Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supporters - most frenzied

• 09-04-2014 11:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭

Who do you reckon have the most vocal/wildest/colourful/atmospheric/frenzied supporters ? - thought Bayern were super tonight .

Four categories :- English club /Irish club/ European club /International

heres my attempt :-

English - West Ham

Irish - Dundalk

European - Galatasary

International - Brazil/Ireland/England

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

England - Crystal Palace

Ireland - not sure any outstanding winner clubs have their moments

Europe - Juventus or Roma v Lazio derby I was at in 2008 was v good too both fans

International - Brazil/Holland/Sweden/ Ireland (when away from home)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

thebaz wrote: »
    Who do you reckon have the most vocal/wildest/colourful/atmospheric/frenzied supporters ? - thought Bayern were super tonight .

Four categories :- English club /Irish club/ European club /International

heres my attempt :-

English - West Ham

Irish - Dundalk

European - Galatasary

International - Brazil/Ireland/England

Irish fans abroad yes but we are poxy at home. The scots are quite colourful but Polish get my vote thought they were brilliant in both Croke Park and Lansdowne.

Dundalk are brutal, don't travel offer nothing to the party, Bohs/Rovers/Cork

Been told United fans away is a sight to behold

European - Any of the Ultra dominated teams that don't feel the need to stab away fans, wouldn't put the Turks anywhere near it as their Hostility is borderline Psychotic and IMO Turkish teams should be ****ed out of European Competition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

major bill wrote: »
    Irish fans abroad yes but we are poxy at home. The scots are quite colourful but Polish get my vote thought they were brilliant in both Croke Park and Lansdowne.

European - Any of the Ultra dominated teams that don't feel the need to stab away fans, wouldn't put the Turks anywhere near it as their Hostility is borderline Psychotic and IMO Turkish teams should be ****ed out of European Competition.

We bring more fans to away games than the same clubs bring to Oriel bar Rovers

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Been following this channel for awhile now, goes with the thread topic.

We bring more fans to away games than the same clubs bring to Oriel bar Rovers

theres a reason why away fans don't travel to Oriel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Have had the pleasure to be at an England game at a would cup.

Great fans, they bring great life to the place and they are far more original in there songs and chants than the Irish will ever be

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

You mean they don't just chant 'You'll never beat the English' repeatedly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Greece or Turkey imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

You mean they don't just chant 'You'll never beat the English' repeatedly?

I assume you were over in Poland for the Euro's then? Utter rubbish, Irish fans have plenty of original songs. It's just unfortunate that it only comes across well at away matches because the vast majority of the home fans are terrible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Nobody mentioning South Americans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Augmerson wrote: »
    Nobody mentioning South Americans?

Search for "Gremio avalanche" on YouTube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

What an absolute mess of a post. You say the Irish fans are poxy at home but think the Poles are brilliant as you witnessed them in TWO away games??

Dundalk bring far more travelling support than Bohs or Cork. Only Rovers would have a bigger away fan base. Bohs travelling support is a fraction of what it used to be and Cork suffer due to geographical reasons.

Been told?? Hardly the basis of giving an opinion

Any ultra dominated teams? There are hundreds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

English club: Liverpool, especially a European night at Anfield

Irish club: whoever is on the up at the time really, so many ups and downs with clubs over the years. Always found Rovers fans to be up there though.

European club: Galatasary for sheer intimidation

International: Irish away or South American teams playing at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

doncarlos wrote: »
    Dundalk bring far more travelling support than Bohs or Cork. Only Rovers would have a bigger away fan base. Bohs travelling support is a fraction of what it used to be and Cork suffer due to geographical reasons.

Dundalk do not have the second biggest away following. I've never seen more than 60/70 at the Cross in the last 4 years. You've mentioned geography, and you are right, its easy to bring 500 fans 45 minutes down a motorway to Dublin, and I'd hazard a guess a good bulk of them would be working/studying in Dublin anyway.

Going on the last 4 years, the average biggest following to the Cross would be: Rovers, Pats, Sligo, Bohs, Limerick, and Shels. The Dubs love a good away trip to Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Cork are good fans in LOI. Great attendances recently in LOI.

Argentina at home with the tickertape always looks great.

England: Wealdstone FC.

Dortmund make great noise and have good displays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Red Star Belgrade Delije

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

CHealy wrote: »
    Dundalk do not have the second biggest away following. I've never seen more than 60/70 at the Cross in the last 4 years. You've mentioned geography, and you are right, its easy to bring 500 fans 45 minutes down a motorway to Dublin, and I'd hazard a guess a good bulk of them would be working/studying in Dublin anyway.

Going on the last 4 years, the average biggest following to the Cross would be: Rovers, Pats, Sligo, Bohs, Limerick, and Shels. The Dubs love a good away trip to Cork.

Pretty sure Dalk have even on occasion failed to bring ANY fans to the Cross in recent years, I'm thinking the last day of the season a couple of years ago when they were 2nd bottom and looking at a playoff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Dundalk haven't brought many to Rovers in recent years despite being so close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

anncoates wrote: »
    Dundalk haven't brought many to Rovers in recent years despite being so close.
    I know a lot of the older fans refuse to go to Tallaght because they consider it the most dangerous away day in the league (ie thugs outside the ground looking for trouble after the match). Have heard a lot of them say they'd never bring their kids. Dundalk generally take about 150-200 to Tallaght.

Pighead wrote: »
    I know a lot of the older fans refuse to go to Tallaght because they consider it the most dangerous away day in the league (ie thugs outside the ground looking for trouble after the match). Have heard a lot of them say they'd never bring their kids. Dundalk generally take about 150-200 to Tallaght.

Not a pop off you but that is such a rubbish excuse. Its like saying you dont want to come to Cork cause you might drown in the river. An easy out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Not a pop off you but that is such a rubbish excuse. Its like saying you dont want to come to Cork cause you might drown in the river. An easy out.
    How is that comparable? Avoiding walking into a river is generally a tad easier than avoiding a group of youths looking for trouble.

Pighead wrote: »
    I know a lot of the older fans refuse to go to Tallaght because they consider it the most dangerous away day in the league

They're from Dundalk :pac:

How is it a rubbish excuse? There are lots of incidents of Dundalk fans being attacked in Tallaght over past few seasons. It wouldn't stop me going but it's the only ground in the LOI that I don't feel entirely safe visiting.

TINA1984 wrote: »
    Pretty sure Dalk have even on occasion failed to bring ANY fans to the Cross in recent years, I'm thinking the last day of the season a couple of years ago when they were 2nd bottom and looking at a playoff.

True. Like I said earlier geographical reasons. The reasons for Dundalk fans not to travel to Cork are the same as Cork fans not to travel to Dundalk. Have seen Cork fans in the single digits attending Oriel.

True. Like I said earlier geographical reasons. The reasons for Dundalk fans not to travel to Cork are the same as Cork fans not to travel to Dundalk. Have seen Cork fans in the single digits attending Oriel.

The reason Cork fans dont travel to Oriel in numbers is because of the disgraceful away facilities. I've never had a good experience up there in all my years and I am very very slow to spend money on getting 3/4's of the way up the country to watch a game on a ****e pitch in an uncovered terrace/seated area. You cannot say the same for Turners Cross, while it might not be the best away facilities, at least you are in a covered stand in a nice football ground.

And on your point about Tallaght, Cork fans have had plenty of incidents at Rovers, Bohs, Shels, even Pats but we always seem to bring a good crowd to these places for the most part. Rubbish excuse as I said.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

UCD.
    The twelve of us are mad so we are.

In the last few years, the largest at Tallaght would have been Pats, Bohs and Sligo in that order.

anncoates wrote: »
    In the last few years, the largest at Tallaght would have been Pats, Bohs and Sligo in that order.

Teams from Dublin bringing the biggest away fans to another club in Dublin shocker;)

In fairness though Shamrock Rovers bring great crowd to Cork. Bohs are not bad. Dundalk are good considering their general home crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Derry City used to have a great travelling support, at the FAI Cup Semi Final in 2006 they packed out the Jinks Avenue Stand in the Showgrounds and generated a great atmosphere. I'd guess there was well over 1000 Derry fans in Sligo that day. Shamrock Rovers usually bring a good travelling support still.

Outside Ireland, the Brazilian national team's fans always look like they are partying!

When Celtic play at home in Champions League matches the fans are pretty impressive. A stand out game was when they beat Barcelona in 2012, even the Barca players commented on the atmosphere that night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

English Liverpool & United USED to be the best grounds to visit as an away fan for atmosphere late '70's & '80's UNTIL the PL was founded, nowadays they are far too quiet as most of their rivals are. :mad:

European grounds Galatasary, Fenebache, PSG & Roma have the best support at Arsenal away games that I've been to.

International: Went a few Ireland aways over the years but not really much of an international football fan. ;) Too many eegits with shamrock & leprechaun outfits nowadays :mad:

Best Irish supporters are Cork, Limerick & Wexford in the Hurling :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Teams from Dublin bringing the biggest away fans to another club in Dublin shocker;)

In fairness though Shamrock Rovers bring great crowd to Cork. Bohs are not bad. Dundalk are good considering their general home crowd.

:confused::confused:
    Out attendances (average) over last few years
    1,997; 949; 1,355; 1,877; 2,371

Hardly poor in LOI terms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I assume you were over in Poland for the Euro's then? Utter rubbish, Irish fans have plenty of original songs. It's just unfortunate that it only comes across well at away matches because the vast majority of the home fans are terrible.

I wasn't and you're probably right. I just have a particular dislike for that chant, always have.

Actually Germany bring great crowd too.

On the chant thing. Ireland probably have more songs then most countries.

Lets be frank, could anyboy name 5 or more songs sung by national team anywhere?

I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

When Celtic play at home in Champions League matches the fans are pretty impressive. A stand out game was when they beat Barcelona in 2012, even the Barca players commented on the atmosphere that night.

Unlike the rest of the time when their fans turn up dressed as green seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Dundalk's crowd have never stood out for me one way or the other. Derry or Cork would probably have been my shout domestically though I don't know how 'frenzied' any of them have been.

• Advertisement

What an absolute mess of a post. You say the Irish fans are poxy at home but think the Poles are brilliant as you witnessed them in TWO away games??

Been told?? Hardly the basis of giving an opinion

Any ultra dominated teams? There are hundreds.

Dundalk fan

You lot are a sensitive bunch

Bring an away crowd...behave.. as mentioned you judge Bohs on Oriel theres a reason why Bohs don't travel in numbers one being that ****hole you call a ground, it's a deathtrap as some unfortunate Pats fan nearly found out.

I have been to many different games in UK, proper lads from the different teams Ive seen even big up uniteds away support and if you actually read my post through your tears I stated I was told United were the best never said they were and it's hard to judge a country that has 92 Football league clubs so everyone's opinion is going to be questioned.

Crying cos i slagged Dundalk...cringe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

it's hard to judge a country that has 94 Football league clubs so everyone's opinion is going to be questioned.

92 no? Apologies for being a little pedantic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Oriel is my least favourite away trip in the league. I know plenty of Bohs fans who choose not to go any more because of the terrible facilities, being held back for way too long after the game and the general treatment from Gardaí up there. I have noticed these things myself and while it doesn't stop me going, it does factor into the decision of many fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Craziest fans ive witnessed is croatian fans for a hajduk/dynamo derby (banners with personal death messages is pretty 'impressive'). The fans were the most vocal ive ever heard.

The second was a game between poland and russia at euro 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Derry were the best fans we had in Ferrycarrig I think. Not 100s of them but they were great. League of Ireland conga lines should be more common! We're one of the few leagues where you're likely to have the space!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

English - Palace this season hands down.

United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc have died a death since the PL atmosphere wise. Anfield and OT both have sections to try and generate an atmosphere which is terrible to see. Chelsea gave their traditional home end to away fans which says it all.

Irish - Rovers or Bohs from what I have seen.

European - Galatasary & Fenerbahce hands down. That derby is on my bucket list. The German clubs are awesome but a step down from the Turkish clubs.

International - England, Ireland & Holland for me. NI have a super atmosphere at home but they have no form at major competitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

that top 10 was class. number 1 , outstanding

syngindub wrote: »
    that top 10 was class. number 1 , outstanding

Totally agree. Newells Old Boys turn up for training sessions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Red Star v Partizan Belgrade is a bit tasty by all accounts.

Red Star v Partizan Belgrade is a bit tasty by all accounts.

All the old eastern bloc derbies are tasty affairs. I was in Sofia years ago and the police held us back and the city was on lock down. Krakow is supposed to be insane too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

COYW wrote: »
    All the old eastern bloc derbies are tasty affairs. I was in Sofia years ago and the police held us back and the city was on lock down. Krakow is supposed to be insane too.

The Krakow derby is nicknamed The Holy War.

Usually at least one death and multiple stabbings at those derby games.

The fans will also take on fully kitted out riot police as well.

Seen videos and it makes English firm violence look tame.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

English - palace in the prem this year. Leeds have a great away following aswell.
    Ireland - Rovers
    Rather than european I'll go boca juniors I was at one of their games crazy stuff.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQUS6AC93AQ

International- Croatia have a great following.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Interesting article below if anyone's interested:
    Ever since I began to travel Europe to join as many different sets of brilliant football supporters as possible, I have been bombarded with questions on Twitter as to who I believe the best fans in the world to be. It is a fairly impossible question to answer, finances have meant that I have so far been unable to visit South America, and even with how understanding my boss is when it comes to booking time off work, time constraints has prevented me from watching all of the teams that I would like to see such as Dynamo Dresden, Aris, Besiktas and many more.

With these disclaimers hopefully enough to prevent the comments section being full of rage as to why your team was not included, here are the top ten fan groups I have personally witnessed during 2013:

http://supportersnotcustomers.com/2013/12/01/best-fans-of-2013/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Kingp35 wrote: »

I was in Poland
    Thought the singing on the tram out to the Italy game was brilliant, and very original, it did not seem to continue once inside the ground though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement