Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new ICBF Proofs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Canaryblue

Farrell wrote: »
    Is there a reason you're using high maternal Bulls & do you have pics of the calves

Decided we wanted better cows. Domino, Indurain, CF52 bloodlines had let us with some pretty but not very practical and high maintenance cows. I guess it's different if you're breeding for society sales but we figured we'd be better off if we could improve the cows while not compromising too much on the quality of the bulls. The 3 bulls I mentioned should all deliver quality fit for purpose bulls, also they're not just high on ICBF they also have very good figures in France.

First Vittoz calf below, shes about 2.5 months old.

IMG_20160826_134749_zps8ogbnbak.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Canaryblue wrote: »
    Decided we wanted better cows. Domino, Indurain, CF52 bloodlines had let us with some pretty but not very practical and high maintenance cows. I guess it's different if you're breeding for society sales but we figured we'd be better off if we could improve the cows while not compromising too much on the quality of the bulls. The 3 bulls I mentioned should all deliver quality fit for purpose bulls, also they're not just high on ICBF they also have very good figures in France.

First Vittoz calf below, shes about 2.5 months old.

IMG_20160826_134749_zps8ogbnbak.jpg
    Sounds like you're on the button.
    What type of bull would you put on her, as you've used a high maternal to combat a low maternal parentage, plus you've good terminal traits in the ancestors

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Canaryblue

Farrell wrote: »
    Sounds like you're on the button.
    What type of bull would you put on her, as you've used a high maternal to combat a low maternal parentage, plus you've good terminal traits in the ancestors

Ah well her cow is Blelack Digger going back to a Nelson cow so I wouldn't exactly say there's low maternal parentage. I suppose you could afford to go more terminal but if I wouldn't go full whack and use something like LGL either. If I was to pick a current bull it'd probably be Castor or maybe even Fiston.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Canaryblue wrote: »
    Ah well her cow is Blelack Digger going back to a Nelson cow so I wouldn't exactly say there's low maternal parentage. I suppose you could afford to go more terminal but if I wouldn't go full whack and use something like LGL either. If I was to pick a current bull it'd probably be Castor or maybe even Fiston.

Have you any calves off Fiston, he's very easy calved anyway, his calves fall out of cows, they hardly know they've calved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

wiggy123 wrote:
    some the angus bulls took a big hit..others zoomed up! must have changed the computer programming!! into angus..so didn't check the other breeds--say mayb same senario

I has a look again tonroe udi and tonroe lord Ian. Both bulls are in ai and both are full brothers. Both bulls have got same terminal score but Ian has a better maternal than udi. Unfortunately for angus there is not more bulls like udi around as he brecon great stock only to end early due to health.. this is why these stars know will never understand the measurements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

true.. both are full brothers--but all these stars / %'s are computer generated--and depend on what figures/info folk are putting in about there calves.. that's were I think system is flawed..relying on honest info from folk

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Seems like the official excel has been released..... http://www.icbf.com/?p=6133

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Seems like the official excel has been released..... http://www.icbf.com/?p=6133

Don't seem to be any changes from the provisional one on the Bulls I was looking at anyway.

Thought they would have made changes seeing as they withdrew the file last week! Strange that....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

There's s lot of data still missing if you look at the file.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement

some bulls took big hit.. speaking of angus bulls only now

wiggy123 wrote: »

on angus I don't believe the calving rating given to Goulding Eamon GZJ at 4.5%.. he is off Bosollow elmark... a cow killer whose calving diff at 10% is too low, a half brother to Nightingale Dunbar...another cow killer who is too low at 8% difficulty...I know some Ped folks that have used Dunbar & never again..so how this bull finished up on a maternal program as there will be some vet calls getting his calves out

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

wiggy123 wrote: »
    Which ones?

ZFL has gone up from 120 to 140. MLJ up 8 to 118.
    Some very strong Aubracs for maternal coming through, johnstown ian is in the gene Ireland programe, and is +32 kg for carcass. Aubracs need to be >€146 to get 5 star within the breed.

on angus I don't believe the calving rating given to Goulding Eamon GZJ at 4.5%

Bellview that will be interesting alright, looking at his linear assessment he is big in every direction.

I wonder how stock bulls will look in a couple of weeks?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote:
    on angus I don't believe the calving rating given to Goulding Eamon GZJ at 4.5%

blue5000 wrote:
    Bellview that will be interesting alright, looking at his linear assessment he is big in every direction.

blue5000 wrote:
    I wonder how stock bulls will look in a couple of weeks?

Agreed the stock bulls will be interesting. Hopefully the computer will hammer then and force us down ai only route

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Bellview wrote: »
    Agreed the stock bulls will be interesting. Hopefully the computer will hammer then and force us down ai only route

Why would you say that?:confused:

Parishlad wrote:
    Why would you say that?

I may be too cynical.

westellen diego a bull I used..has gone down!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Every bull I have used has gone down.

I can't open that file, has OZS changed much? What is the calving difficulty for ZCH now?

wiggy123 wrote:
    westellen diego a bull I used..has gone down!

Didn't you use him in ped. I saw on another thread he has the myostatin gene. Worth checking if true

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    I can't open that file, has OZS changed much? What is the calving difficulty for ZCH now?

from the excel file I have open. OZS is 96 replacement and 111 terminal. ZCH is 108, 109 and 9.1% calving diff

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Well today is the 11/9 and i don't see the proofs updated?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Supposed to be this week, at least we know christmas is the 25/12 every year.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Latest icbf info now available

ZAG gone through the roof (until next proof is out anyway.. )

Nearly 4500 calves born since the May release, numbers like that wouldn't be long upping reliabilities.

Good to see that alrite and hopefully he stays that way but not a single heifer calved off him yet and only six progeny recorded as slaughtered off him so it could all change yet.
    KJB had all the stars last year and he's been on the slide since.

tanko wrote: »

Good to see that alrite and hopefully he stays that way but not a single heifer calved off him yet and only six progeny recorded as slaughtered off him so it could all change yet.
    KJB had all the stars last year and he's been on the slide since.

Very true - and KJB reliability was much higher than ZAG when he had those high figures. Coming to conclusion that should enjoy stars if they rise up but don't bank on a bull holding onto them for the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Has anyone checked their herds stars since this was updated last night?

Its only showing a few of mine with no figures at all for the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

croot wrote: »
    Has anyone checked their herds stars since this was updated last night?

Its only showing a few of mine with no figures at all for the rest.
    Have 2 with no rating, but some took a good whack.
    Also noticed value up & stars down

Advertisement