Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GW 34 captain poll

• 09-04-2014 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭

The most important captain choice of the year!!! Well, the rest of the season, maybe. With Suarez having a single game against Man City, we're actually going to have to think about this one...

Who's the best captain for GW 34? 199 votes

Lukaku
    0% 0 votes
    Aguero
    46% 93 votes
    Yaya
    17% 35 votes
    Dzeko
    16% 32 votes
    Silva
    3% 6 votes
    Baines
    3% 7 votes
    Coleman
    2% 5 votes
    Suarez
    2% 5 votes
    Anyone from Crystal Palace
    7% 15 votes
    Somebody else
    0% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

Went with Yaya last week and I'll go with him again this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

The most important captain choice of the year!!! Well, the rest of the season, maybe. With Suarez having a single game against Man City, we're actually going to have to think about this one...

would prefer to put in on yaya but if there's any doubt over him starting it'll be lukaku.
    with silva playing through the pain i'm not risking it on him as he might be rested v sunderland, they said he can't train for 2 to 3 days after a match so 2 games in 4 days might be too much for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

When in doub........

Hang on...

YAYA!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Im going with Aguero - im taking the 'if im going to win, then i might as well win big' approach!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Haven't captained (and thus been burned by) Lukaku yet this season, so I have no problem putting it on him this week. Sunderland are woeful and Palace aren't usually good away from home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Lukaku or Baines for me, depends how much of a gambling mood Im in Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ChoiChoi

I promised myself I would never get burned by lukaku again, so get your boots Gnegneri you're my cap baby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Heart says Aguero.
    Head says Lukaku
    Inner crazy person says Baines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

FHFC wrote: »
    Heart says Aguero.
    Head says Lukaku
    Inner crazy person says Baines.

this all means, captain yaya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I've captained Lukaku a number of times and been burned by him, but that's a stupid reason not to captain him if I analyse it and reckon he's the most likely to score high. So yeah probably Romelu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭TaytoCrisps

Only 20 off the top in my money league so Lukaku as i think the guy on top will as well. not a time to gamble when the rest of my team is stronger than his. pulled in a 100 point gap since 31 :)

Rikand wrote: »
    this all means, captain yaya!

Not really feeling it for Yaya.

Aguero back on penalties. Possible return to 2 up front. But most of all has a knock and will probably be patched up to play against Liverpool and therefore I think there's a risk he could be rested for Sunderland.

Think I'll probably do Aguero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Aguero is too much of a risk IMO. Just having him should be enough of a differential if he performs.

Lukaku is winning the FFS poll, is in good form and I reckon both my rivals will go for him. That's enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

I've been (one of) Yaya's first advocate(s) on here! Even for home captaincies lately considering his phenomenal home scoring rate. But I think, for what I remember, I never pulled the trigger on him myself. Because there always was a "safer" option. For this DGW, if Aguero wasn't back and if he was not carrying a knock, I would really consider him. So that's 2 "ifs". Also his monster score for GW31 included 2 pens. He's not going to have the opportunity to score 2 pens every weeks.

On the other hand, Lukaku's on form in an in form team which has 2 handy fixtures and is fighting for a top 4 finish without any Cup distraction. He also seems safe from Martinez' rotations.

In the end the million £ question is always the same: is it really worth taking a captaincy risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Liam2012

iroced wrote: »
    I've been (one of) Yaya's first advocate(s) on here! Even for home captaincies lately considering his phenomenal home scoring rate. But I think, for what I remember, I never pulled the trigger on him myself. Because there always was a "safer" option. For this DGW, if Aguero wasn't back and if he was not carrying a knock, I would really consider him. So that's 2 "ifs". Also his monster score for GW31 included 2 pens. He's not going to have the opportunity to score 2 pens every weeks.

On the other hand, Lukaku's on form in an in form team which has 2 handy fixtures and is fighting for a top 4 finish without any Cup distraction. He also seems safe from Martinez' rotations.

In the end the million £ question is always the same: is it really worth taking a captaincy risk?

I agree with your assessment, and while I don't have Aguero yet, I am toying with the idea of bringing him in for Sturridge. However I don't think I'd captain him. I don't think even Pellegrini knows how many minutes Aguero will play over the 2 games this week. And while I acknowledge that in the past Aguero has needed limited minutes to put up points, he is coming back from a long lay off so he has no form. If would be a massive risk to give him the arm band.

As you say, the same factors affect Yaya too as Aguero directly influences his potential returns.

I'll be putting it on Lukaku this week. Form, fixtures, more or less guaranteed 180 minutes. I think it's the lowest risk option this week. Unless someone can talk me off the ledge!

Aguero is the ultimate risk to have in your team this week, never mind captain him. You'd wanna be seriously chasing to do it I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Don't have Lukaku so I have no clue who to go with. Even though he only has one game I'm still tempted by Suarez, he can score more points in one game than most can do in two when he's on form.

I could really use a Suarez blank this week since #1 in my league never takes the armband off him. I just checked and Luis has only blanked twice in 20 GWs :eek:. Unreal.

HighClass wrote: »
    Don't have Lukaku so I have no clue who to go with. Even though he only has one game I'm still tempted by Suarez, he can score more points in one game than most can do in two when he's on form.

That's right. Though it's a high stake tough game to come. It could be a title decider!

Don't you have anyone from City you could take a punt on?
    Despite what I said about Yaya, if you don't have Lukaku he may be a more than decent option. Hopefully we'll know more about his knock before the deadline.
    Silva seems too risky with Pellegrini stating he's been playing through pain for a while and needing 2 to 3 days off to recover each time. I'd say he's a major risk for City's second game.
    Nasri could be your man if you have him. I never liked the player but he showed some good form lately and is desperate to go to the WC (though I think it's too late for him now)

Or an Everton defender? I'm not a fan of captaining defenders and Everton do concede goals often but they certainly have a chance of a CS this week plus the added attacking potential of Coleman and Baines if you own one of them.

Or an Everton defender? I'm not a fan of captaining defenders and Everton do concede goals often but they certainly have a chance of a CS this week plus the added attacking potential of Coleman and Baines if you own one of them.

Could be a very good shout if chasing a league in fairness. I remember two years back when Spurs had a DGW and Benoit Assou Ekotto (anyone remember him!?) outscored even Bale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

It could well work out to captain Suarez but with your captain finished his business for the week on Sunday and City and Everton playing again on Wednesday it would be a massive anticlimax and source of undue worry unless he scores 15 points.

Oh, and BAE was one of the best full backs in the league for a few years, no surprise he scored well in a DGW.

It could well work out to captain Suarez but with your captain finished his business for the week on Sunday and City and Everton playing again on Wednesday it would be a massive anticlimax and source of undue worry unless he scores 15 points.

Oh, and BAE was one of the best full backs in the league for a few years, no surprise he scored well in a DGW.

He was a huge forum favourite here two years ago under Redknapp. Hard to believe he's now in the Championship at QPR. I couldn't believe last year when Spurs sent him on loan.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Aguero is too much of a risk IMO. Just having him should be enough of a differential if he performs.

Lukaku is winning the FFS poll, is in good form and I reckon both my rivals will go for him. That's enough for me.

You see I know this is sound advice, and as I said my head says Lukaku. None of the lads I'm chasing have him but I'd expect a few Sturridge-Lukaku transfers. Hard to trust him, but probably the safest move. The fact that I'm only 20 off the pace means less need to take risks like when I was 60+ behind.

Regarding City players game time my gut is that with Yaya and Silva carrying hurts one of them is likely to get a rest against Sunderland, while I'd more expect Aguero to get rested v West Brom in GW35

Btw, if a man was up for taking a risk there's a lot to be said for Baines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Suarez

You see I know this is sound advice, and as I said my head says Lukaku. None of the lads I'm chasing have him but I'd expect a few Sturridge-Lukaku transfers. Hard to trust him, but probably the safest move. The fact that I'm only 20 off the pace means less need to take risks like when I was 60+ behind.

Regarding City players game time my gut is that with Yaya and Silva carrying hurts one of them is likely to get a rest against Sunderland, while I'd more expect Aguero to get rested v West Brom in GW35

Aguero is too much of a risk for captain though for me. As I said above, just having him should be a decent differential. The last time he played regularly was back in December. That's now 4 months ago.

I'd go with Baines or Coleman, as suggested by iroced above, as a risk over Aguero. At least you're guaranteed playing time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Not sure who to go with- Coleman the probably safe option. Will get a clean sheet, maybe two and always good for a goal/assist. Aguero-Big risk but my rivals don't have him. He could destroy Sunderland and even a 60 min 2 pointer against Pool would do or Lukaku , between safe and a risk, could score nothing or could go big. I'm a long way behind so I might as well gamble on Aguero.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Btw, if a man was up for taking a risk there's a lot to be said for Baines.

I am that only man at the moment! I thought he was back to his best against Arsenal and fancy them for at least one clean sheet in this gameweek.

Dearg81 wrote: »
    I am that only man at the moment! I thought he was back to his best against Arsenal and fancy them for at least one clean sheet in this gameweek.

Tempted by baines but have already doubled up on Everton defence so couldn't handle it if they won 4 1 twice!! Too many eggs in the same basket big time.

Will listen to reason and do Lukaku (c) and let Aguero and Evertons clean sheets be my differential.

• Advertisement

Tempted by baines but have already doubled up on Everton defence so couldn't handle it if they won 4 1 twice!! Too many eggs in the same basket big time.
    Same. I wouldn't be able to decide between Baines or Coleman captain in that case; I also never captain defenders :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Dzeko for me.

BALLS OF STEEL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

i'd be happy to go with lambert if this were a single gw

brought lukaku in to captain him which in my experience
    having him means he will do sweet fa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I voted Lukaku, although I'm still debating between him and Dzeko.
    Practically last chance to get to closer to first (currently I'm second) in a friendly league we have at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Im going lukaku best fixtures and guaranteed to start both games. Lukaku and ade are much maligned around these parts both offer great value IMO. People just need to realise they are not 11million + FF players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Went with Suarez. Hardest captain choice so far of this year for me! Liverpool scoring for fun at Anfield this year, v Arsenal and Spurs coming to mind, plus City well dodgy at back, think Suarez and Sturridge will rip Demich a new one!! A bit surprised Luk (have him myself) has over 50% of vote, away to S'land who are TYPICALLY pretty tight at the back at home while Everton haven't been pretty prolific on the road, and then CP who are on a good run themselves. Anyway we'll see I just have a feeling Liverpool are going to comprehensively beat City, the whole 25 yr anniversary for the 96 will have emotions high, and I think we'll be inspired, there's growing belief that this is our year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭duffman21

Ah... I dont know who to captain.

I've given the armband to Lukaku 4 times this season to try and pick up extra points and it backfired every time. He did nothing each time.

I have Yaya and Dzeko also but not sure if both will play both matches this gameweek.

For some mad reason I'm looking at Barkley as capt as I doubt anybody else will pick him in my league and I just dont want to be let down again by Lukaku.....

bizarre - totalfpl poll - Suarez 44%, Lukaku 7.5%
    fsa poll - Suarez 7.5%, Lukaku 50%!

Lukaku-love a-plenty on the boards!!

manual_man wrote: »
    bizarre - totalfpl poll - Suarez 44%, Lukaku 7.5%
    fsa poll - Suarez 7.5%, Lukaku 50%!

Lukaku-love a-plenty on the boards!!

You looked at the GW33 poll :p. They haven't updated their captain poll tab.

The one from GW34 is found from the first live news link and it's: Lukaku 46%, Suarez 4% ;) (=> http://polldaddy.com/poll/7958110/)

You looked at the GW33 poll :p. They haven't updated their captain poll tab.

The one from GW34 is found from the first live news link and it's: Lukaku 46%, Suarez 4% ;) (=> http://polldaddy.com/poll/7958110/)

Suarez 4% :eek: Frankly i'm quite disgusted with that

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭John83

I'm chasing second place in both my paid leagues. Teams are quite similar and both will undoubtedly captain Lukaku. I need some sort of differential.

Suarez it is :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Liam2012

I don't understand how Suarez got 4%. He only has one fixture and it's against Man City who have improved a lot at the back. He's a risky pick this week imo. I'd have Lukaku and Yaya ahead of him and maybe even Baines.

If it's any consolation he's on 5% on FFS poll :p...

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

Gonna wait and see what Manuel has to say later. Only 13 behind the leader in my league so there's not really much point in me taking a risk.... but it's Aguero... and its a DGW!

Dang, Sunday night Morning I was thinking Yaya. Had not considered City away Liverpool at the time.

After head scratching till last night over transfers, and finalizing the line up, on selecting Yaya as Captain, and Lukaku, as Vice-Captain, I am now thinking the other way round.

Oh this game does my head in at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I took a deep breath and made Baines my captain.

On their day, Sunderland and Palace can be solid at the back and frustrate the likes of Lukaku, They offer very little in the way of going forward though so I can easily see Baines picking up two clean sheets in addition to his attacking contribution!

AdMMM wrote: »

On their day, Sunderland and Palace can be solid at the back and frustrate the likes of Lukaku, They offer very little in the way of going forward though so I can easily see Baines picking up two clean sheets in addition to his attacking contribution!
    Don't do it.

AdMMM wrote: »

Same could be said for Coleman, thats now added to my frustration over this stupid game.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Going against the grain for a change. The auld fpl favourite Baines gets the armband for me. 100k in the world for last few weeks so **** it might as well take a chance and he has rarely let me down too

**** it, I'm going against all my better judgement and captaining Aguero. I just don't fancy Lukaku's chances enough.

CSF wrote: »
    **** it, I'm going against all my better judgement and captaining Aguero. I just don't fancy Lukaku's chances enough.

No I'm not. I need to stop getting overexcited with myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement