Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zakynthos or Kusadasi for start of August??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭slimgsi

hi guys, hopeful to go to Zakynthos in june, just wondering the easiest way to go about it, cant find holiday deals from Ireland and ive never booked a holiday any other way, any advice would be appreciated..

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

slimgsi wrote: »
    hi guys, hopeful to go to Zakynthos in june, just wondering the easiest way to go about it, cant find holiday deals from Ireland and ive never booked a holiday any other way, any advice would be appreciated..

thanks

We're heading in June, bought flights only from Falcon and booked a great apartment that we know about.

You can do it that way or fly via Brussels wit Ryanair or via Gatwick with Easy jet.

Just looked at the Falcon site and flying out on June 10th, returning on 17th direct from Dublin is 319rtn, a GREAT price, we paid 460 but that was for 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭slimgsi

scudzilla wrote: »
    We're heading in June, bought flights only from Falcon and booked a great apartment that we know about.

You can do it that way or fly via Brussels wit Ryanair or via Gatwick with Easy jet.

Just looked at the Falcon site and flying out on June 10th, returning on 17th direct from Dublin is 319rtn, a GREAT price, we paid 460 but that was for 2 weeks

thanks a million, just seen those flights, must get them booked. anyone suggest the best resort to stay in now, looking somewhere quiet(ish) for me and my girlfriend to stay, with a hotel on the beach perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Squeakf99

I've never been to Kusadasi but Zakynthos is absolutely beautiful. I stayed in Hotel Zakantha Beach with my boyfriend in Sept. a couple of years ago and travelled the island on a moped for about 15eur a day. The hotel was nice and right on a really small beach

slimgsi wrote: »
    thanks a million, just seen those flights, must get them booked. anyone suggest the best resort to stay in now, looking somewhere quiet(ish) for me and my girlfriend to stay, with a hotel on the beach perhaps?

I stay in Kalamaki, most hotels there are around 1/2mile walk to the beach, Vanessa is good but Dias is better, pm me if you want contact details for Dias, Vanessa can be booked on booking.com.

It's a quiet (ish) resort but not dead, and Laganas is only 2 miles away if ya wanna go out for clubs etc (but it really is a kip)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

Has anyone been to zakynthos in September? That's when I'm looking to go with the oh, just wondering will everything still be open and the tours on etc? I saw online that you can only really see the turtles til July, not sure if that's true! Also,is it just falcon holidays that Go there? Because the flights alone are around 400 per person, or including a hotel 530! Thank you

Has anyone been to zakynthos in September? That's when I'm looking to go with the oh, just wondering will everything still be open and the tours on etc? I saw online that you can only really see the turtles til July, not sure if that's true! Also,is it just falcon holidays that Go there? Because the flights alone are around 400 per person, or including a hotel 530! Thank you

We've been there 3 times in September, everything is still open, as for the turtles they are still there but nowhere near as many, they've nested and most have gone off. You'll still see them if you go on a rip, like the submarine.

Falcon are the only one's who do Zante from Ireland, it'll be better for ya just to book flight only and book the hotel direct, will be a bit cheaper too probably

We've been there 3 times in September, everything is still open, as for the turtles they are still there but nowhere near as many, they've nested and most have gone off. You'll still see them if you go on a rip, like the submarine.

Falcon are the only one's who do Zante from Ireland, it'll be better for ya just to book flight only and book the hotel direct, will be a bit cheaper too probably

That's brilliant thanks so much! The prices are strange,it seems to be about 400 for flights or 530 for flights and hotel for the week...the only cheap hotels on falcon are in lagintos I think it's called,which I have heard isn't the nicest part of the island! Have you done any of the day trips, like to Athens or Olympia? I'm excited now!

That's brilliant thanks so much! The prices are strange,it seems to be about 400 for flights or 530 for flights and hotel for the week...the only cheap hotels on falcon are in lagintos I think it's called,which I have heard isn't the nicest part of the island! Have you done any of the day trips, like to Athens or Olympia? I'm excited now!

Not done Athens as it's an overnight one, Olympia is a full day, leaving around 6am but WELL worth it.

DO NOT stay in Laganas, it's just club, club, pub, club.

If you get the flights book a hotel through booking.com, a week at The Vanessa (really nice) in Kalamaki is around 260euro, taxi from airport is 12euro

• Advertisement

The Vanessa is really cheap and looks way nicer than the places in the package,Thanks a million! Any other suggestions for must do's would be great too thank you

I'd recommend renting a scooter or quad rather than a car, it's much more fun and you're out in the air. There are so many absolutely beautiful beaches to explore, definitely the best I've ever seen. Also, go for a wander inland you'll find cute little villages that aren't overrun with tourists. When doing this myself and my boyfriend happened on the biggest flag in the world, I can't even remember where it was but the area was really pretty. I'd recommend snorkelling and scuba diving too. Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Squeakf99 wrote: »
    I'd recommend renting a scooter or quad rather than a car, it's much more fun and you're out in the air. There are so many absolutely beautiful beaches to explore, definitely the best I've ever seen. Also, go for a wander inland you'll find cute little villages that aren't overrun with tourists. When doing this myself and my boyfriend happened on the biggest flag in the world, I can't even remember where it was but the area was really pretty. I'd recommend snorkelling and scuba diving too. Enjoy!
    +1
    We had the best day quad biking around the island and found the biggest "Greek" flag in the world...

fletch wrote: »
    +1
    We had the best day around the island and found the biggest "Greek" flag in the world...

Aww no I always thought it was the biggest flag in the world, I'm devastated!!!

Be very wary of hiring a Quad, if you have an accident chances are you will not be covered on your insurance as they class it as an extreme sport!! Scooters are ok but not ideal for going round the whole island as some of the beaches are down pretty steep roads.

Personal opinion but i prefer the car, throw yer gear in the boot and just head off

I'm just back and have to say, I am in love with the island and the people!

Weather was perfect. Hired quad for 35 euros and didn't have to be dropped back till 9pm. Didn't take a map and went round the island finding idyllic beaches and mountain tavernas. Saw a few snakes too!

We ummed and ahhed about which boat trip to take. Eventually went on the all day pirate ship for 25pp. Captain was amazing, sailed his tall ship right up to a blue cave, the front of the ship was in the cave and the mast nearly touching the cliff. Also stopped at smugglers cove, WOW!

Highly recommend zakynthos to everyone. We will be back :)

• Advertisement

I'm just back and have to say, I am in love with the island and the people!

Weather was perfect. Hired quad for 35 euros and didn't have to be dropped back till 9pm. Didn't take a map and went round the island finding idyllic beaches and mountain tavernas. Saw a few snakes too!

We ummed and ahhed about which boat trip to take. Eventually went on the all day pirate ship for 25pp. Captain was amazing, sailed his tall ship right up to a blue cave, the front of the ship was in the cave and the mast nearly touching the cliff. Also stopped at smugglers cove, WOW!

Highly recommend zakynthos to everyone. We will be back :)

Nice one, where did you stay? See any turtles?

We're heading out in June for a fortnight, can't wait to get outta this kip

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Hey all,

trying to decide on a holiday for myself and the other half. We're looking for something without too many kids (preferably adults only). All inclusive also and after that we aren't too pushed. Been looking through this thread and add a few of the suggested hotels. Any recommended places to check out in Zakynthos? I've found one on Falcon ( here that seems ok but wasn't sure about there being a lot of familys around. Any help would be appreciated

Splinter

Nice one, where did you stay? See any turtles?

We're heading out in June for a fortnight, can't wait to get outta this kip

Stayed in Tsilivi. Didn't see any turtles as we were on a ship but heard from some others that the turtles were on show if you took glass bottomed boat.

@splinter - walked past that hotel few times and it appeared to be well kept. I guess factors to consider as to where kids would be is 1) type of pool 2) hotel entertainment 3) month of the year

Splinter wrote: »
    Hey all,

trying to decide on a holiday for myself and the other half. We're looking for something without too many kids (preferably adults only). All inclusive also and after that we aren't too pushed. Been looking through this thread and add a few of the suggested hotels. Any recommended places to check out in Zakynthos? I've found one on Falcon ( here that seems ok but wasn't sure about there being a lot of familys around. Any help would be appreciated

Splinter

Why All Inclusive? There are pro's and cons but IMO the cons far outweigh the pro's.

Here's a few reasons why i wouldn't entertain it

1. Your 'free' drinks usually stop at midnight, and they're only the local stuff anyway, fine if you're on lager (mythos etc) but the spirits can be a bit dodgy

2. There's so many great restaurants with great prices, why be stuck in the 1 place with a buffet style feeding (a lot do this)

3. By going AI it really hits the local bars/restaurants, before ya know it the whole place will be AI

I know what you mean about avoiding places with too many kids, you'll always get a few whenever ya go, but that risk gets drastically reduced if you go during school time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Splinter wrote: »
    Hey all,
    . Any recommended places to check out in Zakynthos? I've found one on Falcon ( here that seems ok but wasn't sure about there being a lot of familys around. Any help would be appreciated

Splinter

I have stayed in the Zante Maris twice, it used to be a choice of service now it's all inclusive only, great hotel when I was there, not much kids around mostly older English/German people, the bar is lively enough with quiz nights and bingo!, but it does empty after 11 I think when the all inclusive people had to pay extra, I have not been back since it went all inclusive so I'm not sure what the situation is now,
    It's literally on the beach, the staff are nice, the usual scramble for sunbeds still happens though, it's only 5 minutes walk up to the main strip but it's quiet at night because it's down a side road with houses near it,
    I have stayed in the Phoenix beach hotel right next door which was ok but they charged us extra for a fridge and aircon, and the pool is a bit smaller,
    We also stayed in the Alexandra beach hotel, the location is not as good it's around a 20 minute walk to the main strip, but there is a bar and 2 restaurants nearby, it's up a really steep hill though, they have a lovely beach bar but it was empty every night even though the hotel was full!
    Definitely go to Popeyes restaurant and use captain Spiros to see the blue caves and shipwreck!
    Any questions please ask and I will try help.

• Advertisement

For anybody interested flights on June 10th are now only 302euro, that includes all taxes and 20kg hold luggage, 1 week.

Hotel Vanessa is 266Euro through booking.com, that is a GREAT all in price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭uli84

Who are the flights with?

If you don't mind a connecting flight, easyjet have great package deals from Gatwick in June. Flights and Accom (excl transfer) start at stg£187 per person.

The flight leaves at 05:55 so check-in 2hrs before. There is a flight leaving Belfast that arrives in Gatwick at 23:15 so you would have a few hours stopover but Gatwick is a 24hr airport so could fill that time looking round shops, having something to eat. Flight returns around lunchtime so plenty of connections at that time of day.

I just checked the whole lot with easyjet starting from Belfast and total price per person for 9th June starting at stg£311.87 (approx euro €385).

Playabout with different departing airports in the UK and the price of travelling to them (don't forget flight departure times).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

uli84 wrote: »

Thomson Airways operated by a B737-800.

uli84 wrote: »
    Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Thomson Airways operated by a B737-800.

Sorry, should have said, they're with Falcon/First Choice

http://flights.firstchoice.co.uk/en/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Sorry for the bump but I want to say thanks for everyone's input here.
    I'm off to Zakynthos on the 5th-19th (same flight as our OP!) with my girlfriend and another couple and we're absolutely dying for it!

My one regret was the lack of ruins on the island so I'm delighted to hear the trip to Olympia is so cheap!!

Been watching videos on the island the past few months, just a few days and I get to see it myself!

One question on car rental, can anyone recommend a good place?
    Hertz, Europcar, etc seem to be out a I've held my full licence for less than a year so I was thinking somewhere local?
    And what's the story with scooters? Presuming you don't need a licence with them as everyone and their dog seems to rent them...

Thanks again, counting the hours. :)

There are plenty of places in the resorts to hire cars or quads/scooters. The car hire places are separate shop fronts.

I can't speak for car hire but we got a quad for the day. All they wanted was to see a licence. I had mine on me, my boyfriend didnt have his but he was the driver. The quad hire place was fine with this.

It's a beautiful island with steep, twisty roads going up, down and across the mountain.

If you have no experience with quads or scooters then possible a jeep or car is for you. JUST DONT SPEED! Enjoy the view, the hidden beaches and the island safely.

Oh, and enjoy your holiday. Lucky so and so ;)

Thought it may be something along those lines, as long as they see something and they can't account for what happens beyond their business.
    Good oul Greece. :pac:

My girlfriend is terrified of quads, she was there with her family about 10 years ago and her aunty broke her arm 10 minutes up the road from where they rented them so I've been told by everyone not to get one, a car for a few days and a scooter for a few seems to be the plan, plenty of experience on two wheels anyway. :)

Thanks and don't worry, I'll enjoy it enough for the both of us. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TheKidHere

Thinking of Zante for me and my girlfriend this summer. Looked at flights with Falcon, does anyone know if any other flights are after been added or is it still just the Falcon one? Recommended hotels? Looking for somewhere central enough with decent night life but not in the middle of it either!

TheKidHere wrote: »
    Thinking of Zante for me and my girlfriend this summer. Looked at flights with Falcon, does anyone know if any other flights are after been added or is it still just the Falcon one? Recommended hotels? Looking for somewhere central enough with decent night life but not in the middle of it either!

I think Falcon are the only ones doing it now.

Define nightlife? :p
    I stayed in Kalamaki, loads of nice food and a short walk to the beach.
    Hope in a taxi for less than 2 minutes and you're in Laganas which is the main clubbing town of the island.
    As well as the clubs, the bars on the beach stay open late into the night and I found them great. You're away from the madness but you can still get a drink, listen to music and watch the moon rise over the bay, feet from the water. It's really great.

Kalamaki to Zante town, again great nightlife with a more mature scene, about 5 minutes in a taxi.

There's load of great places all over the island but I didn't get as much time as I'd have liked exploring. Hired a car for 5 days, should have just had it the week. Easy to drive over there once you get used to the manic style they have. :p

Great place for a holiday though, I'd recommend it 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 TheKidHere

CianRyan wrote: »
    I think Falcon are the only ones doing it now.

Define nightlife? :p
    I stayed in Kalamaki, loads of nice food and a short walk to the beach.
    Hope in a taxi for less than 2 minutes and you're in Laganas which is the main clubbing town of the island.
    As well as the clubs, the bars on the beach stay open late into the night and I found them great. You're away from the madness but you can still get a drink, listen to music and watch the moon rise over the bay, feet from the water. It's really great.

Kalamaki to Zante town, again great nightlife with a more mature scene, about 5 minutes in a taxi.

There's load of great places all over the island but I didn't get as much time as I'd have liked exploring. Hired a car for 5 days, should have just had it the week. Easy to drive over there once you get used to the manic style they have. :p

Great place for a holiday though, I'd recommend it 100%.

Thanks for all the info! What apartments/hotel did you stay in, doing a bit of looking myself but any help would be appreciated!

TheKidHere wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info! What apartments/hotel did you stay in, doing a bit of looking myself but any help would be appreciated!

We were in Athena Apartments. Very basic but clean, cheap and central. A small family run spot, very friendly atmosphere.
    You have access to any pool in the town too as they don't have their own. They have free wifi but to get it you'll probably have to sit down in the "court yard", everyone seemed to gather there at about 7pm for a half hour or so every night. Haha

Friends of ours stayed in Zante Atlantis which is 500m off the Laganas strip. While the room was a bit better furnished and they had a pool on site, you did you have take into account that there was loud music till about 3am every night and piles of drunk teens from the UK. When you're at the bar it was grand, the pool was great during the day but I don't think I could have stayed there for two weeks.

Other spots I didn't stay in but visited, seemed more mature and where I'd probably stay if I was to go back are Tsilivi and Argassi.

If you have a licence, hire a car for a few days from one of the smaller local places. It's a small island, really easy to find your way around. The drivers are mental but if you can adapt quickly and just drive like they do, it all just works grand. Haha

The toss up for best beach goes between Kalamaki-Laganas which is about 5km long, crystal clear, warm water with little boat activity is its protected, though you can rent speed boats for the day to explore (do this!! Go to Cubanaros and rent a good boat for the day, not a shifty one from the lads on the beach.)
    The beach is so long that you can have a half a kilomiter stretch all to your self, you can hang out with there are people dotted about or up by Laganas you can be right in the middle of what I called the day time rave. Music, drink, dancing all on the beach and in the sea.
    The best food on the beach is up closer to the Laganas (rave) end.

Aaand Banana beach, which is the water sports beach.
    Banana boats, paragliding, wake boarding, a load of inflatables and 4 poster beds on the beach with waiters to bring you food and drinks. I was only there for one day at the end of the holiday and I regretted it deeply.

Getting long winded, I could ****e on all day! Haha

Advertisement