM T&E if you do not have it already. And the RCBO as I said. If you are running this from the house you may need Armoured cable.
    So get the correct wiring sorted out then check if anything works. If your kit in in a shed which is most likely then you can use a plug and socket provided there is protection on the circuit. If it all works then you can hard wire it if you want.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

betsybehan wrote: »
    Tried uploading pics, don't think its been approved yet. Its called a Jebao Submersible pond pump for sale on Amazon.

Now approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

betsybehan wrote: »
    I asked an electrician and he said there is not enough power and that I would need a 2.5 square cable and a rcbo.
    when I asked the seller he replied saying to not put a plug on them as they are outdoor and need hard wiring on their own electrical supply.

I don't know the technical spec of these pumps but I'd imagine plugging them in to test would be fine.

I don't know what your electrician means when he says they need more power. The voltage will be standard +- a few %. He possibly thinks they are tripping the MCB by overloading it.

So to clarify does the MCB trip or the RCD (this will be slightly larger than an MCB with a test button on it)

You say the pump runs for a little while. Does it run till the RCD/MCB trips or does it just cut out itself? Are you sure you've removed all the packaging from them. The pump may be running dry and over heating.

If the filter isn't working at all and there's power at the socket then the issue is with the filter or your plug/lead. Check fuse in plug top.

The seller is recommending these to be hard wired as they are for external use so unless you have a sheltered area for an IP socket you shouldn't use a plug to avoid risk of electric shock.

Is there any spec on the pump/filter itself? Current rating. 2\3\5\10Amps??

If you're unsure ask your electrician to have a look. He should find the issue in little to no time.

Good Luck.

To clarify everything. I am currently in a mobile with a 6mil wire going to our fuse box in the mobile from the house. I then plugged the filter and pump into a socket in the mobile where it then trips the mobile and houses electricity. I'm guessing that I prob will need to bring another wire down from the house into my shed and put an rcbo on it in my shed and then hook the equipment up to the shed instead?

Advertisement