Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new ICBF Proofs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Why have the stars been updated again when it was only done last month? I thought that was a 2 times/year event?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

wiggy123 wrote: »
    is like the lottery @ times, these proofs.. mine rose + dropped a little.. like in 3 months! mad...

You wouldn't want to pay to much attention to them anymore. Breed the animal you want and quality will always command top prices in the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Why have the stars been updated again when it was only done last month? I thought that was a 2 times/year event?

Because it's time for the random moving of the crossbars!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

You wouldn't want to pay to much attention to them anymore. Breed the animal you want and quality will always command top prices in the ring.

Totally agree. Breed the best you can and the stars are incidental. If shes high stars great if shes not what harm.

It next to impossible to select bulls based on the index anyway because by the time the calf is on the ground the index's of both dam and sire will have changed twice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sugarbowl wrote: »

I can only guess it might be because this year's genotyping results are in the new one.

Few up and down here too, biggest swings I noticed is cows that were held over without calving have dropped 20-30 points.

Blonde x cows have dropped a lot as well but there's only 6 left, one of them is -45 ebi, she's also lame and mad as a brush, so that will be an easy decision whenever she doesn't go in calf.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Dec proofs up now on Bull Search.

I see on the Limousin bulls GOLDIES JACKPOT gone to 9.2% on calving. Also MOONDHARRIG KNELL took a hit on docility.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Sportmans Columbo anyone?
    Looks a cracking bull tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Sportmans Columbo anyone?
    Looks a cracking bull tbf

Haven’t used him but supposed to bring style

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Clenagh Lyle looks the business. Son of Domino, sold for 13k.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Haven’t used him but supposed to bring style

23.5% calving didficulty also.

• Advertisement

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Clenagh Lyle looks the business. Son of Domino, sold for 13k.

Is he in ai.
    Hadnt heard of the clenagh herd until a year or two ago and now they seem to be very famous.
    Clenagh jasper is a great bull for dovea imo.

Is he in ai.
    Hadnt heard of the clenagh herd until a year or two ago and now they seem to be very famous.

Bullbank.ie have Clenagh Lyle straws, it doesnt say how much they are.

Is he in ai.

Iv a good heifer calf off jasper born a week ago.
    I seen him when sold at the cracker sale. A good shapey bull.

tanko wrote: »
    Bullbank.ie have Clenagh Lyle straws, it doesnt say how much they are.

10e per straw on done deal. I seen clenagh midchief is 16e, steep enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Simmental.

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    I seen clenagh midchief is 16e, steep enough.

I got a few straws when he was €8 a few months ago. There must have been demand for him to say they upped the price so soon. €16 is steep for an unproven bull with no recorded calvings.

Simmental. wrote: »
    I got a few straws when he was €8 a few months ago. There must have been demand for him to say they upped the price so soon. €16 is steep for an unproven bull with no recorded calvings.

Ya it's a big jump. Looks a good bull, but most reckon he will be very hard calved.
    Had my first CSQ calf last week, a real good bull calf off a saler cow. Heard he's gone now too.

Had a cow calve just there. She calved last year on 15 feb, 312 days ago.
    I worked out her calving interval and it's 336 days over 4 calves.
    Her mother calved 2 weeks ago and it's her 13th calf with a calving interval over those 13 years of 327 days. (Edit, sorry should be 354 days).
    It's the kind of thing you don't see when you buy a cow or heifer in the mart but for me, this is where the star ratings show their true value. I wish all my cows were as good.

Her mother calved 2 weeks ago and it's her 13th calf with a calving interval over those 13 years of 327 days.
    It's the kind of thing you don't see when you buy a cow or heifer in the mart but for me, this is where the star ratings show their true value. I wish all my cows were as good.

Have a cow with a dau. calving interval of -7 days. Comes bulling at 6 weeks every year since she was a heifer, her daughter is -8 now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Her mother calved 2 weeks ago and it's her 13th calf with a calving interval over those 13 years of 327 days. (Edit, sorry should be 354 days).

Hi patsy are these cows 4 i or 5 stars. I have similar here with a few old cows and their stars are 1 and 2...their daughters stars also low but to be honest they are staying as they breed a nice type calf annually. I agree stars should help here but when I take these ladies that I have ir defies this logic...again these cows are off stock bulls and my opinion the proofs are anti stock bulls as goes against certain board members commercial interests

Bellview wrote: »
    Hi patsy are these cows 4 i or 5 stars. I have similar here with a few old cows and their stars are 1 and 2...their daughters stars also low but to be honest they are staying as they breed a nice type calf annually. I agree stars should help here but when I take these ladies that I have ir defies this logic...again these cows are off stock bulls and my opinion the proofs are anti stock bulls as goes against certain board members commercial interests

The mother cow was bought in. 5 Stars Replacement and about 80% simm and 20% lim. She's 4 stars for milk and 5 stars for calving interval. Also genotyped.

Her daughter is by Ardlea Dan (ADX). 3 stars replacement, 1 star fro milk and 5 for calving interval. ADX is one of the best bulls for fertility but no milk. Genotyped too.
    To be honest I was thinking of getting rid of her as she lacks milk but since I looked at her calving interval, a milky bull would breed good of her. Saler might suit as she's very muscley.

Point I was making about stars is they agree great with what I am seeing myself.

• Advertisement

All figures for bulls, cows etc updated today.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Simmental.

I see that they are looking find out if TB and liver fluke resistance is genetically linked. They are doing the same thing with scour and pneumonia in the BDGP. It will be interesting to see if there is any link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

where the previous proofs for your herd...cannot see it there now-to compare

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Simmental. wrote: »
    I see that they are looking find out if TB and liver fluke resistance is genetically linked. They are doing the same thing with scour and pneumonia in the BDGP. It will be interesting to see if there is any link.

They already have info on bulls where some offspring are prone to tb and others are not but they won't release the info

Mooooo wrote: »
    They already have info on bulls where some offspring are prone to tb and others are not but they won't release the info

I stand corrected excel file has it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mooooo wrote: »
    I stand corrected excel file has it up
    Have you a link for that, Mooooo? Asking for a friend:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

wiggy123 wrote: »
    where the previous proofs for your herd...cannot see it there now-to compare

You can go into evaluation history on icbf and their all there. you have to go into the individual cows profile first.

Have you a link for that, Mooooo? Asking for a friend:pac:

https://www.icbf.com/wp/?p=9918
    Scroll down and it should be there on the page with the new genetic evaluations. An excel file. Talked to rep and he said the info is included as part of the health index but I'll be looking at bulls with a higher resistance to tb as per that info once it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

when are next bull proofs out

• Advertisement

Advertisement