Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new ICBF Proofs

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

croot wrote: »
    Has anyone checked their herds stars since this was updated last night?

Its only showing a few of mine with no figures at all for the rest.

Just had a look there now, did you look again since?

One thing I'm learning from this is don't put all the eggs in one basket, use more than one bull. My angus bull has gone down €13 and the aubrac has gone up.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Gives me a great feeling when I see a bull I sold a few years ago do the business for his new owner. Gives you that spur to keep going with everything!

attachment.php?attachmentid=396897

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

blue5000 wrote: »
    Just had a look there now, did you look again since?

One thing I'm learning from this is don't put all the eggs in one basket, use more than one bull. My angus bull has gone down €13 and the aubrac has gone up.
    My bull went up €12 and a good few cows have dropped a star out of an old bull, a bundle of 6 year old cows all calved at 24mths and none of them missed a calf since. You'd wonder at times is it a game of roulette your playing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

My bull went up €12 and a good few cows have dropped a star out of an old bull, a bundle of 6 year old cows all calved at 24mths and none of them missed a calf since. You'd wonder at times is it a game of roulette your playing :rolleyes:

Its based on the cows ancestry not on the cows themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

I dont know if you are joking but I suppose the whole BGDB scheme is a bit of a joke at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I know how it "works"

Can you explain APZ then:rolleyes:?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭limo_100

needless to say he makes a return to beef catologe next week to a heros welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Genotyped daughters had impressive figures perhaps . didn't someone say he had a lot of daughters calve at young ages and that increased his maternal clfing diff . and decreased the euro stars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

i just had a quick look at the revised numbers for my little set up. the only conclusion i can come to is i'm must be making a complete hames of breeding... all my replacement heifers that will calve in the next 2/3 months are 2*/3*. They will calve at 27 months of age so might give them a star for good luck :-)

Another concern I have is how stock bulls are being measured. I have a few cows out of CYI stock bull and they are still showing low eventhough CYI has replacement has moved from a low of 37 to 78. when I checked the son of CYI (who is now dead) his rating moved from 41 (which aligns with 37 above) to 45. how the son only jumped 4 when the daddy jumped 41 makes no sense.

Using older bloodline seem to suffer in stars also. I also noticed that Bohey Jasper has taken a nose dive..ironically ask any pedigree guy their opinion would they take a few BJP straws the majority would jump at the chance as they are just good cattle... even dairy guys like bohey jasper bulls as easy calved and a nice type calf to sell on.

will stay in the scheme and lets see how we get on when i fall below the 50% threshold which will happen looking at trend above... as all the heifers above will be staying once they are healthy & calf every 365 days (or less)..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Stock bull dropped again in replacement and jumped in terminal. Have 6 off him AId and now they are either 2 or 3 star.

If these numbers existed 8 months ago, I would have bought replacements and kept bull. Lovely cattle out of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Father had a bull off SLV who has gone from 4 to 2 in stars.
    Normally SLV held well with stars, & I put in PB incalf to him due to that.
    Now do I pray for a bull or a heifer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

how can u get most recent report..re ones herd? checked icbf there-no go

wiggy123 wrote: »
    how can u get most recent report..re ones herd? checked icbf there-no go

There is a report after being put up, but beef eurostar under application should give the details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

ok thanks.. will do that
    checked my handful of cows-some went down!
    no harm, is it all a ploy-justification for these 4/5 star heifer sales.. to make suckler men spend big
    to me a cow/hfr should never drop 2/3 stars in a given year.. 1 star drop could be understandable

what will the computer programme generate...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭reps4

Hi.

When I go to my icbf, stars have been updated but the column still had no to confirm if genotype.

So are these latest genotype stars and when will icbf update to give genotypes results or are they published yet.

wiggy123 wrote: »
    some bulls took big hit.. speaking of angus bulls only now
    Bellview wrote: »
    Agreed the stock bulls will be interesting. Hopefully the computer will hammer them and force us down ai only route

Did a quick calculation there and my herd average has dropped by 15 points to 85 from 100 since may. I would have a lot of angus genetics in the cows from stock bulls. Funnily enough I've 2 by cows by ZFL and they are up around 150. My young Angus bull has lost a star, but still ok for BDGP scheme. I might have to go shopping if he loses another star.

On the + side with genomics the re-liabilities are all up. Hopefully things won't be any worse next time. I have to say it does make sense, I kept a few blonde x cows by a terminal bull and even though their calves have good conformation, they are lighter. The highest blonde cow is around 58 for maternal and the worst one is in Simmenthal territory at -22:o.

....... I have to say it does make sense

I know I'm selectively quoting you but I have a heifer and her dad is +8 on last figures. Her dam was slaughtered but her maternal grandsire is +42 and her granddam (still in the herd) is +8 so add all up and divide by 2 or 4 if you like or maybe even 8 and the result is .......... -16. Figure that one out.

I know I'm selectively quoting you but I have a heifer and her dad is +8 on last figures. Her dam was slaughtered but her maternal grandsire is +42 and her granddam (still in the herd) is +8 so add all up and divide by 2 or 4 if you like or maybe even 8 and the result is .......... -16. Figure that one out.

What age did she calve first at? Reason I'm asking is it's the only variation I can find.

Has anyone else noticed the new tab for Genotype when you search for a bull? Can someone explain what it means?! The screen grab is of Blelack Digger....

attachment.php?attachmentid=397023

• Advertisement

Similar here, sire at €16, dam €8 & calf €8 .... expecting €12

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭greenpetrol

There are too many AI company directors involved in icbf and the genomic scheme . My sneaky suspicion is the majority of stock Bulls will keep dropping forcing more farmers into AI

I think the green on left shows current proof with genomic info included, middle column is what his current figures would be like WITHOUT genomics. Interesting though, I hadn't seen it before.

There are too many AI company directors involved in icbf and the genomic scheme . My sneaky suspicion is the majority of stock Bulls will keep dropping forcing more farmers into AI

I don't know TBH I've had a couple of stock bulls have better maternal figures than their sires in AI. Maybe I should start collecting semen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭limo_100

my stock bull has gone from a 1star to a 3star with and index of 66. Is he likely to come anymore or is his faith sealed?

What age did she calve first at? Reason I'm asking is it's the only variation I can find.
    26 months

I think the green on left shows current proof with genomic info included, middle column is what his current figures would be like WITHOUT genomics. Interesting though, I hadn't seen it before.
    Ya I'm reading the same, it's like a way for them to try and prove the difference between genotyping and not genotyping your animal

Ya I'm reading the same, it's like a way for them to try and prove the difference between genotyping and not genotyping your animal

Why does age of first calving vary with genotyping. Shouldn't it be that same with or without genotyping? I'd have thought that's one figure you cant vary. She either calved or didn't. Genotyping wont change that.

Why does age of first calving vary with genotyping. Shouldn't it be that same with or without genotyping? I'd have thought that's one figure you cant vary. She either calved or didn't. Genotyping wont change that.

I reckon if the cow calved at 36 months instead of 24 months she'd be worth less. If her dam and grand dam calved at 24 months and she calved at 36 months it might account for the difference.
    Milk in the sire seems to be heavily weighted though. Weighing the weanlings helps improve the reliability.

• Advertisement

limo_100 wrote: »
    my stock bull has gone from a 1star to a 3star with and index of 66. Is he likely to come anymore or is his faith sealed?

If he's related to APZ anything is possible, I reckon APZ will have wings in the next proof.:rolleyes:

Advertisement