Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anybody make sense of this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

macker33 wrote: »
    Video says its an ecig exploding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOj94egVQ-0

The bell-end/s had their ecig cable plugged into an iPad wall-wart.

Devices rated to be charged @ 0.4-0.5A shouldn't be charged at 2.0A. Zero ecig error and pathetic that they're demonising the company about it (even if it is Totally Wicked). Absolute cunts (not that they're so awful for making the mistake, but to profit from it the way they have afterwards, rationalising their own ignorance ---> scum).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

grindle wrote: »
    The bell-end/s had their ecig cable plugged into an iPad wall-wart.

Devices rated to be charged @ 0.4-0.5A shouldn't be charged at 2.0A. Zero ecig error and pathetic that they're demonising the company about it (even if it is Totally Wicked). Absolute cunts (not that they're so awful for making the mistake, but to profit from it the way they have afterwards, rationalising their own ignorance ---> scum).

Sorry Grindle, can you explain that scenario a wee bit more, now it doesn't effect me, am mod'd out off it!!.. But what shouldn't wee/they plug their e-cig chargers in to!,Thank You.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

The last thing the world wants to hear is scare stories about ecig.

Thanks for the info, will help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

ardle1 wrote: »
    Sorry Grindle, can you explain that scenario a wee bit more, now it doesn't effect me, am mod'd out off it!!.. But what shouldn't wee/they plug their e-cig chargers in to!,Thank You.

Any charger over 0.5 Amps should not be used to charge an ego battery. Every charger has the amp rating printed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glicster

Any charger over 0.5 Amps should not be used to charge an ego battery. Every charger has the amp rating printed on it.

The charger(plug part) i bought from a reputable online vender here is rated at 1amp and havr used it for maybe 6mnts without any problems. Does the charging lead not regulate down the amperage?

And can you not charge a battery im relation to its capacity. ie, 1100mah can be charged at 1amp,2000mah at 2amp? Im getting this from a hobby i was involved in but saying that the chemistry of the batteries i was using then were NIMH and lithium polymer. Some of my lipos could be charged at 5c,meaning a 1000mah batt i could charge at 5amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I have used chargers rated at 2A to charge Egos......I don't think the fault lies with the charger, the device should have a built in limiter to prevent this happening, if not....well...

Usb charging has become so common for so many things nowadays that most definitely the onus has to be on the device manufacturer to ensure that the device has regulated charging.

I have even taken to buying extension leads that have built in usb chargers and have been putting Usb chargers in different locations that I work in so I do not have to carry chargers all the time.

If this was an ecigarette then the ecigarette manufacturer is at fault here.

glicster wrote: »
    The charger(plug part) i bought from a reputable online vender here is rated at 1amp and havr used it for maybe 6mnts without any problems. Does the charging lead not regulate down the amperage?

Not sure TBH. I don't use egos anymore but always advise against using phone chargers over 0.5A, just to be on the safe side.

dePeatrick is correct also, the batteries may not always be the safest. But with so many variations of egos and dodgy batteries knocking around my advice is still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glicster

dePeatrick is correct also, the batteries may not always be the safest. But with so many variations of egos and dodgy batteries knocking around my advice is still the same.

Suppose edging on the side of caution is always advisable

Bloody eCigs....a Legacy design....would love to see the end of them tbh.....

• Advertisement

The TW eGos are genuine Joyetech and come with their own charger and their own wall-wart and instructions to use only those.

The fact that we have to idiot-proof everything only indicates the amount of idiots there are, not that the manufacturer did anything wrong.
    If they were using the pass-through function to charge it on the bottom slot via USB then they're missing the step-down regulation and the battery will take as much as the cable will allow the charger to give, which would be twice the charge recommended. The part that screws onto the top of an eGo has a step-down, the random cable powering from the bottom doesn't and shouldn't have to because an eGo battery clearly isn't an iPad, it's a small battery with it's own small-battery-approved plug.

The TW eGos are genuine Joyetech and come with their own charger and their own wall-wart and instructions to use only those.

The fact that we have to idiot-proof everything only indicates the amount of idiots there are, not that the manufacturer did anything wrong.
    If they were using the pass-through function to charge it on the bottom slot via USB then they're missing the step-down regulation and the battery will take as much as the cable will allow the charger to give, which would be twice the charge recommended. The part that screws onto the top of an eGo has a step-down, the random cable powering from the bottom doesn't and shouldn't have to because an eGo battery clearly isn't an iPad, it's a small battery with it's own small-battery-approved plug.

Ahhh, so the egit, plugged a suitable 'fitting' into his battery straight from the plug! But did not use the wee cable that comes with all ego set ups, is that it in lay-man terms!?.... Wouldn't even dream off doing that.... Not the batteries fault, if this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭accaguest

Edited due to karmic fears.

My thoughts and prayers are with all concerned.

Ahhh, so the egit, plugged a suitable 'fitting' into his battery straight from the plug! But did not use the wee cable that comes with all ego set ups, is that it in lay-man terms!?.... Wouldn't even dream off doing that.... Not the batteries fault, if this is the case.

No this was clearly a failure of the device to recognise and control the amount of current it could safely take, I see a rapid recall on the way with these....or at least should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭accaguest

I shouldn't be taking the p1ss really, very dangerous, dePeatrick right about a recall if it's the battery's fault.

I'm a bit anal when it comes to charging the batteries, mostly out of trying to extend the life rather than an awareness that they might actually explode. Would still prefer if it was reported as an exploding battery rather than an exploding ecig just to keep the hysteria at bay but I suppose they're technically correct.

dePeatrick wrote: »
    No this was clearly a failure of the device to recognise and control the amount of current it could safely take, I see a rapid recall on the way with these....or at least should be.

oh, so if I wire up my after-market car fog lights to the mains in my house, and when they immediately burn out, I should return them and ask for a refund?!?! Huh....btw I do agree there should be some sort off current recognition system in every electronic product....

oh, so if I wire up my after-market car fog lights to the mains in my house, and when they immediately burn out, I should return them and ask for a refund?!?! Huh....btw I do agree there should be some sort off current recognition system in every electronic product....

I agree with part of that Ardle, if you wire your car fog lights into your house mains then you deserve the Darwin Award.

This is a domestic power supply issue though, Fog lights for a car do not have 13Amp plugs on them as standard, kettles, irons, fridges etc etc do....there are not many "plug-in" variations in a domestic household. 13A sockets being number 1, after that probably Coax sockets for your cable TV...no chance of plugging them anywhere except where they go.......see where I am going :)

After this USB charging is the common method of "plugging" things in around a house....I have counted 10 different devices (so far) in my house that require USB charging.....now everything that uses USB has some sort of circuitry to decide several things, is the batter charged or not, when it is charged and how to regulate the current as it charges....

This Ego had faulty circuitry, not the first one to have, and it definitely will not be the last if the ecig community stick their collective heads in the sand and refuse to face the facts.

I checked in my local Hostelry this evening just to see, The (cute) Bargirl told me that people frequently ask her to charge phones, tablets and eCigs and she just sticks them into the charger they have behind the Bar and contuines on...
    I asked her what Amp the charger was and she laughed at me......no idea.....

This is how people operate and this is why domestic electrics/Electronics are designed around people.......people who are not Electrical/Electronic engineers....people who just want to get on with their own professions and rely on the people in others to make this a safe world to live in......:)

accaguest wrote: »
    I shouldn't be taking the p1ss really, very dangerous, dePeatrick right about a recall if it's the battery's fault.

I'm a bit anal when it comes to charging the batteries, mostly out of trying to extend the life rather than an awareness that they might actually explode. Would still prefer if it was reported as an exploding battery rather than an exploding ecig just to keep the hysteria at bay but I suppose they're technically correct.

An exploding Bargirl......Am very glad she was not hurt and am wondering if this will be quietly hushed up with Totally Wicked paying a fee for her to stay quiet about it.....sure they have a disclaimer but bad publicity is just that.....

It was the device that was at fault here despite what anyone else tries to suggest, and not the first one to explode and won't be the last unless the manufacturers get their ear bent.....but nowadays the manufacturers are very distant from the vendors who sell them....still though, we as vapers should make our concerns felt even if only on here, we are the guinea pigs after all.....:D

...am wondering if this will be quietly hushed up with Totally Wicked paying a fee for her to stay quiet about it.....sure they have a disclaimer but bad publicity is just that.....
    She's already prostituted herself to the Daily Mail for a pay-packet.
    It was the device that was at fault here despite what anyone else tries to suggest...
    Nope. I've had a fair few synths and workstations throughout the years that share the same DC jack size and one time I dumbly plugged the wart of one synth into the back of another out of sheer stupid laziness. Turned it on, it went pop.
    Definitely not Novation's fault that I was an idiot. Placating idiocy might be a safe option for companies to choose but forcing them to presume everybody's an arsehole isn't the right thing to do. If they are forced it has to be recognised that there should be a stupid-tax on the products in the forms of extra money and slightly larger devices (much larger if it's a cigalike... Or, what used to be a cigalike.)
    Maybe an optional add-on for people who might have an idea that they're likely to be dim with a certan product? Inflated insurance plans to be sold side-by-side with ecigs to cover the cost?

She's already prostituted herself to the Daily Mail for a pay-packet.

Nope. I've had a fair few synths and workstations throughout the years that share the same DC jack size and one time I dumbly plugged the wart of one synth into the back of another out of sheer stupid laziness. Turned it on, it went pop.
    Definitely not Novation's fault that I was an idiot. Placating idiocy might be a safe option for companies to choose but forcing them to presume everybody's an arsehole isn't the right thing to do. If they are forced it has to be recognised that there should be a stupid-tax on the products in the forms of extra money and slightly larger devices (much larger if it's a cigalike... Or, what used to be a cigalike.)
    Maybe an optional add-on for people who might have an idea that they're likely to be dim with a certan product? Inflated insurance plans to be sold side-by-side with ecigs to cover the cost?

Synths and workstations are not domestic devices Grindle, they are pro equipment that normally only qualified engineers deal with...and even then....:D

Ego type batteries have power regulation, it failed here and IMO would have failed anyway regardless of what charger it was plugged into, we are all at the mercy of Eastern manufacturers no matter what we buy nowadays and at the end of the day, I can only find about a half dozen reports of eCigs blowing up so far...

The onus is most definitely on the manufacturers to keep decent standards, Ego devices will be plugged into higher Amp chargers today, tomorrow and then some....

But blaming the person who does this on their own stupidity is just wrong....
    It is up to the consumers, us, to put pressure on the vendors who in turn put pressure on the wholesales etc etc etc....

The manufacturers are very fast at modifying devices according to consumers preferences, stunningly fast in fact, but it seems disingenuous when the ecig community does not call this for what it is....a faulty device....

• Advertisement
Advertisement