Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new ICBF Proofs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Mooooo wrote: »
    https://www.icbf.com/wp/?p=9918
    Scroll down and it should be there on the page with the new genetic evaluations. An excel file. Talked to rep and he said the info is included as part of the health index but I'll be looking at bulls with a higher resistance to tb as per that info once it's there.

we had a presentation from icbf a few weeks ago on the resistence. its interesting datapoints...who knows over time the icbf team might find the gene that helps resistance as that would be super beneficial to all farmers especially if using stock bulls...as all data on their site is for ai bulls

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mooooo wrote: »
    https://www.icbf.com/wp/?p=9918
    Scroll down and it should be there on the page with the new genetic evaluations. An excel file. Talked to rep and he said the info is included as part of the health index but I'll be looking at bulls with a higher resistance to tb as per that info once it's there.

In my experience that gene won't be found in blondes anyway, will be interesting to see how reliable it is.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

The data is sketchy enough. While they have lots of data points they have very few for individual bulls.
    It has huge potential but I wouldn’t base my breeding decisions off it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I got a letter yesterday about the TB genetic resistance. Interesting to say the least. I had a brief look at the list. See that the Limousin bull Castleview Gringo is showing up poorly.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

They're in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

I got a letter yesterday about the TB genetic resistance. Interesting to say the least. I had a brief look at the list. See that the Limousin bull Castleview Gringo is showing up poorly.

Where did that letter come from patsy? Thanks, Mac

Mac Taylor wrote: »

ICBF, But it doesn't reference any scheme.

I see there is a new TAB now for TB and Liver Fluke in the bull search.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Got it too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

They're in.

Everything dropped again. Bull was €95 replacement when I bought him genotyped and now €49. Sick of the scheme now.

Everything dropped again. Bull was €95 replacement when I bought him genotyped and now €49. Sick of the scheme now.
    18 months to go and its all over...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Bellview wrote: »
    18 months to go and its all over...

I know but definitely one I regret entering.

Buying a stock bull the last few years is nearly as bad as backing horses:( I have to replace the aubrac this year, no idea what to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

blue5000 wrote: »
    Buying a stock bull the last few years is nearly as bad as backing horses:( I have to replace the aubrac this year, no idea what to get.

I know a lad that has a lovely limousin bull out of zag and a dancer dam if your interested :D

I know a lad that has a lovely limousin bull out of zag and a dancer dam if your interested :D

No thanks, my cattle are mad enough as it is:eek:, got my chest stood on by a lim cow and got stuck to a wall once by a lim bull. Since then I avoid the breed.

Might go for a poor man's Charolais blonde, had one before, they're good as a terminal sire if you finish them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

yep everything down. cows genotyped as 5 stars drop €30 down to three stars. they must be looking to recoup some money off us. I never paid to much attention to it just did enough to tick the boxes so I'd get paid. I'll have to have a look to see where I stand on qualification for it now. there taking out a good few of my strong 5* cows evertime

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    yep everything down. cows genotyped as 5 stars drop €30 down to three stars. they must be looking to recoup some money off us. I never paid to much attention to it just did enough to tick the boxes so I'd get paid. I'll have to have a look to see where I stand on qualification for it now. there taking out a good few of my strong 5* cows evertime
    It doesn't matter. If they are genotyped and are 4 or 5 star it doesnt matter if they change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

It doesn't matter. If they are genotyped and are 4 or 5 star it doesnt matter if they change

oh right I hear ya. but it still would make you wonder why an animal would drop €30 and the reliability would only have gone up 1%

blue5000 wrote: »

Why settle for second best, when you can have a ...... Charolais
    Premier sale in Elohim tomorrow
    Could be worth a look

TITANIUM. wrote: »

oh right I hear ya. but it still would make you wonder why an animal would drop €30 and the reliability would only have gone up 1%
    Bigger issue is if you have daughters that are calves now and not genomic tested they could struggle to hit the 4 star bar if they are staying... I have had similar issues .. I thought they read the gene and gave a rating...but for me the only thing the gene does is sorts parentage which is great for pedigrees

Dairy Beef tab up now on the bull search;
    https://webapp.icbf.com/v2/app/bull-search/

Some examples of values;

FL22 = € 75 @3%; calving
    ERE = - € 232 (minus) @ 15.1% calving

Big emphasis on calving & gestation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Anyone know when the next run of proofs are being issued?

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Anyone know when the next run of proofs are being issued?

Tuesday, 21 May 2019.
    https://www.icbf.com/wp/?page_id=11285

know-when-its-time-to-incorporate-your-business.jpg

Genetic Evaluations Help Documnet.
    Crazy stuff but worth a read. Top link on the following;

https://www.icbf.com/wp/?page_id=200

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I don't actually fcuking believe it. The bull that won reserve for me was 4 stars all his life, dropped to 3 stars in the March evaluation, back up to 4 again.
    Shower of cnuts. May they catch incurable hemorrhoids!
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

How much did that affect his bloody price. I could actually thump someone right now.

groundhog-day-columbia.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=644%2C429&ssl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Got a letter today from ICBF asking me to participate in GREENBREED “which is a five year collaborative research project involving ICBF, Teagaac and UCD, WIT and CIT.
    It aims to develop, validate and deploy the necessary tools and strategies to achieve greater genetic gain in environmental and economic efficiency.
    It will seek to establish an optimal breeding program that will help reduce the beef sectors environmental footprint by incorporating key environmental traits into genetic evaluations”.
    “As a GREENBREED herd the following benefits are available:
    Large discounted rates for genotyping.
    Potential involvement in pilot DNA based calf registration.”

I have something to light the fire with in the morning at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭50HX

Got the same here,

They should have picked the herds they wanted and just give them free genotyping

What you doing lighting a fire in this weather:D

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Same letter here.
    Only Cows are "free" for future genotyping and calves 11euros which is OK but won't most cows be genotyped anyway hence why the herd has been selected in first place, but I think there'll be alot of letters sent out.

• Advertisement

pure breed wrote: »
    Same letter here.
    Only Cows are "free" for future genotyping and calves 11euros which is OK but won't most cows be genotyped anyway hence why the herd has been selected in first place, but I think there'll be alot of letters sent out.

Gave them a call
    It’s a recording program - whole herd, dna tags & weights.
    Ideally a few weights through out the year, the farmer can diy
    Commercial stock will only be weighed while PB stock will be scored & weighed on WHPR visit.
    They will not be interfering in breeding program

Advertisement