Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got learner permit...confused?!?

• 10-04-2014 10:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

The good news is I got my LP exactly 3 weeks after going to the NDLS.

The bad news is I'm not sure what I got?

Basically I had a provisional, when I was last driving back from 99 to 2001 but it lapsed in 2003.

In 2013 (before the licence laws changed) I applied for a eb provisional and a month later passed my eb test and got my full eb licence added to my b and m licence.

However when I went into NDLS they could not issue me with the learner permit as I already had a provisional outstanding and in date. When the guy at the desk looked into it apparantly they never cancelled my eb provisional after I got my full eb.

He hummed and hawed and got managers and no one know what to do, he had to call head office eventually he came back and said he thinks they have sorted it and it should be grand.

So today I get my licence and I don't know if I am under the old or new system.

It seems I got my first A permit issued in 2001 (and a1 in 1999) so the 6 month rule does not apply and I can sit my test immediately. But the A2 I got in March this year...

Does this mean I can skip the IBT and just apply for the test?

Nomention of being restricted either?

Completely confused...
    See attached for my licence restrictions...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

deegs wrote: »

Basically I had a provisional, when I was last driving back from 99 to 2001 but it lapsed in 2003.

In 2013 (before the licence laws changed) I applied for a eb provisional and a month later passed my eb test and got my full eb licence added to my b and m licence.

However when I went into NDLS they could not issue me with the learner permit as I already had a provisional outstanding and in date. When the guy at the desk looked into it apparantly they never cancelled my eb provisional after I got my full eb.

He hummed and hawed and got managers and no one know what to do, he had to call head office eventually he came back and said he thinks they have sorted it and it should be grand.

It seems I got my first A permit issued in 2001 (and a1 in 1999) so the 6 month rule does not apply and I can sit my test immediately. But the A2 I got in March this year...

Completely confused...

All categories on that permit have 991, first permit in category, as your old permit must have been out of date by more than 10 years.

So you would have to wait six months to sit a test on a first permit, you will also have to do IBT.

Best to complete IBT 1,3,5 for category 'A' then you will be unrestricted to practice for your test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Roadcraft wrote: »
    So you would have to wait six months to sit a test on a first permit, you will also have to do IBT.
    OK thanks,
    This is the part that threw me out... is the website wrong?
    http://www.rsa.ie/rsa/learner-drivers/safe-driving1/6-month-rule/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Earlier bike permit is of no relevance as the entitlement is expired (5 years). You are classed as complete beginner on the bikes. You will have the do the IBT modules as you are under the new system. The RSA website has a good section on bikes.

Completely confused...

Vologda69 wrote: »
    Earlier bike permit is of no relevance as the entitlement is expired (5 years). You are classed as complete beginner on the bikes. You will have the do the IBT modules as you are under the new system. The RSA website has a good section on bikes.
    As it happens I have completed the IBT and was told I don't have to wait 6 months to apply for the test...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

As it happens I have completed the IBT and was told I don't have to wait 6 months to apply for the test...

You dont have to wait six months before applying for a test, but you can not sit the test until you have held you permit for six months on a first permit, code 991.

• Advertisement

You dont have to wait six months before applying for a test, but you can not sit the test until you have held you permit for six months on a first permit, code 991.

What I meant was my IBT instructor said I can apply and sit the test immediately as per the RSA its 6 months from the 2001 date on the licence.

As per http://www.rsa.ie/rsa/learner-drivers/safe-driving1/6-month-rule/

I said that some instructors (here on boards) said that it was from when this current permit was issued... they didn't think this was the case.

I've emailed my licence to RSA but I've not had any word back...

Have you come across this scenario before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

What I meant was my IBT instructor said I can apply and sit the test immediately as per the RSA its 6 months from the 2001 date on the licence.

As per http://www.rsa.ie/rsa/learner-drivers/safe-driving1/6-month-rule/

I said that some instructors (here on boards) said that it was from when this current permit was issued... they didn't think this was the case.

I've emailed my licence to RSA but I've not had any word back...

Have you come across this scenario before?

All previous permits only retain an entitlement for five years. Your permit expired in 2003, and the entitlement in 2008. It would therefore have no bearing on the 6 month rule. Your current licence has the 991 notation, so it seems you would have to wait 6 months. If you contact the Rsa & licensingqueries@rsa.ie they will give you the definitive answer.

Vologda69 wrote: »
    All previous permits only retain an entitlement for five years. Your permit expired in 2003, and the entitlement in 2008. It would therefore have no bearing on the 6 month rule. Your current licence has the 991 notation, so it seems you would have to wait 6 months. If you contact the Rsa & licensingqueries@rsa.ie they will give you the definitive answer.
    Thanks, I sent them the photo again last night. Will see if they reply.

RSA rang me today.
    Definitive answer is that even though the 991 code is there I can book my test immediately. No need to wait as my first provisional licence was in 2001. She said I would have to wait 6 months for my A2 as this is new, but for A1 or A no wait is needed.

Might be useful to someone in a similiar position in the future.

Advertisement