Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeds question

• 10-04-2014 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I'm wondering my seeds are coming up too quickly?

On Sunday 6th April I sowed Cabbage, Broccoli, Sweetcorn seeds in trays of compost.
    I don't have a greenhouse, so I put the trays in large ziplock plastic bags and left on sunny windowsill.

This morning, I noticed the little seedlings are poking their heads up already.

I wonder is too soon? Was my brainwave not so good?

Thanks for any replies,
    Lj.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Nope, all good, as long as you don't let them get too leggy...Pot on when required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Groundsource

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi All

I put the trays in large ziplock plastic bags and left on sunny windowsill.

Lj.

Great tip, must try it.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Great tip, must try it.;)

they need taking out of the plastic as soon as they have germinated. trust me! else many will be lost.
    damping off, rotting..
    some seed merchants say this clearly.

i would not use this for the hardy seeds you are sowing, only for more fragile and exotic plants.
    will also need care in hardening off which is not so without the plastic

only one i use that for now is mesembryanthemum

could be useful for runners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Graces7 wrote: »
    they need taking out of the plastic as soon as they have germinated. trust me! else many will be lost.
    damping off, rotting..
    some seed merchants say this clearly.

i would not use this for the hardy seeds you are sowing, only for more fragile and exotic plants.
    will also need care in hardening off which is not so without the plastic

only one i use that for now is mesembryanthemum

could be useful for runners
    Thanks Graces7
    plastic is now off!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,677 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agree with Graces, would also move the cabbage and brocolli to a cooler (but still bright spot, and outside as soon as possible - put them outside during the day and bring them in at night for a few nights, then leave them out provided frost is not threatened.

The sweetcorn would probably be ok in the warmer spot for a while, but as Graces said, don't let them get leggy.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Agree with Graces, would also move the cabbage and brocolli to a cooler (but still bright spot, and outside as soon as possible - put them outside during the day and bring them in at night for a few nights, then leave them out provided frost is not threatened.

The sweetcorn would probably be ok in the warmer spot for a while, but as Graces said, don't let them get leggy.

Thanks for your reply look see
    The cabbage are about an inch high, with two little leaves.
    Is this considered leggy? wonder should I sow a new tray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,677 ✭✭✭✭looksee

ellejay wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply look see
    The cabbage are about an inch high, with two little leaves.
    Is this considered leggy? wonder should I sow a new tray

I would say, yes, they are getting leggy, but if you can get them into enough light and they are really no more than an inch they will probably be ok. The two little leaves are the seed leaves, not the 'proper' leaves. You need to get them into a bright, sheltered place for a few days until they start producing real leaves, then thin them out/transplant them. You will transplant them again to their permanent growing site when they have made sturdy little plants.

This is the hardest stage of growing seeds, getting them to germinate, but then making sure they are not too packed tight, not too warm and have enough light so they don't grow too tall before they start to produce leaves. You really have to keep a close eye on them.

thanks very much
    i'll keep a close watch on them

Advertisement