Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not allowed sick leave and other problems

Options
  • 10-04-2014 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Hoping to get opinions here on what to do on my situation. As part of my course, I have work experience which I started in January. It was tough from the start, working ridiculous hours (up to 90 a week) of very physical, unpaid work. It was okay when there were several of us but now there's only myself and the owner and it's been very difficult. In the last month, I've been developing problems with my hands and have been in and out of the doctor on my day off. I've also had problems with other aspects of the job, for example one day I didn't get food or a bathroom break from 7am til 5pm as I was given too much to do.
    Knowing I couldn't continue like this, I had a meeting with the office in charge of the work experience and in that meeting I broke down from sheer exhaustion and pain. The office agreed to find me a different placement and told me to go to the doctor to get time off. I did, and after breaking down in the doctors again, I was told to take a minimum of two weeks and that if another placement is found in that time, I can go straight to that. However, upon informing my boss that I needed two weeks off, she told me I was only to take one week starting next week. I haven't even told her about moving yet as I don't know how to, so I'm back at work today.
    My biggest problem is that I need a good reference from her so I can't just leave. I'm at a loss here...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Go back to the office in charge and update them as to the situation. They have said they would find you a new placement so let them do that. You have shown yourself to be willing and able so this won't be held against you. The placement was obviously poorly chosen to begin with, and that is on them. They have a duty of care to their students so let them sort this out. Take your two weeks from Monday and let them tell your boss you won't be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Firstly check with the placement officer over the number of hours agreed with them.
    By law the max you can work is 48 hours. There is also legislation regarding breaks.

Secondly, if your doctor has certified you unfit for work you don't need to arrange to take that time off with the your boss.
    You are medically certified and that's the end of it. Phone in sick and tell him your certified for 2 weeks. From my time managing staff, if they were out sick and wanted to come back early they had to be certified fit by a doctor as they weren't insured otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

This is true. If you are certified sick you should be off from today, never mind next Monday. Sick leave is not holiday leave, it does not need to be negotiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What is your course in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Thanks for the replies,
    There were no established hours. This is a failing that the office admitted to during my meeting with them.
    It's an equine based course, which isn't the most straight forward to deal with. I knew working in a yard would be hard work and I've no problem with that but this is slightly overboard...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Looks like they are taking you for a ride, admittedly some industries ignore employment laws when there's a deadline but its usually only at the first rung of the ladder and for a short period at busy times, but this looks different.

My take is, you are studying this sector with a view to working in it, given the totally unprofessional way your 'work experience' has been handled, do you think this company has your health or livelihood at the front of their mind? If you end up with a strain in your hands that lasts for a few months you won't be able to work anywhere.

Ring in sick tomorrow and take your 2 weeks off and organise another place to do your work experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That's why I asked about the industry: the horse business is notorious for this, and has a very poor safety record for employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Thanks again for the replies people. In a pleasantly surprising turn around, my boss told me that if I needed to leave, she would understand completely and she is sorry to see me go... It was quite unexpected but I'm glad it leaves things on a good note :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Thats good for you, maybe you should explain to her the reasons you want to leave.
    They may be willing to address them...or not.
    Best of luck.

Advertisement