Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orion SpaceProbe 3 Equatorial for first telescope.

Options
  • 10-04-2014 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm thinking of finally making my first purchase after years of staring at the sky and stellarium.

I still know relatively very little about astronomy aside from pointing out a few well known stars and nebula in the sky.

Anyway, money is an issue for me, as I dont have a lot of it but my birthday is coming up soon and I'm thinking of purchasing one once and for all with a bit of extra cash if I receive any.

I read that the Orion Space probe 3 is probably one of the best scopes you can buy for under €200, so it seems like a good option for a tripod telescope seeing as I'm not too crazy about the idea of a tabletop scope.

I see it here for €140 which seems like a fair enough price. http://www.scopesandspace.ie/products/details/orion-spaceprobe-3-equatorial-reflector-telescope/395

So what do you think? Is it worth it?
    Should I go with a different scope or a refractor?
    Should I buy from a different website?

Also, I'm curious to know can I buy a cheap solar filter for this scope? Is it even capable of observing the sun?

I know these threads are probably done too much in here, but I'd love to hear some feedback. Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

tbh you will see very little through a 3-inch reflector, if its your first piece of kit I think you're better off with a quality pair of binoculars like these, which make it easier to learn your way around the night sky, before then progressing to a 'serious' telescope (at least €300).

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Spete

Also, why buy new. There's plenty of cheap-ish scopes on adverts etc. I just acquired a Meade ETX70 for 65 euro's, which will do nicely for a while. It's not massive, but can be used for a beginner (in my humble opinion, being one)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

Going to echo previous post.Binoculars and tripod would be the best option for your budget.from 3" scope you are going to get acceptable views of planets and deep sky stuff is going to be a pig to navigate with that focal ratio.
    If you are going to go second hand route make sure to have a look at astro buy and sell uk.

Advertisement