Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bringing over a top player

• 10-04-2014 12:33am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭

hi all.. On a fundraising idea a friend suggested lately..It basically was thinking of bringing over a top prem league player for an exhibition night contacted a local darts league who seem up for it.. just wondering who would be good to go for and wat fees were likely to incur..local league guy is confident it will e a runner almost guaranteeing me a profit.. bit more suspect myself.any advice greatly appreciated.....?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

rambojon wrote: »
    hi all.. On a fundraising idea a friend suggested lately..It basically was thinking of bringing over a top prem league player for an exhibition night contacted a local darts league who seem up for it.. just wondering who would be good to go for and wat fees were likely to incur..local league guy is confident it will e a runner almost guaranteeing me a profit.. bit more suspect myself.any advice greatly appreciated.....?

Why do you want to make a profit if it's a fundraiser? Last two darts exhibitions I went to had Phil Taylor at one and John Part, James Wade and Dave Chisnall at the other. The 3 lads were good craic but Part was a bit up himself. Taylor was a complete cock imo. Refusing to sign autographs for kids and refused to eat unless it was in a private room by himself.

Best of luck with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

dobman88 wrote: »
    Why do you want to make a profit if it's a fundraiser? Last two darts exhibitions I went to had Phil Taylor at one and John Part, James Wade and Dave Chisnall at the other. The 3 lads were good craic but Part was a bit up himself. Taylor was a complete cock imo. Refusing to sign autographs for kids and refused to eat unless it was in a private room by himself.

Best of luck with it.

hi dob as a fundraiser suggests .. to raise funds( sorry coudnt resist) for an organistion im involved in that's finding things tuff right now. was thinking of new boy wright ...seems light a breath of fresh air to the whole thing.. heard about taylor being a dick alright..really dislike him comes across as arrogant prick on tv imho.. so god knows what hes like off it..

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

we had terry Jenkins around our local a few years back, cracking player and a lovely fella, sound as a pound and was up for the craic!

you are probably looking at around 1500 - 2000 grand I think but not quite sure!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

Cheers Scott.. Loved bully myself when he was going well in top flight.. Just feel snakebite would be good crack.. And flair player compared to some others .. Think he would be closer to 3 grand but could be wrong on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

By all accounts Wright is a quiet enough fella and his personality mightn't match his hair and trousers.

Jenkins would be a good laugh...Mardle too would be up for a bit of fun as would Gary Anderson. Brendan Dolan would be another crowd favourite.

• Advertisement

Saw Wright up close before and he seems nice but quiet.

The ones I'd say would be great craic and would go down well are Anderson and Beaton, though the latter wouldn't have as high a profile. Still, former World Champion and Prem League winner in those two.

Of the older stock, Id say Mardle and Manley, but then again you have a few of those characters to choose from.

The Chisey, Whitlock, Wright types may be quiet. And the Lewis, Wade, Barney and Power ones would be big draws, but suspect more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Duggie2012

lewis seems like a sound bloke who would enjoy the craic id say. would probably be expensive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

~€4,500 for Taylor to do an exhibition IIRC. I would guess that others are a bit cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

rambojon wrote: »
    hi dob as a fundraiser suggests .. to raise funds( sorry coudnt resist) for an organistion im involved in that's finding things tuff right now. was thinking of new boy wright ...seems light a breath of fresh air to the whole thing.. heard about taylor being a dick alright..really dislike him comes across as arrogant prick on tv imho.. so god knows what hes like off it..

I know it's a fundraiser but it was this part that worried me
    local league guy is confident it will e a runner almost guaranteeing me a profit..

I misunderstood the "me" part. But yeah Peter Wright seems like a laugh. Definitely won a few Irish fans after dying his hair like the tri-colour at the Dublin leg of the PL. And just seems like a general mad fecker up for the craic, would be perfect for a fundraiser imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

But yeah Peter Wright seems like a laugh. Definitely won a few Irish fans after dying his hair like the tri-colour at the Dublin leg of the PL. And just seems like a general mad fecker up for the craic, would be perfect for a fundraiser imo.

Peter Wright is nothing like the person that you see on stage. He is quiet and shy and definitely not a mad fecker. He would be worst one to get out of the Premier League players. Have you ever heard him interviewed? He really struggles in front of the cameras. That on stage persona is a well thought out act to get him more recognition.

I definitely wouldn't book him.

• Advertisement

And just seems like a general mad fecker up for the craic, would be perfect for a fundraiser imo.

He isn't. Or at least not from what I've seen in Killarney. He is quiet and unassuming and very nice, but in a reserved way. He is as he seems in interview, almost indifferent. While he was really nice with fans, he certainly wasn't one of the ones at the bar telling risque jokes. His wife is a hairdresser, hence the look.

Thornton might be good enough fellow, and while he was great craic I'd say he could be fairly tough too if he wasn't in good form.

Now Alex Roy on the other hand...Alex Roy was the life and soul of the party. And Colin Osborne was surprisingly great craic too, cos he just plays in such a cold and measured way.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Outside the top 6, 1k is plenty to be paying, especially when they are on a tour and doing a number of nights. Get 16 players to raise 100 each and get 100 tickets sold at 10 each and that's 1600 profit without sponsors and raffle etc. Those figures could easily be increased. A lot of pros will play 20 x 701 and also 100 tickets is a low estimate. 20 players at 100 each and 200 tickets is 3k profit at least. Be mindful though that accommodation and drinks for pro might have to be covered also

Dean Winstanley is another really sound fellow. But not sure his name will attract the punters, he's kinda gone slightly off the boil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭leoch

met lewis at one and he was a lovely fella nothing was a bother very down to earth and ordinary

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭chickencurry02

Ya Lewis was in galway a couple of weeks ago and is a sound bloke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Ted hankey is great craic. Costs about 1200.

Jamie caven is brilliant aswel. Costs about 650.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭statto25

mackeire wrote: »
    Ted hankey is great craic.

Hankey played an exhibition in Tuam a few years back and he was far from great craic. A mate of mine beat him in a best of 3 and he wouldn't shake his hand at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭triggerharvey

statto25 wrote: »
    Hankey played an exhibition in Tuam a few years back and he was far from great craic. A mate of mine beat him in a best of 3 and he wouldn't shake his hand at the end.

who beat him in tuam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭statto25

A lad from Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭leroythelegend

Swifts Bar in Newbridge have regular exibitions, I've never gone myself but if you give them a shout I'm sure they'd be happy to advise who was popular and good craic.
    I did hear Kevin Painter and Richie Burnett were brilliant craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

statto25 wrote: »

I grew up in North Wales, Hankey lived in Flint at the time, Most Saturdays he'd come down to The Crosville Club and play from midday till around 6pm, he'd charge people 3quid to play him 1001, Quite a few guys always turned up for a few beers and a game. If you beat him he said he'd give ya 50quid

Hankey always used to leave us on 2/300, he was so good, but once a mate called Paul just had one of those games and hammered him, Hankey asked him if he wanted Double or quite, to which Paul said no, Hankey threw 50quid at him and walked out, never to be seen again

Advertisement