Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Canada.... What will happen to pension?

Options
  • 10-04-2014 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some advice.

I'm Canadian and my husband is Irish.
    We've decided that it's time to spread our wings and leave Ireland.

Now, I was wondering if my husband has a pension, what exactly will happen to it when we leave?

Can we claim it? What are the Irish rules? Or will it be sitting in a bank for 50 years untouched..

I tried citizenship information and they said we can claim like 30% of the AVC?
    He works for the Irish government.. but worked private sector before he got that job 5 years ago.

Not sure what they mean about Additional Voluntary Contributions, is that by my husbands contributions or the jobs?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

AVCs are extra contributions that your husband had the option to voluntarily make, over and above his compulsory contribution. If he made no extra voluntary contribution (he would have had to agree to this in writing) then there's no AVCs to get 30% of and the whole pension will have to either stay where it is (often the cheapest thing to do) or be moved into a PRSA or transferred to an "approved scheme" in Canada (I have no idea if there even are any such schemes, revenue would have to advise there).

Advertisement